Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

I need to learn more about growing asparagus and garlic, 2 of my favorites. What kind of location do you choose and when to plant?
    BarG

For asparagus ... the more work you put in the more you get out of it ... it's a long term perennial crop. Buy the best quality crowns you can lay your hands on ... I prefer 2 year old crowns. Create a bed for them and make sure to dig every single perennial weed root out because once it's planted you can't dig that area again. Load it up with manure and make sure it has enough drainage ... if your soil is heavy add loads of sand too and hill the bed up above the surrounding area, make sure you can access every part of the bed without standing on it to harvest. Dig large holes for the crowns 2ft apart at the centre, then make a little conical hill in the centre of the holes and plant the crown on top of those hills with the roots trailing down in to the hole and cover. In the first year or two - don't harvest anything, just let them turn in to ferns ... after that the crops should keep coming for up to 20 years. All you have to do is weed the bed, stop harvesting 2 months after you get the first spear of the year, let the ferns grow until they die back, cut the ferns down in winter and cover the bed with a layer of manure or compost to feed. In all but the worst of droughts it should cope with getting it's own water from underground, but if you water well during the season - it will give you more and fatter spears.

Garlic is the easiest thing in the world. Push cloves about 2" down in to the ground in November/December spaced about 10" apart ... they'll start coming up in January once they've rooted. Keep weeded (it's easier to hoe if you plant them in a neat grid). Maybe add a little feed of something nitrogen heavy in the spring to help them grow. They'll be ready to harvest in July (hardneck varieties will throw a curved flower stalk called a scape which it's best if you cut off so you get bigger bulbs ... they can be eaten and are delicious stir-fried) ... hardnecks are ready about 2 weeks after the scapes have come. If you have particularly tough winters - it's possible to plant in early spring too, but the garlic needs a spell of cold weather to trigger it splitting in to cloves ... sometimes spring sown garlic produces huge mono-cloves which are harder to cook with - but just as tasty.

My garlic did not survive the winter. I'm guessing raised beds don't offer the same protection and stability as flat ground would. If I was to have mulched, I would have needed to have munched the entire bed, even around the perimeter. Oh well. More room for other stuff!
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

I often apply 8 to 12 inches of pine needle mulch. It survives winter temps of -5° F. Raised beds present a problem similar to a perennial potted plant.

Bob

About 100 years ago there was an asparagus farm on the prairie where I live. It has grown wild around here ever since. We used to go out and pick buckets of the stuff when I was a kid. There isn't as much around now as there was back then, but it's still easy to find. Personally, I hate it. Nasty bitter stuff. lol But my wife and sister love it so I still pick some for them.
    Q. Why did the Libertarian cross the road? A. It's none of your damn business.

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495