Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778

1 members have Nominated this post.

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Ripening Home Grown Pears

Pears must be harvested before they are ripe. (When simply lifting the pear to a horizontal position causes it to break free from the branch, it is ready to harvest.)

Store-bought pears have been chilled down to 30ºF for several days (for Bartlett types). This chilling allows them to then ripen perfectly at room temperature in about 5 to 7 days. So, if you pick your own pears at the perfect time, you will need to chill them in the fridge for a few days (colder the better). Then they are ready to ripen in a paper bag on the counter for a week or so.

Test the pear for ripeness by pressing at the point where the stem meets the fruit. "When the flesh beneath your thumb yields evenly to gentle pressure, it is time to eat your pear. If you have to push more than slightly, it is not ready yet."

Eating a perfectly ripened pear is a juicy, messy activity. Pears are not supposed to be crisp.

Bob

I can't top the deliciousness of a perfectly ripe pear, but my pole beans are pretty.

beanses.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Ripening Home Grown Pears

Pears must be harvested before they are ripe. (When simply lifting the pear to a horizontal position causes it to break free from the branch, it is ready to harvest.)

Store-bought pears have been chilled down to 30ºF for several days (for Bartlett types). This chilling allows them to then ripen perfectly at room temperature in about 5 to 7 days. So, if you pick your own pears at the perfect time, you will need to chill them in the fridge for a few days (colder the better). Then they are ready to ripen in a paper bag on the counter for a week or so.

Test the pear for ripeness by pressing at the point where the stem meets the fruit. "When the flesh beneath your thumb yields evenly to gentle pressure, it is time to eat your pear. If you have to push more than slightly, it is not ready yet."

Eating a perfectly ripened pear is a juicy, messy activity. Pears are not supposed to be crisp.

Bob
    I really didn't understand pears before reading your post Bob. Always so blah and tough. Thanks.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778