Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayshields

I planted about 1700 plants and have about 1400 in there now. I will give a lot of them away...but depending on how big they get, I may sell some at the farmer's market nearby. If you want to grow big onions, research Dixondale Farms website. They are in Texas...they raise millions of plants. It takes lots of nitrogen and lots of water to grow really big ones.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive tried twice, and have had no luck at growing onions,

DELUXESTOGIE.......yes put up more pickling recipes, ive never made pickles, but this year with my cuke plants, im gonna give it a shot,, baby fingers,,,dill,,sliced,,,whole huge,,,and all of it, im gonna do some pickle-pickling,

ive got about 50+ mason jars, and plan on filling them, some of them are 1 gallon sized, for the big-dills,

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks for that site Ray. The only way I ever get onions like that is to plant in november. Once in a while I can get a decent spring planted crop.

Rayshields

BarG,
The Texas 1015 sweet onion gets its name from the planting date in Texas...October 15.

The Dixondale method of planting and fertilizing will get you big onions.

BarG

Founding Member
Ray, I checked their site and a they have a great how to page for planting and fertilizing,harvesting and drying. I Never knew what 1015 stood for, but I always plant yellow, white and red onions and I can grow a years worth if set out in fall and end up with 3" bulbs consistantly. I learned some useful info on drying to help avoid rot for longterm storage.

workhorse_01

No, It's organic kamut wheat. Double click the first pic and look how pretty the wheat head is.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
One of my favorite pickle recipes is from the "Egg Lady" who lived up the road from me 40+ years ago. She gave it to my father and someone in the family makes them every year.

You can multiply this recipe to make a 35 gallon trash can full if you want (use a liner approved for food)

In a clean quart jar (doesn't have to be sterile) ((wide mouth is best)) add

3 whole cloves garlic...paper and all
1 tablespoon kosher or pickling salt
1 stalk of dill (include the head if the seeds aren't ripe. If the dill is old and woody, strip the leaves off the main stalk first)
1 tablespoon McCormick's pickling spices. I've tried a bunch of different brands and trust me, McCormick's is the best.
1 -3 dried chilly peppers (if you like a little zip) The pickling spice has a little crushed red pepper in it, but it's not noticeable.

Stuff as many pickling cukes as you can into the jar. Add water to within 1/4" of the top. Wipe the brim clean and put the lid on the jar. Shake the jar until the salt is dissolved. Loosen the lid to allow the gases to escape. Put the jar somewhere out of direct sunlight and where it will stay between 70° and 80°. The pickles will ferment and after about 2 weeks, they're ready to eat.

The bad part about this recipe is you have to refrigerate the jars after fermentation or they will go bad. If you're lucky enough to have a jar left over for Christmas dinner, you're very disciplined, but I wouldn't keep them much longer than that. If they get slimy, throw them away.

The brine will get cloudy and get some milky white colored stuff at the bottom of the jar, so don't let that scare you.

Some people add grape leaves, horse radish, banana peppers, green tomatoes (yum) to the same recipe. I've used this same recipe for making corned beef and it works great, but I used curing salt instead (with salt peter).

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got a good bit of cukes planted this year also,

this year i strunbg them up, to get them off the ground, it makes '' finding'' the cukes a lot easier,

this years garden

>castor bean 2 009.jpgcastor bean 2 010.jpg

ashaggyone

someone has to have a wife who makes killer dill beans....living in the desert here, they are a treat I get about once every ten years, soooo.....I'll be happy to pay hefty sums, (or possibly barter) for a few jars, just sayin

My wife married me for my cookin. If by dill beans you mean pickled beans i put up a few pints for me and my son each year. I haven't found anyone else who likes picked veg as much as the two of us. Spicy is my brine tho, be warned.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Wow very nice, really looking good Chicken
it is looking nice,, i agree,

im starting more corn, to go with what i got,

any bare spot, you see, in the '' garden square'' is gonna have corn,

im gonna freeze me some corn!!!!!!!!!

the '' back spot'' you see got half the rows planted today with bacca'r.

BarG

Founding Member
I found that when I have a dozen rows of corn layed flat in the mud after a storm just let em stand back up by themselves. It may take a dcouple days.:cool:

AmaxB

it is looking nice,, i agree,

im starting more corn, to go with what i got,

any bare spot, you see, in the '' garden square'' is gonna have corn,

im gonna freeze me some corn!!!!!!!!!

the '' back spot'' you see got half the rows planted today with bacca'r.

Two of my LOVES > Sweet Corn and Tobacco > Now that is a good blend :D

Status
Not open for further replies.