Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Portsmouth, U.K

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Hello everyone, been lurking around for a while reading up on growing baccy and this is my first year attempting it. Im growing Tennessee Burley, Virginia Gold, Samsun and Adonis and aim to make my own cigs. Its been fun up to now seeing the tiny seeds turn into sprouts, there at the 4 week mark and have got 2 true leaves. I'll try to add a photo later to see if you guys think im on track. Nice to meet you all and happy growing. Darren

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to the site Darren and good growing. Some years I got my first seed from the UK. The guys here pass free seed back and forth as necessary. You will find the FAQ's at the top of the page can answer lots of your questions. Beyond that feel free to ask. You'll get more help than you bargained for. Again Welcome !

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
if you got your seeds to sprout,,,,

your doing better than i did at my first attempt,,,,{ no sproutage for me, on my first try }

but these days,,,,i read, and learned and applied my knowledge,,,and now,,,

well lets just say,,,i got most of it down to a ''T''....but im still learning,,,,,

it's all a matter of paying attention, to your crop, and adjusting as needed

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thanks for the welcome guys, I think it was more luck than anything Chicken to get them to sprout. I just stuck them on the windowsill in a few plastic take-away containers and sprayed them once or twice a day with a fine mist. My room temp averages 18-19c or 65 f and had most of them sprout within the first week except the Virginia gold that took around 2 weeks, must be beginners luck. John are people willing to send to the u.k as i see most folks are from the u.s? I would be willing to pay postage costs as there seem to be a lot more variety here than i can find in the u.k. Cheers Darren

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks for the welcome guys, I think it was more luck than anything Chicken to get them to sprout. I just stuck them on the windowsill in a few plastic take-away containers and sprayed them once or twice a day with a fine mist. My room temp averages 18-19c or 65 f and had most of them sprout within the first week except the Virginia gold that took around 2 weeks, must be beginners luck. John are people willing to send to the u.k as i see most folks are from the u.s? I would be willing to pay postage costs as there seem to be a lot more variety here than i can find in the u.k. Cheers Darren

You're right there are. You seem to have a good variety chosen now. Why not go with that for this year and get a feel for what you like. I looked Portsmouth on Google earth and see what I'd call southern England. I don't know how long your growing season is or how much space you have. From my experience as a small grower, at first, less is better. As you get a feel for it more will happen naturally or you'll get lucky and find what you like first off. Are you growing for fun, cigs pipe, or cigars or what? This will tend to influence your decision. Good luck,

John

darren1979

First Time Grower
Im growing for a bit of fun this year John, if i can make any cigarettes out of my little crop then i will see this a bonus. I plan on only growing 5 plants of each variety as i started late for most u.k growers and our weather starts to turn unpredictable around september/october time, so i would need to have them harvested and cured by then plus were having our second child beginning of september so its all fun, fun, fun.

Darren

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Im growing for a bit of fun this year John, if i can make any cigarettes out of my little crop then i will see this a bonus. I plan on only growing 5 plants of each variety as i started late for most u.k growers and our weather starts to turn unpredictable around september/october time, so i would need to have them harvested and cured by then plus were having our second child beginning of september so its all fun, fun, fun.

Darren
AS long as you get it in before first frost you should be OK. My curing is slow because is it touch and go getting it in by frost time. No problem.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.