Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Over before it even started

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks guys, I can't give up on them yet...too much time invested. If nothing else, I'll turn them into a series of experiments to try figure out a way to salvage seedlings suffering from this condition.

We should be to a point now where rather than discussing the starting medium we shouldn't use, there should be a standard established by now. Same thing with fertilizer...there should be a definitive answer to "Which fertilizer should I use?" I'll be working on this solution over the next several months and hopefully have an answer. The products names will be posted and I'll try to secure wholesales pricing which will be passed on to all members.

We need to take all of the guess work out of this phase of growing.

I am having high hopes for next year to be able to have a one stop shop for the most reliable products for any of us beginners. Especially us rural folks. Your a hard workin son of a gun Don. I hope you open a distribution site for what you speak of.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll be working on this solution over the next several months and hopefully have an answer. .

I'm thinking BigBonner should be able to get a big supply that could be divvied up. I've been looking for a 20-10-20 liquid fertilizer with micronutrients that is urea free with not much luck. Here is the closest I've found.

http://www.tindaraorchids.com/fertilizer.htm

Edit: I should add, some of the natural type fertilizers will not work for a float tray system. I would not want to put liquid fish/kelp into my float tray and then have to smell the stuff for the next month or so.

workhorse_01

I'm sorry about the bad luck ,I would try to wash the roots out and pot them in worm castings mine are exploding ! If you would like some "one sucker" plants they have root balls the size of a half a 32 oz. styro cup ,and are about 8" tall,you just pm me your address and they'll be on the way!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've been looking for a 20-10-20 liquid fertilizer with micronutrients that is urea free with not much luck. Here is the closest I've found.

Edit: I should add, some of the natural type fertilizers will not work for a float tray system. I would not want to put liquid fish/kelp into my float tray and then have to smell the stuff for the next month or so.

Dude -- did you try this fertilizer and if so, how did it work?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This thread could use a bump. Can someone recommend a good water soluable fertlizer without urea? And a source for it?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was hoping for one bag from one source. Bonner sent fortified dirt for the float trays, will I even need to add fertilizer if I factor in cutting the fertilizer during hardening off? He cuts off the fertilizer and then the water prior to hardening off outside. How long will the fortified dirt hold them? What was Don using before he got the fertilizer with urea that started this thread? Where did he get it? Fertilizer, fertilizer everywhere, but none urea free.

SmokeStack

I experimented with formulating my own fertilizer last year. I studied 50 Yellow Orinoco plants; 20 were treated with the fertilizer and 20 were left alone and 10 were treated with regular MiracleGro. After a few weeks I noticed that the fertilized plants were taller and had a darker green leaf than the plants that were not treated. My results with MiracleGro were a bit sporadic, but overall were better than the control. I used a combination of urea, ammonium nitrate and ferrous sulfate and some other stuff whose names I will not disclose. My mixture can easily kill the plants though if to much of the fertilizer was added. I had 10 Italian Bright Leaf plants that died when I increased the dose very slightly. I lost interested in pursuing the fertilizer formula and I will not be using any fertilizer except for one dose of MiracleGro 3 to 4 weeks after transplanting. The chemicals I purchased where very expensive and mixing them together was too time consuming and not worth the hassle. Maybe I will reconsidered applying fertilizer after a couple of growing seasons to replenish the nutrients that have been deleted from the ground.

Is there any particular reason that you want to avoid using urea?

It works well and is cheap. You have to be careful how much to add because you can easily kill your plants. MiracleGro is the easy way to go but it is a little high in chloride.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Read the first few posts in this thread. Don lost a greenhouse full. It's like roundup to tobacco.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I used the stuff I linked to above. I use the 20-10-20 stuff for orchids. If you are using float trays I think Urea is much more damaging than "regular" soil growing. You positively need a conductivity meter to ensure you do not add too much fertilizer to your water. Urea or not, too much fertilizer and your plants will probably die. The Orchid fertilizer I used does not contain any boron so I might add a bit based on Leaverheads formula.

Orchidmanran

leverhead

Their "Grow More Urea Free 20-10-20" sounds like something to try. It doesn't list any Magnesium either, you might think about adding some Epsom salts as well as the Borax.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I used the stuff I linked to above. I use the 20-10-20 stuff for orchids. If you are using float trays I think Urea is much more damaging than "regular" soil growing. You positively need a conductivity meter to ensure you do not add too much fertilizer to your water. Urea or not, too much fertilizer and your plants will probably die. The Orchid fertilizer I used does not contain any boron so I might add a bit based on Leaverheads formula.

Orchidmanran

Thanks for the link. I just ordered some of the "Grow More Urea Free 20-10-20". The fertilizer price wasn't bad but shipping was out there. Is this considered Hazardous Material or something?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Urea is toxic to tobacco seedlings. Once the plants are established (4 weeks after setting), they become much more tolerant to urea, but I'm not sure if it is ever recommended to use urea on tobacco...even as a side dressing.

My problem last year was the urea was in the starting soil-less mix. Urea is just about the cheapest nitrogen available.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Wow! Re-reading that was almost as painful as living it...until I remembered I was a General Contractor for 30 years before I got into tobacco :)

Last edited:

darren1979

First Time Grower
Theres nothing like turning up to a job in the morning and the client saying 'me and my wife were talking last night and we have an idea' or 'weve run out of money'.

Don how many plants did you manage to save?

BarG

Founding Member
Wow! Re-reading that was almost as painful as reliving it...until I remembered I was a General Contractor for 30 years before I got into tobacco :)

Talk about painfull. I saved my 2011 first grow till yesterday, when I finally decided I needed reminding no more about chlorides and tobacco, and its in the burn pile now waiting to finally go up in smoke. I have to agree on the headaches involved with general contracting also after 30+ years of it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I hear you! Pull out a change order form and a quote when they want this wall torn out or that door moved and they think you're ripping them off! "we have a contract." Pffftttt

Status
Not open for further replies.