Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

to late for transplanting in mid June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

My tractor just broke down and it will take some time for repairs.:mad: I'm stuck and I probably won't be able to transplant seedlings until the second week of June! Will it be too late in the season to plant seedlings? In general how much time is required until plants reach maturation? I am growing the following...

• BURLEY: Yellow Twist Bud, TN90, Tennessee Red Leaf
  • FLUE CURED: Yellow Orinoco, Yellow Prior, Italian Bright Leaf
  • CIGAR: Florida Sumatra, Zimmer Spanish, Connecticut Broadleaf
  • ORIENTAL: Xanthi Yaka #18A, Izmir-Ozbas
  • RUSTICA: Indian, Aztec, Isleta Pueblo

Some varieties, such as Italian Bright Leaf, require only 50 to 60 days - so I don't see any problem there. But I am not sure about the others - 90 days will take me into mid September.

BarG

Founding Member
That sounds like a good question for someone in your region Smokestack, How many plants are you planning on this year? Deluxestogie posted a link for weather and predictions, recorded records and such about a month or so ago. If I find the link I'll repost it. Also try [try farmers almanac] and in seed list thread check under observations for specifics on plant varietys.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Smoke -

You are a zone or two warmer than my location.

I plant June 5 - 15, and get reliable crops and seeds from my plants. TN90 is the latest to flower and mature, but it has mature seed pods by late Sept. I've had killing frosts between Sept 26 and Oct 10 here.

Your plants should grow faster - and bigger - than mine, so you should have at least lots of leaf, and quite possibly mature seed if you want that.

Have you considered planting a few by hand, just for insurance?

SmokeStack

Well, I have a very small portion of the land tilled so I will plant the TN90 now since that requires a longer growing season. This is the first year planting for me so I don't know what to expect. I am planting on virgin soil so it took a long time to clear the land. My tiller broke so planting by hand is not really a viable option - I plan on planting more than 400 plants - maybe this quantity was too big of an undertaking for my first year. I became worried since I invested so much time and money. Virtually every square inch of my apartment is filled with trays and cups of seedlings and growing lamps.

Jack in NB, since you live in a cooler climate and plant in early to mid June, I should be OK.

BarG, I checked the Farmers' Almanac website but I could not locate anything related to tobacco. Could you provide me with a link? I would be grateful.

-Marco

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the farmers almanac mentioned nothing about tobacco,?

well from now on thier opinion is invalid i.m.o.

jeapadrenaline

Good luck smokestack.
I too am a first timer, and am planting in virgin ground. Power transmision line, cleared 50 years ago then left alone. Had to break the sod by hand first, then use a 5hp tiller multiple times (about 8 times).
Had planned on 150-200 plants with 4 varieries ended up with 10 varieties and will have between 300-350 plants. Started planting aztec rustica today (30) and will plant 20-30 plants every day as they get ready. Last ones may not go out till after june 15 i think and we get frost again early september in bad years.

BarG

Founding Member
Farmers Almanac should not be dismissed so easily . It is based on years of accumilated info. I use it when it suits me ,Ha ha ....Do you fish or hunt or plant. Lunar cycles are relevant to these activities. Record keeping for a law of averages are also valuable. As far as tobacco then some one ought to learn em.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the almanac is good for me when it's time to cut hog's and cow's,,,,{remove thier testicles}

and fishing sometimes,,,,but when it's time to FISH ,,,aint no book gonna tell you not to go

BarG

Founding Member
the almanac is good for me when it's time to cut hog's and cow's,,,,{remove thier testicles}

and fishing sometimes,,,,but when it's time to FISH ,,,aint no book gonna tell you not to go

They won't be tellin me not to go this early A.M. I brought home 45 lbs of catfish my last trip. about 5 hrs fishing. [Farmers almanac best fishing times-lunar cycles -I like night fishing and last weekend was peek for it] I'm hoping for a few good fish this morning.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Good Luck BarG on that fishing trip, the last ones looked great! I'm with you Chicken, no book can tell you when to fish.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
BARG

im with you,,,, i like night fishing myself,

sitting on the bank of the suwannee river with a fire, and 3-5 poles out in the water,,, waiting on the elusive catfish,,

Steve2md

I am about ready to stop putting hooks on my lines...I have found that actually catching fish breaks into my beer drinking time....lol

BarG

Founding Member
I never made it last weekend indianjoe, I stayed up to late:rolleyes:. This weekend is supposed to be good though so I'm shooting for saturday eve.

Steve, just get you a cooler a barbque pit [with a 2" rib eye steak]and a little kiddie pool [with one of those zebco specials]. You'll be set. You won't have to worry about cleaning no fish that way.:D

Steve2md

Hahaha! brilliant Tim! i love those little collapsable zebco kits. I keep one in my saddle bags in case of lakes or streams and the sudden urge to stop for a bit. I mostly release what I catch though, i prefer to eat "big water" fish (ie ocean) guess I am spoiled coming from a family of Maine lobstermen and fishermen

Status
Not open for further replies.