Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

watering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiefarmer

What do some of you guys do as far as watering goes? Do you give your plants a small amount of water once a week or do you give them a big drink every two weeks or what? The plants I've got have been in the ground for a week now and I only watered them once (about 12 hours after I planted them.) The soil seems to have good moisture 2-3 inches down. It's 90 degrees here and has been for a few days. I know everyone says don't over water them, so I'm just curious as to what everybody else does to find the balance between too much and not enough water. Calling for rain/storms here tomorrow, so I'll at least wait and see what that does before I give them a small drink.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i like to stick my finger in the soil beside the plant,,,,

if it's moist 3 inches down,,,, i will leave them along,

but if it's dried up, i'll give them either a early morning soaking,,,or a late evening watering,

allthough i leafular fertilize them about every 3 days,,, with my sprayer,

BarG

Founding Member
i like to stick my finger in the soil beside the plant,,,,

if it's moist 3 inches down,,,, i will leave them along,

but if it's dried up, i'll give them either a early morning soaking,,,or a late evening watering,

allthough i leafular fertilize them about every 3 days,,, with my sprayer,

I see Chicken! You give little tobbaco the finger too, huh. Thats how I've been checking my soil moisture content ha ha.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I personally never water the plants, except when first setting and have a time or two during the first couple of weeks to keep them alive, they are on their own from then. Most years, the plants will be fine, only duing extended periods of drought will they suffer stunted growth, but they still smoke fine.

Daniel

Banned
I use a moisture meter. It has a scale that reads, Dry, Moist, Wet. I keep the soil between the lower and upper moist region. This removes the personal opinion factor out of deciding if soil is to wet or not. There is no time factor. tobacco is a living organism and weather is not standard. I may water once a week in the early part of the season and be watering twice a day on hot windy days. The simple answer is to water when they need it and learn when they need it. Check often, three to four times a day is not uncommon for the tobacco in my back yard. Never get your soil wet. I was reading in a growers guide that wet soil can kill tobacco roots in as little as 6 hours. Can kill an entire plant in 48 hours. Tobacco really does not like wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.