Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Many of the "labor saving" devices in the kitchen, with the exception of a toaster, squander all the saved labor on clean-up. Unless I happen to be setting up a production line for feeding a crowd of people (never happens), I find simple, manual tools to be usually faster overall. The cabinets beneath my kitchen counter are crowded with silly appliances (mostly received as gifts over the decades) that I never use. My electric kitchen range will do the Macarena and sing opera, but I just use two, occasionally three burners.

Bob

My personal favorite is called a "Foley Fork" a simple hand tool with angled tines. It's is great for beating eggs, mixing stuff, you name it. Mine are 50 plus years old, and you can't buy them any more. Easy cleanup. One bowl, one tool and done! My food processor has several parts to take apart plus several rubber gaskets to clean. A real pain. It puts out a full horsepower, and it will turn rocks into dust! (As if I needed rock dust.) In all fairness to the machine, my food processor was purchased for commercial use. I just don't need it for that any more. So it mostly gathers dust. I do like my power mixer. An essential tool for making bread. And there is only the bowl and the mixer blade to clean afterward. For small jobs like muffins, I stick with my Foley Fork and a stainless bowl. And to make for less cleaning, I use paper liners in the muffin tin. (A trick my late mother taught me. She didn't like a bunch of cleaning either.)

Life's busy enough, who needs all that extra work!

Wes H.

Wes... you talking about one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FOLE...-/282649415656

The Foley fork is like beating an egg with two forks at the same time. Too bad that one on Ebay has a split handle.

Bob

Here's a new one for about $8: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BU7UBG...BU7UBG5186645/

I can think of dozens of uses. Thank you, OldDino.

Bob

Oops! That one seems to fall apart, according to multiple reviews. Never mind.

The vintage one on E-Bay looks a lot like my older one with its wooden handle. Probably of a similar vintage (1940's maybe). I also have a "newer" Foley Fork with a plastic handle. (1960's?) The new one on amazon, at least based on the photo I saw, doesn't have the pitched / angled tines. I have one like that too. It's called a granny fork and will work, but not as well as a Foley Fork. The pitched / angled tines are really good for creaming butter or shortening into the sugar and flour for making cookies. Unless you are left-handed. The pitch is definitely for a right handed person.

I guess I'd better get my camera out. I didn't know you folks were so passionate about cooking.

Wes H.

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384