Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

home soil test results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I purchased a home soil test kit the other day and this is what it showed.

PH = 7.5
Nitrogen = very low
Phosphorus = medium to medium high
Potash = medium to medium high

the kit i used was made by burpee and only shows the NPK as very low, low, medium or high.

I have a co-worker that keeps chickens that has offered to supply me with some chicken poo.

Sorry if this has been covered to death, but I'm curious how much i should use. My internet search results seem to be average of 45 to 50 pounds per 100 sq. ft. Does that sound reasonable?

Aaron :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that quantity is in the ballpark. If it's for the present growing season, you may want to obtain the oldest chicken manure your friend has, say, from the bottom of the manure pile, with the hope that it has mostly composted.

Bob

EDIT: I think that Chicken (the FTT member, not the fowl) can provide experienced advice on chicken manure.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd try to avoid the fresh stuff..

if it's been rained on real good,,,, then use the dirt under the poo,,,,,, it will be just as potent as the poo itself,,,

and mix it in the hole you make per plant,,,

no need for fertilizer where your not growing anything { between rows }

if you have acsess to very little, better make what you got count,

i'd also look at people who raise horses,,,,most will be glad to let you clean out thier holding areas,,,,they get a clean pen,, you get a truckload of horse manure,,, cows, goats,,, pigs,,,e.t.c. a little questions to the right people that raise livestock, will get you a lot of poo..

just remembner the chicken-poo is the strongest you can get,,go lightlly with it,,,

the other poo,,, you could pile it on, it wont hurt, it's made entirelly of vegetable matter,,,

Rayshields

My great aunt, Lucille, one remarked at a family get together, how much humor had changed since she was young. She said humor then was really corny. I asked her to tell us an old joke. Here it is:

Three men were crossing a bridge; one was walking, one was riding a horse, and one was riding a bicycle. They met an attractive young lady and all three men spoke to her and tipped their hats, but, only one of them knew her...which one of them knew her???

Obviously, the horseman knew her.........

(THE HORSE MANURE.)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If the chicken manure is fresh I would recommend not using it this year. Get it and store it so it composts. Put it onto a tarp or concrete block so the nutrients do not leach into the soil. To raise your N this year I suggest you get some Ammonium Sulfate. From your soil test we know your N is very low. I would take a conservative guess and say you have 20 lbs/acre. You want to shoot for 80 lbs/acre. The advantage of Ammonium Sulfate is that you know the amount of N that is in it ( 22%, give or take a percent). Knowing your garden plot size (in square feet) and the fact you need to add 60#s of N, scale that down from an acre to your plot size and add the appropriate amount of Ammonium Sulfate. The other real advantage to using Ammonium Sulfate is that you have a very high PH level. Ammonium Sulfate acidifies the soil while supplying Nitrogen... a win win situation. If you have an Ag store nearby expect to pay about $15.00 for 50# bag, if not you can get it on Ebay for about $2.00/pound

Aaron

Awesome. Thank you all! I'm going to go this weekend to clean out the chicken pen. I've never seen it before so I'm not too sure yet what I'll have to work with. I think I could also find some Ammonium sulfate around here in case the manure plan doesn't work out.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If you use the manure you still need to address your high pH level. Sulfur would do a good job but the problem with using it is (a) you do not know what your current sulfur level is and (b) adding too much will act as a antimicrobial and kill the good critters that should be in your soil. Use your test kit and measure the pH of the manure.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd experiment with one plant,, in a pot,,,,

mix it the way you plan on your soil being mixed and give it a week,,,,to see if it thrives or burns,,,

you wouldnt want to throw all your cards in on one idea,,,,,,just to have your whole crop burn-up.

perhaps you can side dress your holes with the lightlly mixed manure, that way when the plants roots are big enough,, to reach the poop, the plant will be big enough to handle the dosage the poop, is going to give it,

wazzappenning

im curious where you bought that kit and for how much. i just finished paying 30 bucks for i think as basic results as yours at a testing place. (btw posting those results elsewhere as to not hijack this thread.)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i guess im old school, and not up to date on certain technoloigies,

but myself> i dont think i'd use a soil test?

i fortify my area, and have faith in what i did, i would be curious what a test would tell me,,

after ive done my redneck '' soil-building''

i only use poop, so i know it would be rich in nitrogen,,

allthough i do notice that at the ending of my growing season, my area seems like it could use a '' boost'' that it dont have,,,

i.e.,,, ive planted 3 crops of corn in one season, it seemed as with each crop the plant was starving, , im sure the first planting ate up all the nitrogen, and there was none left for the other 2 crops,

so each year i plan on starting with a freshlly pooped garden/baccy area,

redneck'in it<

Status
Not open for further replies.