Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I see French fries and skins with cheese, bacon and sour cream.:D

Cigar

"I see French fries and skins with cheese, bacon and sour cream.:D" Brown Thumb. I second that menu!

Cigar

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I go to Canada this time of year I'm used to seeing piles of potatoes in peoples driveways, but that's a nice haul anyway.

As to okra, I love it every way but only grew it once. Favorite way to have it is in seafood gumbo, as Bob might say, very slimy:)

I have the best luck with vining plants, kabocha is my new favorite both young and ripe. Young and diced, sauteed up has the same texture and flavor of avocado, it's total magic.

Cigar

Thats funny SmokesAhoy..you have best luck things that "crawl" I have best luck with thinks that grow up!! haha

Cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Strelok, your avatar image shows a beautiful, expansive agricultural area. Curious about the location of Volzhsk, I went to GoogleEarth.

Volzhsk.jpg

I see that you are several hundred miles east of Moscow. Do you live in town, or on a farm?

Bob

Strelok

Background on an avatar, a field sown winter rye. I live out of town. My place of residence has a beautiful location near the forest and lake. Yes, all this splendor is not far from Moscow.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Background on an avatar, a field sown winter rye. I live out of town. My place of residence has a beautiful location near the forest and lake. Yes, all this splendor is not far from Moscow.

That is some very nice looking tobacco in your photo album. Good job!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20161029_2345_okraSeedPod_600.jpg

This is the first time I've let some okra go to seed. I may have enough time before first freeze for these seeds to mature. Any special trick to harvesting okra seed?

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Here's a photo of okra pods ready to harvest for seed. I'm sure you already found similar images on web, this may be a reference for future growers here. When is your first frost, I guess it's around the corner.

tumblr_lrxx6gLLW91qfg3oj.jpg

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Garden20161029_2345_okraSeedPod_600.jpg

This is the first time I've let some okra go to seed. I may have enough time before first freeze for these seeds to mature. Any special trick to harvesting okra seed?

Bob
You can cut of the stem and allow the scabbard to dry much like you are doing with your tobacco seed pods if you want.
-They will crack by themselves (like some primitive tobacco's or N.Rustica), but if you want so you can cut the capsules (let the knife follow the capsule natural folds).
I hope I can get time to fix my dotters' laptop tomorrow afternoon/night.. If so I think I have some pictures I can put up on this (even if I don't think it's necessary).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When is your first frost, I guess it's around the corner.
Good to hear from you. My first frost date is two weeks ago (15 October). But not this year. It's looking like mid-November might bring a frost. That's a great photo.

You can cut of the stem and allow the scabbard to dry much like you are doing with your tobacco seed pods if you want.
-They will crack by themselves (like some primitive tobacco's or N.Rustica), but if you want so you can cut the capsules (let the knife follow the capsule natural folds).
I hope I can get time to fix my dotters' laptop tomorrow afternoon/night.. If so I think I have some pictures I can put up on this (even if I don't think it's necessary).
It sounds as though I should cut the pods before they freeze, then hang them indoors inside an Agribon bag, just as I do with tobacco pods.

I appreciate the advice.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Good to hear from you. My first frost date is two weeks ago (15 October). But not this year. It's looking like mid-November might bring a frost. That's a great photo.

It sounds as though I should cut the pods before they freeze, then hang them indoors inside an Agribon bag, just as I do with tobacco pods.

I appreciate the advice.

Bob
You can without being ashamed let it stay out side, but it is also possible to cut the stem in a for you right length and then let it dry inside.
-I have never put the bag on from the beginning but put bag on after a while.
In order to avoid getting the seeds on the floor, table and other things (I don't like to clean that much).
It will not explode like seed pods of some tobacco (do not contain so many seeds) but it may be wise to know that they can be opened and emptied when you think you shall have some seed pod's to take care of..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Garden is In

This is the time of year that I plant garlic. I'm spacing it about 6" apart. The first image (Anka garlic) is an entire half-bed (~4'x5') of 30 cloves.

Garden20161031_2349_garlicAnka_closeup_400.jpg

I'm going to try my hand at winter growing of sweet onions. This particular variety is an "intermediate-day" onion. I really don't know if it will do well here. I'm also not sure it will survive the winter. I'll find out.

Garden20161031_2351_onionsGarlic_bed_400.jpg

My Czech Broadleaf garlic went into the upper part of the bed, above the onions.

Garden20161031_2352_onionSweetCandy_closeup_400.jpg

For both the garlic and the onions, I'm planting them not as deep as I have in the past. Again, I'm not sure what the results will be.

Garden20161031_2353_garlicCzechBrdlf_bed_300.jpg

For both of these beds, I will rake the plentiful pine needles that drop in the autumn from my large white pine, then pile the needles over the onions and garlic for the winter.

Garden20161031_2350_pineNeedleFall_400.jpg

Bob

squeezyjohn

It's that time of year ... I put my garlic in a few days ago along with some overwintering broad beans (fava beans?) ... for the main part we're in to harvesting winter crops like brussels sprouts, tree kale (collards?) and chinese cabbage now though ... and putting the plots to rest for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.