Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Notes on Case vs. RH

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I just finished if futile experiment and so once again the laugh is on me. As you can see from the notes below I took some time and effort to set up an experiment that would allow me to accurately compare measured RH% and the case of my cured tobacco leaves.

Test area closed in sun porch with ceiling fan continuous.

Equipment Wet/dry bulb thermometers, matched mercury (expanded scale), C, +/- 0.25 deg. Accuracy
Kenmore humidifiers (3), extrapolated "Temp vs. RH" chart

Procedure Turn on one or more humidifiers, let run over night, wet the wet bulb wick, allow to stabilize, and read. Calculate RH.
Feel tobacco

I took a bunch of measurements and felt the tobacco. At each stage I rolled a cigar or two (whole leaf and choppings).

Here's the laugh. The "feel" of the tobacco is what finally permitted me to roll a cigar that didn't draw like a maple dowel. Just what you guys told me at the start.

For what it's worth -- Below 50% = dry and crumbly. At about 65% -- "Crinkly" and barely manageable. Between 65% and 75% still crinkly but very pliable and good rolling.
Above 75% -- Too wet to roll and still get the cigar to draw (Too tight) 80% is ideal for binder and wrapper.

Have a good chuckle. Put it on my tab.

John

leverhead

I don't think there is any such thing as a "futile experiment", some are ill advised. Two variables can generate allot of data. Maybe an important variable isn't obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.