Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Quote Originally Posted by 4wdboss View Post
    If that is what 500K acres is, thats how many farmable acres are in this area. Look up Imperial Valley.
    I have 1 acre with my house and shop on it. My family had about 300 acres back in the day, folks retired and sold it.
    I work for the Imperial Irrigation District, water side, I have access to those acres and the crops on them.
    We measure farmland in sections. A section is a square mile, which is 640ac. You know the term "back 40"? Well that's the quarter of a quarter section. The one out back.

Oh. I see. I think. So could you just plant, say, 10 acre of whatever you want?
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    We measure farmland in sections. A section is a square mile, which is 640ac. You know the term "back 40"? Well that's the quarter of a quarter section. The one out back.Oh. I see. I think. So could you just plant, say, 10 acre of whatever you want?
    When I say I have access to the 500K acres, I mean, I know most of the farmers, and they let us get what we want. Some take boxes of produce, I only take what we use in a couple days, sometimes I get a box or two to give to friends that come down from the city.If you owned that 10 acres, or leased it you could, you couldn't just do it anywhere you want.Some fields will plant "mix vegetables", basically 5 acres cabbage, 12 acres Iceberg lettuce, 15 acres romaine, etc, the most common field is 70 acres, and 140 acres. We identify them by the Canal name, and Delivery number, Ex; Ash 48, or Plum 7, etc.The organic growers mostly plant small blocks of "mix vegetables". Non organic, will plant a 70, or 140, (what ever the acres of the field is) of lettuce, broccoli, carrots, alfalfa, wheat, what ever they want to grow.Grimmway, the largest carrot grower here, will plant roughly 12,000 acres of carrots each year, all around the Valley. Where ever they can get the ground.We have the water, Farming is the largest industry here, basically we grow the winter vegetables for the nation. California is allocated 3.9 million acre feet of water from the Colorado River annually. Of that 3.9 MAF, we get 3.1 MAF, we use about 2.8MAF, and the remainder is set for transfer to Metropolitan Water District, etc, through the Quantification Settlement Agreement (QSA), the largest farm to city water transfer in US history. Because, you know, the city slickers food grows at Ralphs of Safeway.

What's the easiest way to deal with blossom end rot on tomatoes? I've got dolomitic lime.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

This is up there in the strangeness scale. Slugs really dig white vinyl fencing apparently.
    IMG_20170906_073110306_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20170906_073102208_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20170906_072646675_HDR~2.jpg

That's really wild. But...what's on the other side of that fence?

Bob

There's slugs on both sides of the fence. One side is a narrow strip of weeds and the back alley. The other is tobacco, and apricot trees. Ohhhh, the mulch around my apricot trees? Maybe they live in that.

I was thinking I could use some sort of dye on it and I could sell the pattern of slug trails left over as "art".

Groundhogs show better manners than rabbits.

When a rabbit decides to eat some of my growing vegetables--green beans or tomatoes as examples, it takes one or two bites out of every veggie within reach. Wascally wabbits! [Sorry. For members who may be unfamiliar with this expression, these are the words of Elmer Fudd, who was the harassed farmer portrayed with a speech impediment in Bugs Bunny cartoons (back when that was acceptable humor). He means, "rascally rabbit."]

I currently have a groundhog living beneath my curing shed and back porch. [Every now and then it blunders into my presence, while I'm smoking a cigar on the front porch.] This properly raised groundhog seems to adore nicely ripened pears. During the wee hours of the night, it examines the selection available in the bushel basket, carefully removes a single pear, then politely eats it nearby. Some mornings, I discover a cleanly munched pear core on the porch. Apparently last night, my groundhog found the first pear to be over-ripe, and had a hankering for a second pear. But its eyes were bigger than its stomach. No pear remaining within the bushel basket has ever been even lightly bitten.

Bob

That's pretty cool. I got a real close-up of them acting like nobody was around, one time through the glass of a bus stop shelter. They could be the most cute rodent.

Are rodent traps legal in your state? In most cases they are not allowed here. Just curious.

Wes H.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    What's the easiest way to deal with blossom end rot on tomatoes? I've got dolomitic lime.
    Calcium Nitrate. It should be watered in at about blossom time but it also works well as a foliar spray with the fruit already set.

Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast