Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Hey, thanks Bob. I'll add that string down the middle. It sounds like a good idea then to grow the beans separately in their own box. Cool.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Last Asparagus for the Season

Garden20170519_2646_asparagus_500.jpg

Asparagus is such a wonderful investment of gardening effort. You dig a bed, plant the root crowns, watch them grow for a couple of years, then begin to harvest asparagus in the third season. After that, it just keeps on producing a spring-time bounty for about 20 years. After about mid-May, I stop harvesting the shoots, and allow them to go to seed for the rest of the summer. The extent of that summer growth will determine how abundant the spring harvest will be the following year.

I get a fistful of tender asparagus (harvested mere minutes prior to cooking) weekly for about a month and a half, depending on the weather.

While I do add fertilizer each year, I've become lazy about weeding the bed (10 crowns) for the past few years. Well-established asparagus roots don't seem to care. The just push right up through the weeds. I'll probably give it a good cleaning at least once this summer.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Mystery of the Pea Predator Solved

For over two months, I've been trying to get my sugar pod peas to grow. They keep getting mowed to stubs. Occasionally they would reach about 8" tall, then be mowed again the next morning. I've used slug bait, and sprayed with permethrin. The peas are surrounded by a cage made from sturdy box fence (to keep the deer out), and the bottom 15" of the fence is further blocked with bird netting (to keep the rabbits out). The pea predation continued.

My neighbor has a La Mancha goat. She has no horns, tiny ears, a long neck and long muzzle. The other day, I was watching as she got down on her front knees, stuck her head through the box fencing of her grassy pen, and grazed on taller grass (It wasn't greener!) that was nearly 18" beyond the fence.

That evening, as I sat on my porch, a deer appeared just beyond the trees at the property fence. She was apparently confident that I could not see her. There she stood, about 40 feet from the porch. I studied her long, slender neck, antler-free head, and impressively long muzzle.

My slow brain finally made the connection. My box fence cage around the peas doesn't quite reach the full circumference of the pea bed. So I had tied the top together, forming a slightly conical cage. Between the narrower top and the wider bottom of the cone, there is an open trapezoid. The bottom of the trapezoid is blocked by the bird netting. But between the netting and the top of the 4' cone, there was an opening.

Garden20170529_2675_peaFence_deerFriendly_300.jpg

Being ever safety conscious, I had bent the cut ends of fencing, so as not to accidentally snag my flesh. The result was an unintentional deer feeder. A deer could just stand facing the trapezoidal opening, and extend its slender head and neck through my convenient, trapezoidal opening to graze freely on the peas. But it could not leave any telltale deer prints in the soft dirt of the bed.

After slapping my head several times, I un-bent the cut ends of the horizontal wires.

Garden20170529_2676_peaFence_deerproof_300.jpg

Garden20170529_2677_peaFence_deerproof2_500.jpg

We'll see what happens with the peas. It may be too late for peas, with the summer heat about to set in. I have had some success planting peas in mid May (rather than March), so maybe I'll get something for all the effort this year.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The perfect food. Caribou potatoes planted 3 weeks ago it's loving the weather. it was hilled a little after this picture. I thought 5 pounds would fill this bed but looks like next time will be 10 pounds and an inch or so closer spacing

IMG_20170529_052702.jpg

Peas are growing ok, tomatoes still too small to bother with pics, 20 pastes and a yellow cherry. Corn is almost ready for the first roundup if the birds don't eat it all first.

ChinaVoodoo

I agree with Smokes once again. Potatoes are perfect.
I have two kinds. German Butterball, replanted with leftovers from last year's crop, and Norland.
IMG_20170529_175258279_HDR~2.jpg

There are 14 tomatoes. Italian Heirloom, Russian Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Early Girl.
IMG_20170529_174637137_HDR~2.jpg

Three plants that are either pumpkini (fingers crossed), or merely zucchini.
IMG_20170529_174742125_HDR~2.jpg

Two kinds of peas. Sugar Snap, and Sugar Girl.
IMG_20170529_174843720_HDR~2.jpg

Bush long English cucumbers, and vine picking cucumbers. And there's peanuts hidden behind the cucumbers.
IMG_20170529_175139537_HDR~2.jpg

Two kinds of onion. About 140 of them. Zoey, and Ailsa Craig.
IMG_20170529_175331519_HDR~2.jpg

And other stuff. Lettuce, carrots, eggplant, peppers, celery, basil, dill, cilantro, beets, sui choi, kale, cabbage, and beans.
IMG_20170529_175149584_HDR~2.jpg

greenmonster714

These last three posts are pretty awesome. You all have some big time in these veggies. So, I thought I'd throw in a few of my early stuff. Not pretty but at least they are growing better than my damn tomatoes..lol.

Yellow Squash, Stubby Cucumbers for small pickles, Cayenne Pepper, and Hot Banana Pepper. They have all started produce already. Got enough cayenne peppers to make a nice large jar of hot pepper sauce. Just a few more cucumbers and we should have enough to make some hot banana pepper pickles. Tomatoes..damnit. Had to start over with them. The jury is still out on what happened to them but I suspect residual herbicide I sprayed last year. Oh well, plenty of summer to go.

IMG_20170528_185719338_HDR.jpgIMG_20170528_185731780_HDR.jpgIMG_20170528_185740827_HDR.jpgIMG_20170528_185833403.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The veggies look nice, GM714, but will they be nice to your insides? Hot banana; cayenne. I love the taste, but can't eat them any more. Wish I could.

