Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
World No Tobacco Day is apparently the day on which non-users of tobacco fervently wish that users of tobacco would not use tobacco. I contemplated this peculiar day over my large cup of morning Costa Rica coffee and my freshly rolled breakfast cigar.

I realized that part of the deeper meaning of the day is that at some time later today, I will completely run out of my BigBonner Burley. Hmm. Instead, I decided that the true meaning of World No Tobacco Day for me is that I should set aside this day to photograph something other than my tobacco.

Garden20120531_196_garlicHanging_300.jpg
Garden20120531_198_IncheliumRed_300.jpg

My tobacco curing shed. My garlic crop yielded about 80 heads of garlic, in two varieties. [If you buy a nice head of garlic in early November, then separate and plant each of the cloves, allowing them to grow weed-free through the winter, you end up with one head for each clove, come June.]

Garden20120531_199_GardenPeas_300.jpg

My garden peas have come out earlier this year than my snow peas. When they are babies, you can shell a few raw into a lettuce salad. Baby snow peas can be added pod and all to a salad raw.

Garden20120531_207_BumbleBeeBeans_300.jpg

These heirloom Bumble Bee beans produce a large, fat shell bean, which I will dry for use next winter.

Garden20120531_201_Spinach_300.jpg
Garden20120531_202_EarlyGirlGreen_300.jpg

The spinach mostly goes raw into salad (in small amounts). While I await the sluggish growth of my heirloom yellow and pink tomatoes, these purchased Early Girl tomatoes, which I've potted and nurtured since March, will give me some early garden tomatoes.

Garden20120531_208_BushPickle_300.jpg

I don't buy cucumbers. I only eat them in season, and only from my garden. Rather than grow bland slicing cukes, all of mine are bush pickle varieties this year. They make fine pickles, in addition to being a decent salad cuke.

Garden20120531_204_BuffaloGrape_300.jpg

This spring, I planted a Buffalo Grape vine (purple) and an Ontario Grape vine (white). Only the Buffalo, shown here, has bothered to put out any greenery yet.

Garden20120531_203_HeritageRaspberry_300.jpg

These are Heritage red raspberries. I also have beds of Fall Gold yellow raspberries (which don't grow particularly well, despite having a wonderful flavor) and Prime Jim Blackberries. I noticed last year that the birds watch the berries carefully, waiting for them to almost ripen. So I didn't get too many ripe blackberries. Unfortunately for the birds, neither of the raspberry varieties darken upon ripening, so the birds' loss was my gain. It's hard to beat a small dish of vanilla ice cream topped with a half-dozen freshly chilled raspberries.

Garden20120531_209_BloodyButcherCorn_300.jpg

This small patch of corn (5' x 12') looks like any old corn. But it's heirloom Bloody Butcher corn. The kernels mature to a blood red color.

So, there you have it. My World No Tobacco Day photos.

Bob

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Beautiful crops Bob! I did not even know that No Tobacco Day even existed. I am going to have to googlesearch that later, I am curious to know who was behind that one... Must be another holiday invented by Hallmark! I better send a card!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Bob, That is one beautiful garden and article. Said another way, you have way too much time on your hands. :<))

CoralReefs, NO NO NO ! Send a gift of a pound of FM's tobacco ! ;< ()

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There are actually a few benefits to growing your own food, instead of paying for a health club membership.

In digging garlic yesterday, I carelessly nicked three of the heads with my stainless steel, super deluxe digging tool. Alas, I had to consume those last night. Have you ever eaten garden-fresh garlic, before the head dries out? It's a different vegetable--slightly spicy, very mild and intensely aromatic. So I made a main course of babaganoush. Actually, Bobbyganoush, since it's my own recipe.

• Three heads of garden-fresh garlic, finely diced
  • 1/3 large eggplant, peeled and finely diced
  • 1/4 lb. ground meat (lamb would be ideal, but I settled for hamburger)
  • 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
  • salt, pepper, oregano, dill weed to taste

heat the above in a large sauce pan, until the eggplant is soft (~15 min)
    then add

• 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice

cook until free liquid is reduced (~10 min)
    finally add

• 1/3 cup long grain white rice (dry)
  • 1/3 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 cup water

Bring to boil, cover, lower heat and simmer exactly 16 minutes.
    Without lifting the lid, turn off heat, and allow to absorb moisture for 16 more minutes
    Stir and serve. Two reasonable size servings. I ate it all.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Roma bean pickings before the storm hit this morning, This is 10 of 40 lbs picked in the last week or so, out of 2 65' rows, unfortunate for myback but great for my pantry, these plants are still loaded with 2 more rows coming in behind them. I'm looking at maybe 600-800 ears yellow white ambrosia corn at least and a possible couple hundred lbs potatoes. Out of 50 tomatoe plants we shoot for maybe 40 quarts a year and all the fresh hot sauce and tomatoes we can handle along with frsh peppers squash and cucumbers. My broccli is questionable as I haven't seen a single head yet but my black diamonds are as big as softballs. As I write this I smoke my Bonner burley cigar cause I still have 2 lbs left.;)
100_2036.jpg

workhorse_01

Well , just so i can keep up with the joneses ,My corn shot up and i'm pickin green beans and okra every four days.I'm 6' tall.green beans.jpgcorn.jpg

indianjoe

Founding Member
John,
I only grow red pontiac potatoes. I plant on Feb 13th or as close as possible to that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.