Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

coffee, not just for me, also for tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeapadrenaline

Using used coffee grounds in your garden/compost
Had this posted at htgt, figured it be some good info for here too. As i am sure many of us are avid coffee drinkers.

Many uses and its free, except time spent to collect it.

» Throw it in your compost: Coffee grounds are 1.45% nitrogen and contain calcium and magnesium to add some trace minerals you may not get from your other organic material. Coffee grounds are a green material (I know coffee is brown, but same idea as grass clippings) so you should add with at least equal amounts of brown material (leaves) but if you are like me my browns are way to high already.
» Add it directly to your garden: I have seen some arguments that coffee grounds are acidic, but others claim it loses most (or all) of its acidity during the brewing process. Due to my natural curiosity I need to know the answer. So the answer is, it has an average pH of 6.9 so for all intents and purposes, it is neutral. Though if you are really tired and forget to brew it, it will be somewhat acidic.
» Fertilizer: Sometimes your plants need a little boost in the morning as well. Simply add a couple cups of coffee grounds to a bucket of water and let it seep for 24 hours and apply to plant in the same way you would compost tea. Using gardener terms I can’t think of any better name for this as “coffee tea” If you are busy/lazy you also can use it as a side dressing on top of your soil and let the rain seep it for you.
» Annoy your pests to stay out of your garden: It has been said that coffee grounds can deter cats from using your garden as their own personal commode. There are also reports that it can deter slugs as well. I am not sure if it is the abrasive soil effect on their sensitive underside or just the cruel reality that with their slow pace they can’t do anything with the caffeine rush they get. Coffee grounds may annoy ants to convince them to move their home elsewhere.
» Feed your worms: To worms this stuff is like ice cream, if you listen carefully you may hear them cheer your name when you add a handful to your worm bin when your greens from the kitchen may be a little lacking.

Edit: coffee is actually poisonous to slugs.
google "coffee grounds fertilizer" for more info

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think that would effect my plants SLEEP CYCLE,

jeapadrenaline

Lol @ chicken
Well i go through 2lbs of coffee in just over a week, so i certanly will make use of it, plus once i get my truck insured again, i will be picking up all the coffee grounds from the local tim hortons stores (3of them) to add to my compost pile. Time to get serious making garden soil lol.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i agree coffee grounds are good for a soil mixture,,,

but unless you have a store to hit, like you do

it would take forever for me to just fill up a gallon jug with the stuff,

jeapadrenaline

If you have a starbucks nearby (most others will be glad to do it) they actually have a program to keep coffee grounds out of the landfill and give them t customers who ask for them. That's starbucks in the US, nor sure about the reat of them. I have aproached 15 different coffee shops in the area and all except for one are gladly willing to seperate grounds from other garbage. Something to think about. Another thing is to tell them that its good for the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.