Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

All three are different branches of the curcurbitacea family. The gourd family. There are four main branches, the Gourds, the Pumpkins/Squashes, the Cucumbers, and the Watermelon/Cantaloupes. All are distinguished by vines, and large fleshy seed pods. Trying to make crosses across the branches of the family tree are difficult and seldom produce anything, especially a viable offspring.

Wes H.

Zucchini, a summer squash, are C. pepo. "Pumpkins", an unfortunately imprecise term for a bunch of different winter squash, can be from one of several species (C. pepo, C. moschata, C maxima.) A quick sample of pumpkin species is on the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange site: http://www.southernexposure.com/vege...ns-c-3_46.html

None of that matters, unless you want to cross them. So, when a 1200 pound pumpkin says, "Don't cross me!", you'd better listen.

Most pepo don't know it, but CattyPan O' Lantern and most Jack 0' Lantern pumpkins are the same species: C. pepo.

Bob

Yes, the pumpkins that you actually eat are different than the type that you carve. I've never been interested enough to look into their respective heritage to see if they were actually different species. All I know for sure is that inter-specific hybridization is an iffy and mostly fruitless proposition. Pun intended. Part of the definition of species is the ability to reproduce itself.

I noticed in the places selling Jack-O-Lanterns this year that someone had crossed a gourd with a pumpkin producing a warty and funny looking fruit that resembled a pumpkin. I was wondering if these were the mules of the pumpkin world. An interesting looking fruit, but is it truly a new species?

Wes H.

P.S. I also have been told that the giant pumpkins are edible, but not fit to eat. Apparently by breeding strictly for size, they have bred all the desirability as a food stuff out of this particular line. Human hubris knows no bounds.
    Last edited by OldDinosaurWesH; 11-17-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Add a Post Script

My gourd... i like only this...

1 members have Nominated this post.

Gavroche,
    With a drill and a very sharp jewler's saw, you could turn that into a Calabash O' Lantern. [Pipe may not function afterwards!]

Bob

Well, pretty sure Bob is right. I got seed from the initial cross, and one of the three F1s so far. There's a possibility that particular one might have received pollen from my neighbors squashes which aren't C.pepo. Or, even though they're the same species, they might be very distantly related. Or that plant had an unusual maturity schedule and would have seeded if the summer was longer.

Edit: oh, and there's nothing wrong with eating jackolanterns
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    ...there's nothing wrong with eating jackolanterns
    I've made pumpkin pies from Jack O' Lantern type pumpkins. Very tasty. The difference is that the flesh is very stringy. It has to be either blenderized to a fine puree, or pressed through a sieve that will remove the strings. So, the difference may be better stated in terms of the labor required to utilize the "non-pie" pumpkins. I used them for pies, just to see what I would end up with. I'll never go that route again, until the apocalypse.

Bob

Sounds like a lot of work to me. There is a regional pie company that distributes fresh pies in our area that makes a pretty decent pumpkin pie that retails (on sale) for $4.99. Hard to beat that.

Happy Turkey day for all!

Wes H.

I have always chosen seed for taste rather than size. They're still pepo though. I don't know if growing those would be equivalent to mass produced big hollow jack o'lanterns.

We have a few way of using it. For pies, I cut it in half, and put a half cut side down in a roasting pan with an inch of water. It sort of suctions to the bottom of the roaster. Then my wife roasts it and scoops the meat out with an ice cream scoop, into a colander, drains, then squeezes.

I cube it and pressure can it for later use. It'll store indefinitely. Just a little draining and squeezing, and it's ready for pies.

Or I peel it, then shred it with a processor. Salt, squeeze. Mix with anything from replacing fat in sausage to mixing in meatloaf to make it juicy to making lasagne more nutritious.

All this juice that gets squeezed becomes a part of a soup stock or moisture for a stir fry or something. or the whole thing ends up as soup.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091