Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here we are. It's 10 September. Today, one of my Ping Tung Chinese eggplants actually blossomed. It's the first one. !0 September. It's the only one that is likely to blossom. Altogether, I started around a dozen of these plants this year. There are presently 4 other Ping Tung plants, though they appear to be barren.

Garden20200910_5410_eggplantPingtungBlossom_362.jpg

If you squint with a hopeful attitude, you can find the blossom in the lower right. I've got a few weeks of growing left, so I will get to enjoy one eggplant stir-fry.

Bob

plantdude

Here we are. It's 10 September. Today, one of my Ping Tung Chinese eggplants actually blossomed. It's the first one. !0 September. It's the only one that is likely to blossom. Altogether, I started around a dozen of these plants this year. There are presently 4 other Ping Tung plants, though they appear to be barren.

Garden20200910_5410_eggplantPingtungBlossom_362.jpg

If you squint with a hopeful attitude, you can find the blossom in the lower right. I've got a few weeks of growing left, so I will get to enjoy one eggplant stir-fry.

Bob
I have 4 eggplants and only one of them is finally starting to grow much. I think getting any fruit is out.
Weird year. The cicadas were about a month late and my magnolia tree has started budding and flowering profusely. That usually only happens in early spring. Makes me wonder what is in store for this winter.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, the National Weather Service is predicting La Niña for the winter of 2020-2021. (Probabilities in the range of 75%) The graphic below shows its typical impact on winter weather for the North America.

LaNina_Winter_MAP.gif

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In strolling through my yard, I wandered past my veggie grave yard. There, to my surprise, I discovered a few more Roma beans.

Garden20200924_5440_lastOfTheBeans_600.jpg

I've diced them up, and tossed them into some water to fully cook. Then I'll add them to my leftover black beenie-weenie for dinner. Beans is beans.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20201121_5554_garlicBed_porchCorner_600.jpg

This is the little bed at the corner of my front porch. In 2020 it failed at peas, eggplant, tomato and tobacco. Of course, most of my garden performed poorly during the odd weather of the 2020 season. Today, I hauled away the anti-rabbit, anti-groundhog fencing that surrounded it, cleaned up the patch, added 10-10-10, tilled it, and planted my garlic for 2021. It fit only one head (8 cloves) of Slovenian Anka garlic--a hard-neck variety (thanks again to @rainmax), and a bit less than one head (10 cloves) of Czech Broadleaf garlic--a soft-neck variety. Over the past 8 years, I have slowly reduced my garlic planting, as my use of whole garlic has diminished. I grew weary of braiding decorative garlic bunches to give away to friends for use as edible kitchen décor.

So there it is. I'll have to make do with only 18 heads of garlic next year (really a mere 14 heads, after setting aside two of the largest heads of each variety, for planting).

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Deluxe Stogie:

Your comment re: the odd weather in 2020 is very interesting. I'm 3,000 miles away and our weather has been odd also. My tobacco crop was fair to poor this year, and took forever to take off and grow. I will get between 2/3rds and 3/4 of my normal crop, and only because we had a warm September and a late killing frost (Oct. 21).

My female Honey Locust tree produced no pods (A diecious species), a rare and unusual event. The neighbor across the street had no walnuts on two English walnut trees (A monoecious species). The female Ginkgo tree up the street produced no seed (A diecious species). The Black Walnut down the street produced very few nuts (A monoecious species). A great year if you don't like cleaning up after messy trees. My Honey locust usually puts out 500 to 1,000 pounds of annoying pods every year.

It was a great year for our local farmers however. Field peas, winter wheat, and spring wheat, were at or near record yields. Barley yields were 2 to 2 1/2 times normal!

All in all a very odd year indeed.

Also, I got three tomatoes off of my one tomato bush after the deer worked the bush over.

Hopefully next year will be better.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. No apples or pears here. No black walnuts. Weak asparagus crop. Few blackberries. Horrid squash (summer and winter). Green beans and cukes were happy.

Bob

I think some of the problem was blossom kill from a very late freeze, as well as pollinator insects affected.

OldDinosaurWesH

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't recollect any late freeze. The pollinator situation is more likely in my locality. The male Honey locust tree usually buzzes like crazy in May, You can normally hear the activity from thousands of bees from the ground. I don't recollect any noise at all this year.

Asparagus doesn't like cool weather at all.

I also recall the apple tree near my workplace also had no fruit this year.

I'm thinking pollinators were the problem.

Indeed a very odd year in all manner of respects.

Wes H.

Better luck next year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just purchased some more seed today:

VeggieSeeds_Johnnys20201205.JPG

Bob

Johnny’s Seeds! I really like the stirrup hoe I got there. I can’t remember if I got the 5” or 7” but it is fast and easier on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.