Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697

1 members have Nominated this post.

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    ...kabocha squash...I honestly think I could build a gateway type trellis and have it arch over the sidewalk.
    CAUTION: Hard Hat Required

Well after all my work I provided for my table , but I didn't get to share. My corn crop got planted to late. I know I need at least 35 bags of creamed corn and I got 36. I am happy for me , was still able to share a few dozen prime ears .Its amazing how much people can appreciate that. Now it is on to makin bacon with my thawed pork belly.
    BarG

Carpenter required heh heh Good ones are hard to come by these days.
    BarG

Easiest Crop There Is

I just separate the cloves, stick them in the ground in early November, and dig them up in early to mid June. Garlic is a good pairing with couch potato.

For several years now, I've grown two garlic varieties. My softneck variety is Czech Broadleaf. The hardneck is Slovenian Anka.

If I forget to dig softneck garlic, it will remind me in plenty of time by simply falling over. That's what kicked me into gear today. Yesterday evening, I noticed that half the garlic was recumbent. The other half, the hardneck garlic, instead produces a curly scape out the top. If not cut off (and either discarded, or cooked and eaten as a vegetable), the scapes will produce a fur-ball allium flower at the expense of the garlic head.

Today, I dug the Czech garlic, and cut the scapes off of the Slovenian garlic. I'll dig the latter in another week or two.

Curiously, Slovenians count more consistently than Czechs. A head of Anka garlic always has 8 cloves. So when I plant the cloves of 2 heads, I get 16 new garlics. By contrast, a head of Czech Broadleaf garlic has a variable number of cloves. My 2 heads of Czech yielded 25 cloves.

I'll tie bundles of today's garlic, and hang it to dry in the shed. Once dry, I will braid it. Hardneck garlic, of course, doesn't braid very gracefully.

Bob

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697