Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Over before it even started

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
i wrote a huge article about urea toxicity and the ****ing program timed me out.

I'm not going to write it again, but trust me on one thing...don't start your plants in anything with urea in it...

0519121049a-1.jpg
This is called "Urea Toxicity" Urea is toxic to tobacco.

0519121017b.jpg
Just about the saddest sight a serious grower can see...This is 7 weeks after transplanting.

Have you ever wanted to throw your computer out the window because it didn't save 3 hours worth of work? Imagine losing an entire year of progress because of urea.

I'm beyond words

Daniel

Banned
Don, Honestly I am speechless. Very sorry to see this. This info needs to go somewhere along with things like no chlorides on tobacco.
For others in general. Experiment on a small scale. and consider anything different an experiment. I think using a different container to start seed in cost me my entire first attempt at starting seed this year. I can't imagine loosing an entire crop of 7 week old plants because of a different brand of fertilizer or something.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Sh##, I just gave my plants there first kick up the ass with some fert yesterday and it contains Urea. It was only a very small dose label said 2 caps in 7 litre's and i done half cap in 7 litres. How does this affect the plants? And Thank god you didnt chuck the computer out the window or me for one would be non the wiser.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
To avoid this in the future, if it's going to be a lengthy post, type it first in 'Office Work' or whatever writing progam you have. Then, 'drag-left-click-to-highlight' the whole article, 'right-click' to copy. Go to the post window and 'right-click-paste' it in. Works for me everytime.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've never used urea on seedlings, but have used it on established plants. I know not to use too much as it will burn, just like fresh manure. Are you saying it's chemically toxic in some fashion to tobacco in general, like chlorine?
How about a quick summury of your attempted-post.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Don -

It's bad enough when Mother Nature dumps on us. But it hurts a lot more when we do it to ourselves.

My sympathy.

Been there, done it. Too many times. But still surviving!

Any idea of the solution concentration?

I've been feeding (starting 2-3 weeks after planting out) with a 250 - 400 ppm urea solution with acceptable results. But I stick to the water solubles for feeding up to planting out time. Mind you, I have only 150 or so plants, not a houseful.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Don
Is there any tiny plants still living ?

If so mabe we can salvage them .

I can send you smoe soil and a trick ot two to make roots grow .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The nursery where I get my starter mix from every year told me this new stuff was better than than the mix I use every year. The urea was in the new starter mix.

The good news is, Nickel (Ni) is an antidote to urea toxicity. The bad news is...have you ever tried finding nickel in trace elements at a local garden center or farm supply store?

In a desperate attempt to salvage something from all of this work, I took an old buffalo nickel, put it in a mason jar and added 1 teaspoon of muriatic acid. After 15 minutes, I put the acid in a sprayer with 1 gallon of water then soaked 3 flats with the solution.

The dose needed to reverse urea's affect on the plants is between 0.1 and 1 ppm. I have absolutely no idea how much nickel the solution has in it (if any at all).

I'm going to transplant as many as I can into the right starter mix concentrating on the plants that are the last of that variety in the seed collection. There are 8 or 10 Remedios left from the last 30 seeds I had. All of the GRIN issued Vuelta Abajo died, but I grew this 3 years ago and have seeds from that crop. Most of the others have back up seeds.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im sure you'll rebound from this,,,

ive never had any drastic problems,,, but i like to use neutral potting soil,,, no additives, THOSE I WILL ADD MYSELF<

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
All I can say is... what a pisser!
Just about all the Tobacco Ag University's warn against using Urea. In comparison studies using Urea, Nitrate Nitrogen and Ammoniacal Nitrogen the Urea always yielded poor growth . I bought some Miracle Grow type fertilizer ( Peter's I think) for my float tray this year. It had urea in it but it was the only fert I could find. Luckily I used my TDS meter and discovered that if I had used the 1 Tablespoon of Fert per gallon of water I would most likely have killed all of my seedlings. The proper amount to use according to my meter was 1/2 TEASPOON per gallon : 6 times less than the recommended dose.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

thats why i try to go organic when possible,,,,

for my seedlings i used, '' fish tank clean-out water'' i got a suction hose that gets all the poop from the bottom of the rocks,,,

''good stuff''<

BarG

Founding Member
"I'm going to transplant as many as I can into the right starter mix concentrating on the plants that are the last of that variety in the seed collection." .

Very sorry Don, Thats a serious undertaking you have there, If you weren't clear across country I'd volunteer to come over and give you a helping hand.:(

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
me myself, am getting ready to start some more seeds,,,,

gonna be doing '' golden wilt'',,,''white stock burley''

i dont have any '' virginia bright leaf'' but i'd sure like to grow some of them,,,,,perhaps next year,,,i DONT HAVE THE SEED<

jeapadrenaline

me myself, am getting ready to start some more seeds,,,,

gonna be doing '' golden wilt'',,,''white stock burley''

i dont have any '' virginia bright leaf'' but i'd sure like to grow some of them,,,,,perhaps next year,,,i DONT HAVE THE SEED<

Your private message box is full. I will have VBL for next year unless the unspoken happens before then.

And Don, sorry about your loss, i hope you will be able to salvage at least some of them. That really sucks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don,
From the pics, they look like they are still alive, though unhappy. Perhaps Larry's trade secrets might help. Your nickel is 25% nickel (by weight) and 75% copper.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
He could replant them in different soil and use terramaster to make the roots grow . I have used this in years past in outside float beds .

In the past few years with using only the green house I have had no problems with disease .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks guys, I can't give up on them yet...too much time invested. If nothing else, I'll turn them into a series of experiments to try figure out a way to salvage seedlings suffering from this condition.

We should be to a point now where rather than discussing the starting medium we shouldn't use, there should be a standard established by now. Same thing with fertilizer...there should be a definitive answer to "Which fertilizer should I use?" I'll be working on this solution over the next several months and hopefully have an answer. The products names will be posted and I'll try to secure wholesales pricing which will be passed on to all members.

We need to take all of the guess work out of this phase of growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.