Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leverhead's T Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

This is my first time growing anything I would talk about openly. Too much rain early and almost none lately, drip lines will have to do.

T Patch 060112.JPG

This is from this morning. In the foreground is 7 rows of Southern Beauty, 1/2 row of Virginia Bright Leaf, 1 1/2 rows of mixed Marylands and finally the Turkish section. The Turks have been in 2 weeks, most of the Viginias have been in 8 days, the rest and the Marylands since Monday.

The Turkish section.
Turk 060112.JPG

leverhead

They're ok, they're not real consistent (hose to hose) even at 50/60 psi. Harbor Freight had them on sale about a month ago. I've got a 1200 gal tank I'd like to use but it would have to be gravity fed with only 4' max head, so maybe some different holes. They're vinyl tube inside of a braid, I'm thinking thinking of something like a very small half round wood chisel to get into the braid and make a "C" shaped cut in the tube that would leak at a lower pressure. 'Till then I'm still on the well.

leverhead

On another note, I think I've spent too much time doting over my sprouts. Does anybody know of a shelter for the leftovers? they're going to be harder to put down than a pet.

workhorse_01

It looks very good ! are the leftovers turkish ? would you be interested in a dozen one suckers? maybe a swap or if not you can have.

leverhead

Nope, no Turk. I ended up short on those anyway. I've still got seed, but I think the time for that has passed. I was really only joshin', I haven't taken very good care of my leftovers, but it does make me kind of sad to see them in such tough shape. I'm glad I had some though. Does anybody know a tobacco friendly way of killing Crawfish?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your plot looks good,,,,

as for the leftovers,,, put them against the woodline,,, or the treeline, or the fenceline,,,

somewhere out of the way,, they will grow, just not be tended to like your garden area is,

leverhead

Workhorse, thank you for the offer! All the space I had prepared is full. The patch in the pictures is behind a friend's house where the soil is pretty good. At my house too close to Houston, the soil is terrible. When it's wet you'll sink to your knees and when it's dry you can't drive a stake into it. About a month ago I got a hole dug 6'X10'x1' deep, mixed in 300 lbs of blasting sand, 100 lbs of Gypsum and a bunch of peat. All for 15 Yellow Twist Bud. My real focus this year is to grow, cure and finish a passable flue cured. In a few months we should all know if that's a pipe dream. This is my first year growing Tobacco, so far so good and digging in the dirt has been almost fun. If all goes well, next year I want to get them in the ground as soon as it's dry enough.

Steve2md

harbor has a little wood carving kit for around $5 that has a gouge that is exactly what you described. I would send you mine ( i never use it) but it is buried in the wasteland of my garage and I am in the middle of moving....

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Workhorse, thank you for the offer! All the space I had prepared is full. The patch in the pictures is behind a friend's house where the soil is pretty good. At my house too close to Houston, the soil is terrible. When it's wet you'll sink to your knees and when it's dry you can't drive a stake into it. About a month ago I got a hole dug 6'X10'x1' deep, mixed in 300 lbs of blasting sand, 100 lbs of Gypsum and a bunch of peat. All for 15 Yellow Twist Bud. My real focus this year is to grow, cure and finish a passable flue cured. In a few months we should all know if that's a pipe dream. This is my first year growing Tobacco, so far so good and digging in the dirt has been almost fun. If all goes well, next year I want to get them in the ground as soon as it's dry enough.

im sure the first year will go good for you,,,,yes you may make some mistakes as we all did, on our first year,

but you'll learn from the mistakes and kick it in the a#$ next year,and have a awesome crop,

and with my help and others on here, we will send you some of our seeds, and your variety, to plant will be limitless,

leverhead

Thanks Chicken! According to GRIN, Southern Beauty (FC) is supposed to be a good producer. I got them from New Hope Seeds, I'll bag a few of them and if it's any good, there'll be plenty of seed to go around (I think).

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
oh, if you bag them, thier will be thousands,

but if your only growing one straIN, and no chance of cross pollination, then you could go without bagging them

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'd bag anyway. You never know who has a plant or two within half a mile. Besides the purists wouldn't touch the seed if it wasn't bagged.

John

leverhead

Here's a question for the pro's. I've got some Virginia's (Southern Beauty) that have been in the ground since 05/25/12, they're growing well and they're not a foot tall yet. Some of them, maybe 5%, are putting out suckers. Should I be looking for problems or should I not be concerned and just pick'm off?

T Patch 060612.JPG

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Here's a question for the pro's. I've got some Virginia's (Southern Beauty) that have been in the ground since 05/25/12, they're growing well and they're not a foot tall yet. Some of them, maybe 5%, are putting out suckers. Should I be looking for problems or should I not be concerned and just pick'm off?

View attachment 887

i'd just pick the suckers off,,,, once the root's get established them plants are going to take-off,,

theyve only been in the ground 2 weeks,,,

just a little -longer,

BarG

Founding Member
Leverhead, How big were those plants at transplant? They look real good. If you had some thick stalks at transplant I've noticed a few plants will put out suckers[ the plants I got from Bonner some had 10" woody roots, and had been tended real well. I think Imhp they put out shoots out of shock or something, but what do I know:cool:. For your size baccy plot it won't be any problem at all. I check my best and most plants for my size plot regularly, cause I like being out there.

edit; the suckers or shoots i'm refering to have all started at ground level and not on upper levels of plant at leaf and stalk. A havana plant that had every leaf cut off by a cutworm is coming back from such a shoot.

Tim

Last edited:

leverhead

They weren't very big, I wanted to get them out of the trays, the trays were only 1 1/2" deep. Some Venison came through early and sampled a couple of Turks, ripped one out of the ground and took the bud off another, but they're both coming back. I've been fighting the dry though, so maybe it's shock. The suckers are coming at the leaf and stalk. Are you getting any of this rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.