Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

chlorine in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Here, city water has chlorine (disinfectant) in it. For starting seeds, I've not worried about it, as I figure that the amount of chlorine ions absorbed by small plants would be negligible by the time the plants are full grown. Also, the tap water used for seedlings was put in a gallon jug overnight, hoping the chlorine would dissipate. and I've always made sure that none of the fertilizers used have chlorides or murates included.

The last three years I've grown tobacco, rainfall has been sufficient that watering plants was unnecessary. Well, almost - the plants were mature and topped when the droughts of late-July and August occurred. I just let them succumb to the heat and drought, and it seemed to help them ripen in good order.

But I am curious what to do if there is a early or prolonged drought. Per the city's Water Quality Report, the amount of chlorine in city water was tested at 1.4 to 2.2 ppm. It is my understanding that the chlorine source is a gas, and it will dissipate with time. Will a free gas be absorbed by the plants, or is this amount sufficient to be harmful to the tobacco?

We had about 3+ inches of rain about 3 weeks ago, but none since - storms kept missing my neighborhood. My plants went in the ground a few days after this last rainfall. With the heat and no rain, my small plants are starting to show some stress. Storms are forecast for this weekend, but if they miss me again, I may need to water.

For what it's worth, I can't have a rain barrel - forbidden by city ordinance (mosquitos).
What did you guys in Texas do last year, if the only source of moisture was chlorine-laden water?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Personally the only thing id worry about would be running up a large water bill by forgetting the hose was on overnight.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
what are these city people thinking,????? NO RAIN BARREL ALLOWED<

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
A simple carbon filter will remove a decent amount of chlorine I believe. Setting it out over night helps too.

BarG

Founding Member
Here, city water has chlorine (disinfectant) in it. For starting seeds, I've not worried about it, as I figure that the amount of chlorine ions absorbed by small plants would be negligible by the time the plants are full grown. Also, the tap water used for seedlings was put in a gallon jug overnight, hoping the chlorine would dissipate. and I've always made sure that none of the fertilizers used have chlorides or murates included.

The last three years I've grown tobacco, rainfall has been sufficient that watering plants was unnecessary. Well, almost - the plants were mature and topped when the droughts of late-July and August occurred. I just let them succumb to the heat and drought, and it seemed to help them ripen in good order.

But I am curious what to do if there is a early or prolonged drought. Per the city's Water Quality Report, the amount of chlorine in city water was tested at 1.4 to 2.2 ppm. It is my understanding that the chlorine source is a gas, and it will dissipate with time. Will a free gas be absorbed by the plants, or is this amount sufficient to be harmful to the tobacco?

We had about 3+ inches of rain about 3 weeks ago, but none since - storms kept missing my neighborhood. My plants went in the ground a few days after this last rainfall. With the heat and no rain, my small plants are starting to show some stress. Storms are forecast for this weekend, but if they miss me again, I may need to water.

For what it's worth, I can't have a rain barrel - forbidden by city ordinance (mosquitos).
What did you guys in Texas do last year, if the only source of moisture was chlorine-laden water?

I watered with well water. But I made the mistake of having fertilizer with muriate of potash. Live and learn. I paid for it with poor burning tobacco. The plants handled the heat realy well although they were probably stunted in height but very healthy for the most part . even with a soaking the water only penetrated a half inch into soil, but a lot gets absorbed by the leaves. If you got 3" of rain thats more than I had all season and a few months prior.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
back to my original question _ will chlorine in city water have an adverse effect on tobacco?
I'm not sure it desipatates fast enough in soil not to be absorbed by the plants, in some fashion.
I tried a search for data but got nowhere.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

What do they do about swimming pools? Is there enough chlorine to kill the mosquitoes? I use a mosquito "floater" to keep them out of the rain barrel. Are they allowed in your city?

John

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
back to my original question _ will chlorine in city water have an adverse effect on tobacco?
I'm not sure it desipatates fast enough in soil not to be absorbed by the plants, in some fashion.
I tried a search for data but got nowhere.

That's a tough question. I'm guessing that it will not have an adverse affect. The chlorine should dissipate rather quickly, unlike Potassium Chloride which takes months.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
LR,
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it would depend on how much water is dispensed onto the soil. In soil, the free chlorine will rapidly chlorinate the first organic molecule it comes in contact with. So rather than the chlorine evaporating away, it is actively forming chlorinated compounds within the soil. I would suspect that extensive watering throughout the season would result in elevated chlorine levels in the soil. A simple charcoal filter in-line would minimize the issue.

Bob

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Bob....that was my gut feeling also. I know that chlorine gas inhaled into the lungs will result in hydochloric acid and burned tissue. That's why a chlorine gas release is so dangerous.

If I have to water, I may not have much choice other than to use a hose and sprinkler. Squirting it into the air first may get rid of some of the gas before it hits the soil.
Don't know if I can rig up a charcoal filter to a hose - seems excessive. Will see what I can find.
Rain barrel won't work if I don't have rain.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im sure you could take, a pool filter,,, and some raw activated carbon, { they sell it in wal-mart in the fish tank section }

and with a pantyhose,,, devise you a home-made carbon filter,

cant do it < is not a option>

wazzappenning

not sure how much water you will need, but those brita filters also are activated carbon. personally i still have seedlings and use the kettle water after it has cooled.

but, if you can spare a few bucks, they do have those brita, or pure or something like that, that screw right on to your tap. you would have to jimmyrig a way to get the hose connected to it, and also to fit it to an outdoor tap.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm no chemist but I have heard the number of "active" sites in the charcoal filter is so small that chlorine removal is very limited. You might want to check this out before investing a lot in it.
As Wazz commented boiling the water is an effective chlorine remover

John

Grundle

You can also use a metabisulfite tablet. 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water will remove both chlorine and chloramine.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My impression is that some of use are talking about watering a small number of house plants, while others are discussing irrigation-scale water use.

Bob

Grundle

My impression is that some of use are talking about watering a small number of house plants, while others are discussing irrigation-scale water use.

Bob

I would concur with your impression. I don't think it is feasible to dechlorinate on an industrial irrigation scale. You should be pulling straight from the aquifer at that point (if you have one)

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I have a Brita filter, I use for drinking water and making coffee. My brother, from out of state, on well water, says he can still smell and taste chlorine in the filtered water.
I have about 170 plants - using a Brita filter would be very impractable.

wazzappenning

the only other thing i could suggest is putting a fine screen over a rain barrel so that mosquitoes cant get in or out and see if your city would approve that.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I use mosquito "floaters" in my rain barrel with great success. Just a few crumbs broken off the block kills the larvae. I only add crumbs when the barrel is newly filled.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.