Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Petrified palm trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
100_1964.jpg100_1961.jpg100_1966.jpgI got some neat pics of huge chuncks of petrified palm tree I have in my yard. I haven't figured where to post yet. They were hauled out of a gully on my familys property nearby.

Edit: to add pics.

Last edited:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Re: Reported Post by SmokesAhoy

John, I got some neat pics of huge chuncks of petrified palm tree I have in my yard. I haven't figured where to post yet. They were hauled out of a gully on my familys property nearby.

Put em the "just stuff" thread.

John

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer

Yea! Yea that works for me. I'm free. Now what kind of mischief can I cause.He He

John, I got some neat pics of huge chuncks of petrified palm tree I have in my yard. I haven't figured where to post yet. They were hauled out of a gully on my familys property nearby.

Petrified palm trees huh? I have some of those in my back yard too but my dog put them there.

BarG

Founding Member

Petrified palm trees huh? I have some of those in my back yard too but my dog put them there.

Petrified trees not turds.ha ha ha
Maybe there not trees?They are very old.
Dinosaur era old....I always thought they were deposited by glaciers, maybe I was wrong.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

Maybe there not trees?They are very old.
Dinosaur era old....I always thought they were deposited by glaciers, maybe I was wrong.

If they are not in solid rock they have been moved by water action either liquid or solid (as in glacier).
Glacial drop can have bunch of interesting things in it.

Or maybe you found out where the palm tree put his mother-in-law.

John

BarG

Founding Member

If they are not in solid rock they have been moved by water action either liquid or solid (as in glacier).
Glacial drop can have bunch of interesting things in it.

Or maybe you found out where the palm tree put his mother-in-law.

John

Its all moved hundreds of miles through glacial movement. Where did I learn that It takes lime to produce petrified wood.Is that correct. I do have several hardwood pieces not near as large. The mineral s make the darker colors and streaks , if i'm not mistaken.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer

Its all moved hundreds of miles through glacial movement. Where did I learn that It takes lime to produce petrified wood.Is that correct. I do have several hardwood pieces not near as large. The mineral s make the darker colors and streaks , if i'm not mistaken.

None the less, very cool!

I don't recall if we have lots of petrified wood out here(probably not too much- we are about two steps removed from a desert climate here). On the family ranch (before the family sold it), they used to find all kinds of archeological stuff like arrowheads, stone morter and pestals, things like that. The ranch was really interesting like that. When I was a kid, I always liked going to my Grandma's house during the rainy season because the rain would wash the clay up into little balls. You could walk around and find little clay balls of all kinds of different colors. It was really neat.

Of course, being a kid, I also enjoyed all of the lizards everywhere! There are blue bellies all over the place out here (I vaguely recall seeing a horned toad one time too). Lots of Diamond back rattlesnakes as well.

Eh, now that I think of it, I vaugely recall my grandpa finding a few smaller pieces of petrified wood around. Nothing at all like the huge piece of smoky quartz he found (That thing has got to be worth a lot of money).

johnlee1933

Founding Member

Many fossils are found in limestone but it's doesn't have to be that way. Organic matter (like ferns) can be pressed by all kinds of silt. As time goes by the organic matter is replaced by dissolved minerals. Calcium carbonate (lime stone) is common but other dissolved minerals like iron and potassium salts work the same way and are responsible for the color of the fossil and solvents (amber is an example) do pretty much the same thing.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.