Bob

greenmonster714

We like spicy food. We do not like screaming hot stuff like Carolia Reeper peppers. Mild to medium heat is good. Eating hot coals is just plain stupid to me.

DIY Pete

We like spicy food. We do not like screaming hot stuff like Carolia Reeper peppers. Mild to medium heat is good. Eating hot coals is just plain stupid to me.

I agree. A good pepper sauce adds flavor as well as heat. I never understood the hottest pepper craze.

Pete

Leftynick

Awww man. I just started my carolina reaper seed yesterday. I am curious by the hottest pepper in the world look or taste like. Chance are I am not going to cook them. Maybe I can sell them dried online, as many seems to be looking for them in my country. I also am thinking on starting some Trinidad scorpion seed that I bought last year to plant, but get sidetracked by tobacco planting.

Leftynick

P_20170604_111359.jpg
P_20170604_111409.jpg

My container garden. After I started growing tobacco in the garden, I have a lot of leftover container. So I started to grow vegetable on these. Most of these vegetable would be uncontrollable when grown in the garden. They will keep growing all year round and eventually will take up so much space. Some of these vegetable are considered invasive in USA (for example my water spinach plant)

The smaller pot I have water spinach growing in them. It is much easier to control them because they would have limited everything, water, nutrient and growing space.

Bigger container are planted with ginger, galangal, turmeric and star gooseberry (Sauropus androgynus).

I also have lemon, screwpine and cashew tree growing in container.

P_20170604_111644.jpg
I started cassava plant on my former tobacco bed. I am preparing some compost to replenish this plot for next year and hopefully the cassava tuber can break down the clay soil in the area to make it easier for me to fill this bed with compost.

BarG

Founding Member
The Mystery of the Pea Predator Solved

For over two months, I've been trying to get my sugar pod peas to grow. They keep getting mowed to stubs. Occasionally they would reach about 8" tall, then be mowed again the next morning. I've used slug bait, and sprayed with permethrin. The peas are surrounded by a cage made from sturdy box fence (to keep the deer out), and the bottom 15" of the fence is further blocked with bird netting (to keep the rabbits out). The pea predation continued.

My neighbor has a La Mancha goat. She has no horns, tiny ears, a long neck and long muzzle. The other day, I was watching as she got down on her front knees, stuck her head through the box fencing of her grassy pen, and grazed on taller grass (It wasn't greener!) that was nearly 18" beyond the fence.

That evening, as I sat on my porch, a deer appeared just beyond the trees at the property fence. She was apparently confident that I could not see her. There she stood, about 40 feet from the porch. I studied her long, slender neck, antler-free head, and impressively long muzzle.

My slow brain finally made the connection. My box fence cage around the peas doesn't quite reach the full circumference of the pea bed. So I had tied the top together, forming a slightly conical cage. Between the narrower top and the wider bottom of the cone, there is an open trapezoid. The bottom of the trapezoid is blocked by the bird netting. But between the netting and the top of the 4' cone, there was an opening.

Garden20170529_2675_peaFence_deerFriendly_300.jpg

Being ever safety conscious, I had bent the cut ends of fencing, so as not to accidentally snag my flesh. The result was an unintentional deer feeder. A deer could just stand facing the trapezoidal opening, and extend its slender head and neck through my convenient, trapezoidal opening to graze freely on the peas. But it could not leave any telltale deer prints in the soft dirt of the bed.

After slapping my head several times, I un-bent the cut ends of the horizontal wires.

Garden20170529_2676_peaFence_deerproof_300.jpg

Garden20170529_2677_peaFence_deerproof2_500.jpg

We'll see what happens with the peas. It may be too late for peas, with the summer heat about to set in. I have had some success planting peas in mid May (rather than March), so maybe I'll get something for all the effort this year.

Bob
Heh heh , I bought 50 lbs of cowpeas and soy beans to plant in my back land not to mention chickory and turnips, the deer still cleaned out out my purplehull peas and roma beans in my front garden. the deer are killing the deer fields also except the chicory and turnips. they are addicted to pea plants.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's been about 10 days since I corrected my fence error on the peas. Not a single nibble has occurred on any of the pea plants. So, it was definitely that sneaky doe, sticking her long neck into my pea fencing.

Now I'm beginning to worry about my unfenced corncob bed.

Bob

Brown Thumb

It's rabbits, they drive my wife nuts , in her string bean plants.

Brown Thumb

Can't forget the turkeys,
the farmer next 4000 acres over planted corn the other day and the turkeys were following him on the corn planter.

BarG

Founding Member
Can't forget the turkeys,
the farmer next 4000 acres over planted corn the other day and the turkeys were following him on the corn planter.
the only wild turkey I ever killed was tough as shoe leather.
usually i can do good with wild chicken.Thats what I tell my my wife our meals are.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20170611_2705_cornfieldBean_vine_600.jpg

This bean isn't messing around. It's been climbing about 6" per day.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange said:
Genuine Cornfield Pole Snap Bean:
(Scotia, Striped Creaseback) 83 days. [Possibly of pre-Columbian origin, one of the oldest beans cultivated by the Iroquois who used it as a corn soup bean and bread bean. In the Cayuga Iroquois dialect its name means ‘wampum bean.’] Shade tolerant, an old favorite for growing with corn. Straight 5-7 in. pods, gray-brown seeds with brown mottles and stripes. Best harvested before seeds fill the pods. Use for snap or green shell. Produces very well during high heat.

http://www.southernexposure.com/genuine-cornfield-pole-snap-bean-28-g-p-261.html

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.