Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Great shredder design

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
For whatever reason, the Germans seem to always have the most unique designs for tobacco shredders that I've seen anywhere.

This is very similar to what I've been trying to build for a couple of years and it's the first time I've seen this manufactured product.

Tabakschneider1.jpg

Tabakschneider3.jpg

Tabakschneider2.jpg

Tabakschneider4.jpg

I think this can be reverse engineered quite easily. If somebody wants to build them, I'll put them in the "Coming soon" products forum store.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the germans are still stuck in the industrial revolution,,,,and are doing a damn good job at it,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice design. That seems to be suitable for either a plug cutter (for pressed block) or a shredder (for loose leaf). It looks sturdy.

I think that if the countersunk screws that attach the blade to the handle were bolts with large wing nuts on the back, then it would make it easier to remove the blade frequently for sharpening. With more teeth on the cog, and additional holes for the link arm, then it could offer finer control of slice thickness.

Another design consideration might be a compound joint (like heavy duty pruners) for the arm, reducing the force required for each slice (a trade-off for greater swing motion).

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This isn't a very old machine...note the hex nuts, but the square nuts could have been replaced. The machine screws and stove bolts are all slotted, but they still are today.

The ratchet doesn't look right to me though. The way it's set up now, wouldn't it turn counter clockwise? That would work with a left handed thread screw drive, but it appears to be a right handed thread.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I think the knife would work more effectively if it were shaped like this

Tabakschneider42a.jpg

...and the wooden bed cut back to allow the blade to travel a few thousandths past the front of the bed.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the screw and cog are correct, but the link arm needs to be flipped to the other side of the cog. As shown, it would be advancing the tobacco during the downswing of the blade, then clinking over the cogs on the upswing. Flipping it to the other side would advance during the upswing.

The angled blade design, together with no bed beneath the blade, would be great for loose leaf, but would not work as well for pressed block.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I agree it is set up correctly. As the screw turns counterclockwise it would screw out. But the thread is stationary so it pushes the nut in toward the blade and the nut carries the bed/tobacco. Am I right in assuming the cutting action is a scissor action between the blade and the movable top plate/arm and not a pinch action against the bed? If that's the case then I'd think the cutting clearance adjustment might be difficult.

John

jeapadrenaline

I just pur hased the same model cutter a few month back. Posted on HTGT just look at my post "has anyone used one of these". Re erse engineering looks simple, but i am a metal fabricator. My post shows cut specs. If time permits after harvest i will atempt to build one using 12volt wiper motor. I live off grid.

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4965

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd like to see the great minds of f.t.t. come up with a design ,,,,that the normal person with some tools could build,

jeapadrenaline

I'm going to have to pick up an old reel mower and see if it can be modified to shred with any control on the size of the shred.

Wont be easy, you'll have to double or tripple the number of blades. Better find 3 or 4 identical ones, so you can scavenge the extra blades.

workhorse_01

Ok, I was talking to my wife THE COOK and she showed me her salad shooter which makes fine hair like carrots or anything. I'll be trying this before running it through my wonder jr mill burr grinder . I'm in it for snuff but i'll try cig. tobacco first for my smoking buddy's. http://www.saladshooter.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.