Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Babington burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
. I love refrigeration work ,subcool to 13* +/- 3* and were on the money.

I'm playing with anther project that will burn used oils. It is called a Babington burner. A small amount of compressed air is required and one guy suggested using an old refrigeration compressor to supply quiet compressed air.. Does this sound practical to you? If so, where can I find out how to modify an old compressor to do the job?

Thanks,

John

workhorse_01

Re: New Whole Leaf tobacco store open.

The compressor will work fine if you dont mind a little oil in the air, you have to run a toilet paper canister on the suction side to stop moisture.

workhorse_01

Are you using the compressed air to help atomize the oil for burning ?

johnlee1933

Founding Member

The compressor will work fine if you dont mind a little oil in the air, you have to run a toilet paper canister on the suction side to stop moisture.

Don't care about oil or moisture unless it damages the compressor. I will use some kind of air filter to keep crap out of the compressor. The Babington burner blows high pressure air thru a 0.010" hole in a ball (I used an old doorknob). Oil is allowed to drip on the outside top of the ball and where the thin film flows over the air stream it is vaporized and ignited.

I assume since there is oil in the air stream I need to replenish it. It is not obvious to me where to place the filler rod/dipstick assembly.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member

If you like you can Google "Babington burner" and get all the details. Some guys use this burner to melt metal for their home foundries.

J

johnlee1933

Founding Member

John, I think this would be a better idea for what your doing(if i understand it correctly) a used recovery machine already has 1/4 " fittings, the hoses have a burst minninum of 500 psi, it's very quiet, and easy to screw a drier on to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPION-G5-T...479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4603d7fd67

Yes, it would work fine but I like to hack stuff together myself. I've got most of the tools, vacuum pump, gauges, copper tube, flaring tools, fittings and the like. It'd be kinda neat building it myself.

John

workhorse_01

Understood, Your preaching to the quior. If i can be of any help just ask I'm more than happy to. My wife says if you lived closer we'd probably blow up the world... LOL She's just nervous because I have a browns gas generator in my van,between the seats. It gets 6 mpg more with it on.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i wouldnt build that thing,, personally,,,,

i'd be a blowed up, crispy chicken<

but if you could incorporate this thing to work a FLUE CURING device, that would be cool....

but thier may be a left-over oil residue that you dont want on or in your leaves,????

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Understood, Your preaching to the quior. If i can be of any help just ask I'm more than happy to. My wife says if you lived closer we'd probably blow up the world... LOL She's just nervous because I have a browns gas generator in my van,between the seats. It gets 6 mpg more with it on.

You sound like my kind of man. Tell the wife she worries to much and to increase your life insurance with TRIPLE accident benefits. :< ))
Gas burner? Tell me more. I get 35 mph now but would like more.

Chicken, you just got no guts. No bees? No burner? Where's your sense of adventure?

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^

i got all the adventure i need with a wife and 2 teenage daughters,,,,

it's a fulltime job keeping up with these women

workhorse_01

It's stainless steel plates in pure water 1/8" apart -+-+-+-+-+-+- 12volt DC more hydrogen atoms stick to the neg. than the pos. your engine burns the hydrogen and gives off water. If you try this dont run it through the air filter ,the mass air flow sensor will adjust for the fuel and burn more gas. also this must bubble through a tank of water and breath the vapor off the top. There is no flash back device fast enough to stop it if it flashes back up the hose. remember this burns eight times faster than propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.