Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New "Shredder forum"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Feel free to put a picture of your favorite shredder in this forum. If you have questions about the best thing to use for your finished product, ask your questions here.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im very intrested to see what others are using,,,

i been toasting,,,and processing my baccy by hand,

but later in the year i plan on investing in a nice shredder,,,

perhaps peoples opinions will swade my product when i get ready to buy it,

pictures, of what you use would be nice,,,

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
dwight.jpg

Attachments

• dwight.jpg
    dwight.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 150

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I seen in a mag. Scissors, that have three blades made for shreading paper. They were like 10 or 12 bucks. Now I'v got to find it to share. I think the book was called "What on earth"? I'll look into that one. Mad-

Blender86

Just ordered this one
I was going to wait til next month to get it, but I got tired of looking at jars of whole leaf that could be in my pipes, and friends' pipes as well. Seems perfect for me as I'm only doing small blending, and nothing major. I might get a more efficient one if and/or when the time comes.

Last edited:

Bex

The Tech is very good from what I have seen; especially with sharp blade and clearance adjusted properly.

I find that the position of the leaf as it goes through the roller is a bit important - I've seen the videos of people shredding 4-5 layers of leaf at a time, which I'm unable to do - but if the leaf is somewhat crinkly, then the shred is affected. I've been playing around with clearance, as well. Sadly, I've been unable to get the big wheel off its assembly - someone suggested using my small flywheel puller to do it - so this makes removing the blades a bit of a hassle. I also find that the Virginia leaf that I get gums up the blades considerably while shredding.....All in all, though, it's pretty neat doing this on a 100 year old machine....

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bex, Are you running 1 leaf at a time? Try folding 3 or 4 leaves in half and running them through as you put a little pressure on the leaves via the wooden top.. I think that's how the shredder was designed to operate. If you are getting gummed up blades, let your leaf dry out more.

wrapper

Looking forward to trying these two shredding babies in earnest. Patience is required though as the intended leaf is still growing, let alone cured, fermented and aged. Next year. Both of these little guys were found for next to no money in local junk shops.

The bigger of the two is a No.8 by Ames Plow Company, Perry's patent extended (or executed?) Feb 1864. It is very heavy, cast, with two sets of static blades.

IMG_4317.JPG

Shredder workings.jpg

I guess this was more for farm kitchen use on a fair size working property where everyone smoked....

The smaller one is London made, no idea when, with a single set of static blades. It is very much more portable, and as I found it here in SA it may have seen service on a trekker wagon or on a military campaign.

London made shredder.jpg

London shredder works.jpg

All I need is leaf...

Status
Not open for further replies.