Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

There are so many variables.

Bob

Speaking of varying growing conditions, this reminds me of a tobacco related story.

From the time that the British colonials started growing tobacco, approximately 1620, 'till George Washington's time ca. 1780, American tobacco went from the finest in the world to basically unmarketable. Tobacco had always been the big cash crop that the southern planters relied upon to remain profitable. George Washington was said to have bemoaned the fact that they couldn't grow tobacco at Mt. Vernon, because they couldn't produce the quality of leaf that the international market demanded. At the time of his death in 1799, Washington had the largest single whiskey distilling operation in the newly founded United States. They couldn't compete in the international tobacco market, so they were trying to make a buck some other way.

Why then, would American tobacco go from first to last in that time frame?

The answer is globalism. Sound familiar? In the 150 or so years between the time that the colonials started growing tobacco and George Washington's time, tobacco had spread all over the world. Other locations were able to breed and produce their own lines of tobacco that were either superior or cheaper than the American product. Thereby pushing the Americans out of the global market.

A little slice of history.

Wes H.

Perhaps this subject can be continued in a more appropriate thread. I would simply point out that American Colonial international tobacco trade abruptly collapsed during the years of the American Revolution, due to all American exports being subject to military blockade, and tobacco export was unable to regain that lost market after the war. It was not a quality or productivity issue.

Bob

I suppose I should pick the cabbage.
    IMG_20171101_192454489~2.jpg
    Kinda pointless though. No heads, hardly. Tons of leaf. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    No heads, hardly. Tons of leaf.
    Too much nitrogen?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Too much nitrogen?

Bob
    I'll have to get a soil test. Makes sense, though.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

This oddly shaped pumpkini was the only one that particular plant produced. Opened it up yesterday. It didn't have any seeds.
    IMG_20171115_092017413~2.jpg

F1 ?

1 members have Nominated this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    F1 ?
    I'm not certain how the nomenclature for hybrids works. This is the fruit of a plant grown from seed which came from the initial hybrid. The hybrid had a zucchini mother and pumpkin father. I got seed from an oval one on a different plant. I still need to open one from the third plant which has elliptical fruit.

2 members have Nominated this post.

So, it's really looking like an interspecies hybrid--a mule pumpkini.

Genetics Mini-Lesson
    If I call myself P1 ("parental"), then my children are F1 ("filial"), and my grandchildren are F2 (but only if "self-fertilized"--ick!). They are just ordinary F1 and F2 generations (in reference to me).

If my wife were Asian (same species, different variety), then the kids and grandkids would be F1 hybrids and F2 hybrids. And as we all know, the seed of F1 hybrids may not be true to type. My F2 generation might look Caucasian, Asian or somewhere in between.

When you succeed in an interspecies hybrid, there is always a high likelihood of sterility.

Bob

Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast