Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4282909192

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Great tip. Thanks for posting.

What kind of peas do you grow Bob?

Wes H.

I started peas early for the first time last year and it was well worth it.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

I love me some fresh peas.
    tobacco, roll with it...

Iam growing peas this year. Most likely a dwarf type. Since peas are such a early crop, Iam hoping to get peas harvested and corn planted and fall harvested in the same raised bed.

Dan

I've grown snow peas, sugarpod peas and ordinary garden peas. Some years I grow a mix. Some years, the local store puts out surplus bags of seed peas at the end of the summer, and that's what I grow.

Seed peas, stored in a cool, dry place, will give good germination for at least 5 years.

Bob

Snow peas are pretty tasty & sugarpod peas, harvested when the peas are fairly immature, make a good addition to stir fry in a wok. Of course I used to be able to get all the sweet peas I wanted straight off the Viner. We used to harvest about 20,000 acres of them every year. Pea canning / freezing used to be a major industry around here. Those days are long gone. People don't buy canned or frozen peas like they used to (except me).

Wes H.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDinosaurWesH View Post
    People don't buy canned or frozen...
    Here's a wild collection of charts and graphs on that subject: https://www.pbhfoundation.org/pdfs/a...Bookmarked.pdf

I didn't read a word of the text, but the graphic data is fascinating. It absolutely proves that somebody collected a lot of data.

Bob

Bob:

I gave it a quick look through. Not too much in there about peas themselves. But it did show a continuous decline in canned / frozen vegetables. Which is not totally unexpected given the ever increasing availability of fresh vegetables in the marketplace. We live in a fast paced world where transportation is less and less of and impediment. Who needs a slow boat when you have fleets of 747's waiting to haul your fresh products to markets all over the globe.

If you can get fresh roses from Kenya in two days, why not asparagus from Peru? Think how cheap and abundant tobacco would be if there weren't all the governmental interference out there? (Read taxes.)

Thanks for the info.

Wes H.

Vegetable Seed Starts

Big Beef Tomato (F1) [AS, F2, L, N, TMV, V]
    For unexplained reasons, when I start pepper, eggplant and okra seed indoors, my rate of successful transplants is low. When I start tomatoes indoors, the plants always seem runted when it's time to transplant. So, for the most part, I purchase pepper, eggplant and tomato starts locally (usually pot-luck varieties).

Every year, my tomatoes endure one blight or another. I'm certain that some of these maladies come with the starter plants from the commercial nursery. Regardless of who is to blame, I tend to get a short season of nice tomatoes. This year, I've decided to try a tomato variety that is resistant to more diseases than any other tomato that I've identified: high resistance to alternaria stem canker, fusarium wilt races 1, 2, gray leaf spot, nematodes, tobacco mosaic virus, and verticillium wilt. That's a lot. But, alas, there are about two dozen reasonably common tomato diseases.

Today, I started 8 Big Beef tomatoes from seed that I purchased during 2017. I started one 4-cell tray, with 2 seeds for each cell. If they do anything, then I'll separate them and transplant them to 3-1/2" pots--bigger if I need to. I want some big, beefy transplants from these. They have 3 to 4 months to show me they care.

Sweet Candy Onion [https://store.underwoodgardens.com/S...uctinfo/V1511/ ]
    In the late fall of 2016, I planted a half-bed of Sweet Candy Onion, a day-neutral onion, carefully following the instructions from Underwood Gardens (aka Terroir Seeds), and mulched the sets with dry pine needles nearly a foot deep. By springtime, only two of those expensive onions could be located. I don't know if critters ate them, or they just gave up the ghost, and rotted. The two survivors bolted as soon as warm weather began. I allowed them to make seed, and saved it. I decided to try them from seed this year.

Today I started 16 Sweet Candy Onion seeds. Since all onions are biennials, these can not bolt and go to seed this year. The number of onion seeds I started was determined by the size of the container I was willing to dedicate to this once-failed endeavor.

The remainder of my veggie garden will have to come from the corner market, as transplants, or will be directly seeded, if winter ever ends. The rest of the space on my wire shelves in the back porch will go to tobacco.

Bob

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4282909192