Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Diy tools and accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2md

I thought there should be a thread of peoples' home built tools and such. to start it off here is a 5 minute cigar press I made out of an old 2x4. I know it is not ideal, but here are a few reasons why I chose to build it like this.
1. Cheap....(read free) need I say more?
2. easy to do....all you need is a drill and a saw.
3. the pine allows you to use very wet tobacco without problems (ie. mold) although cedar might be better

I use this to keep my cigars even in size and tightness. I bundle my filler strips and insert them into one half of the press/mold. I estimate 3/4 full and fit the top half back on and throw on a few rubber bands. in about 5-10 minutes, the pine has sucked much of the moisture from the tobacco, while letting the filler swell to the size of the mold. i then remove my filler (which now stays pretty much in its shape) and wrap with my binder. Back into the mold for 5 minutes or so to ensure smoothness and it's ready for a tissue thin wrapper. I know I can do it all without the mold, and probably faster too, but I like playing with wood and gadgets so I thought I'd give it a shot.

To make it, i chose the drill size I wanted (5/8") zipped a hole through the 2x4 chunk, cut the wood in half along the drill hole, sanded the troughs and....done! took 5 min to make and i kinda like the consistency I get using it. maybe some day I'll buy a real mold with multiple cavities, but for now, this was free and my ex is getting all of my cash flow, so.....

Please post your creations here! don't forget pictures! my next project is a guillotine cigar cutter that looks like a French guillotine and operates like one too. why you may ask? Why not I say! build on brothers!IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0060.jpg IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0058.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
To make it, i chose the drill size I wanted (5/8") zipped a hole through the 2x4 chunk, cut the wood in half along the drill hole, sanded the troughs and....done! took 5 min to make and i kinda like the consistency I get using it. maybe some day I'll buy a real mold with multiple cavities, but for now, this was free and my ex is getting all of my cash flow, so.....

Please post your creations here! don't forget pictures! my next project is a guillotine cigar cutter that looks like a French guillotine and operates like one too. why you may ask? Why not I say! build on brothers!View attachment 801 View attachment 803 View attachment 804 View attachment 805

Steve, I like your choice of pine. Here's an extension of your idea if you have access to a band saw. Use a 6" or 7" inch piece of 2 X 6. Thru drill as many holes as the 6" dimension will comfortably fit say 4 5/8th holes in a line. Band saw the piece along the grain to yield a configuration similar to what you have but with four parallel holes. Sand smooth. Join the blocks at one edge with leftover hinges so it swings open. On the other edge fasten a 50 cent hasp to hold it closed. Two or three of these animals and your factory is set. You can be drying some while bunching, binding or wrapping others. I don't use my mold much any more but like this idea enough to give it a try. (I'll have to put a new blade in my bandsaw.) {By the way I built the bandsaw from a kit 30 years ago and it performs like a trooper. It needs a sharp blade for rips.}
IMG_1501 - Copy.JPG

Along the same line I made my own chevetta and rolling aid.
IMG_1499 - Copy.JPG

The chevetta is 1/16th cold rolled steel scrap from a friends welding shop. It is the first model and is 4 3/4" long X 2 3/4 wide. This is not right for me. It does not make a long enough cut and is so narrow my finger tips get beyond the cutting edge. The new one will be 6 1/2" X 3 3/4" and I think will solve both problems. The curvature seems OK and I'll repeat that. I plan to line the back edge with a bit of plastic or rubber tubing to make it easier to pick up and use.

The rolling aid is a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and a bit or shelf lining material. It feels like rubber but may be plastic (Cheap from Home Depot.) It helps me get smooth straight lines in my rolls.

Steve -- FYI -- Connecticut just legalized purchase, possession and growing of Mary J for those with the proper prescription and permits. I EXPECT NEXT THEY WILL TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT.

John

You might rip the piece first and then clamp the halves to drill the holes. This would give you round mold cavities.

J

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like CT. is the place to be<<<

the molds look good,... ive thought about making something like that, when i was experimenting with making cigars,,,

but i dont really smoke cigars,,,

Steve2md

when i was experimenting with making cigars,,,

but i dont really smoke cigars,,,

ANNNND whose fault is that chicken?? lol. I love it! Keep 'em coming folks! Great saw by the way John! oh, and btw, the mj has to be decriminalized across the board before they can tax it on its own, otherwise, they can only charge sales tax.

Daniel

Banned
You could add some dowel pins at the corners as alignment pins as well. glue them into one side of the mold and have holes in the second half that are just a bit large for a slip fit. It does go to show that a cigar mold does not have to be high tech and require a lot of expensive equipment to make.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats a nice band saw John, I like the deep throat, they make carbide tooth bandsaw blades now that resaw through 6" oak like butter. The larger diameter wheel the better cause my 14" band saw radius is a little tight for them but I usualy get them rewelded for free when sent back to supplier. Also the bi-metal blades will outlast the carbon blades 10-1 for twice the price.

Steve2md

It really doesn't take much. I know there are "equipment snobs" out there, just like any hobby, but for pete's sake, if you can roll the damn things by hand, there can't be a wrong way to build a mould (except maybe outta lead, that's probably not a good idea) hell, you could make them rectangular or triangle, or even somewhat flat, and i am pretty sure it still all boils down to personal preference..

Come on folks, I wanna see some more of y'alls gadgets and doohickeys! love the band saw, I need a nice chaveta like John's, chicken's half greenhouse looks to be perfect redneck ingenuity. post em!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thats a nice band saw John, I like the deep throat, they make carbide tooth bandsaw blades now that resaw through 6" oak like butter. The larger diameter wheel the better cause my 14" band saw radius is a little tight for them but I usualy get them rewelded for free when sent back to supplier. Also the bi-metal blades will outlast the carbon blades 10-1 for twice the price.

My kit came with 18" wheels. Where do you buy your carbide tipped blades?

Steve -- I'm not real happy with the chevetta I made and I just picked stock to make another. We're supposed to have rain tomorrow. I may shape the new one. If so I'll post pics and tell you why the changes.

John

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Along the same line I made my own chevetta and rolling aid.
View attachment 807

The chevetta is 1/16th cold rolled steel scrap from a friends welding shop. It is the first model and is 4 3/4" long X 2 3/4 wide. This is not right for me. It does not make a long enough cut and is so narrow my finger tips get beyond the cutting edge. The new one will be 6 1/2" X 3 3/4" and I think will solve both problems. The curvature seems OK and I'll repeat that. I plan to line the back edge with a bit of plastic or rubber tubing to make it easier to pick up and use.

Very cool!!

Steve -- FYI -- Connecticut just legalized purchase, possession and growing of Mary J for those with the proper prescription and permits. I EXPECT NEXT THEY WILL TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT.

So now we are going to see pictures of your baccy garden and you wacky baccy garden?

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
It really doesn't take much. I know there are "equipment snobs" out there, just like any hobby, but for pete's sake, if you can roll the damn things by hand, there can't be a wrong way to build a mould (except maybe outta lead, that's probably not a good idea) hell, you could make them rectangular or triangle, or even somewhat flat, and i am pretty sure it still all boils down to personal preference..

Come on folks, I wanna see some more of y'alls gadgets and doohickeys! love the band saw, I need a nice chaveta like John's, chicken's half greenhouse looks to be perfect redneck ingenuity. post em!

I cheated, here's my Chaveta, real top of the line (stock photo of the one I bought), works great!! Dealer told me it was imported from Cuba during the cuban revolution, I have my doubts but you never know:

pizzaslice.jpg

Brown Thumb

Someone say Wackey Tabbci. Brings a SMILE to my face , 30 YRS ago.

BarG

Founding Member
My kit came with 18" wheels. Where do you buy your carbide tipped blades?

Steve -- I'm not real happy with the chevetta I made and I just picked stock to make another. We're supposed to have rain tomorrow. I may shape the new one. If so I'll post pics and tell you why the changes.

John

John, this where I buy all my bandsaw parts and blades.

Iturra Design
904-642-2802
E-Mail; Kalll@comcast .net

There in Jacksonville Fl. and will send a catalog on request. They are heavy into bandaws and have excellent service.

Try cutting a length of wood with rounded outer edges and a bandsaw thick slot for a handle on the back of your chaveta, It looks like good steel that will hold an edge.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Chevetta's.JPGI have almost finished my new chevetta pictured above. The piece of Tygon tubing I'm trying for backing is just taped in place for now. So far I like the feel and it cuts well. Time will tell if this is the final design. The wider blade does keep my finger tips out of trouble but the wider width keeps my and and wrist higher. I may trim it down 1/2" to reduce the lift but that is just fussy fine tuning.

John

BarG

Founding Member
You must have long fingers John, when I'm handnailing and setting a nail I always say hit the nail not the finger nail. Both those pieces look like they would wok great. Especialy homeade, makes more fun to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.