Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 63 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    I think i crossed zucchini and pumpkin. I used a cotton swab to take pollen from a pumpkin male flower, and spread it on a female zucchini flower. I didn't bag it or label it - it was more on a whim than a serious attempt. Anyways, none of the zucchini look different so i assumed it didn't work. I cut open a zucchini today. I shredded it and squeezed out the juice. It smells exactly like pumpkin. And look at how orange it is.
    Attachment 19345
    I think it worked. Or have i never aged a zucchini for a month before eating it?
    How did it taste?
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Super Moderator

Zucchini is a pepo and most varieties marketed as pumpkins are pepos too so they will readily cross. Likely whatever cross you made will be delicious in the zucchini (immature) stage and have a number of unpalatable traits in the mature state such as excess moisture, strings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    How did it taste?
    It tasted like mild pumpkin. I'm going to grow it this year. As Bob explained before, if it indeed is a cross, the plants grown from seed will be different from the fruit I got via cross pollination. I'm not too worried about what it will be like. If I'm wrong and it was just a couple really ripe zucchini, then I'll have extra zucchini this year. If it takes characteristics of both, that's cool too. We grow both anyways, so I'm sure we can use whatever we get. If there's some weird unpalatable mutation, then, oh well. It's a gamble I'm willing to take
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

No pics yet, but today I planted my sugar snap peas. Earliest planting of peas I've ever attempted. The charts say that my last frost date is 15 May, but that's just historical fiction.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    No pics yet, but today I planted my sugar snap peas. Earliest planting of peas I've ever attempted. The charts say that my last frost date is 15 May, but that's just historical fiction.

Bob
    i did some early planting also. i started my corn in seed trays. and dropped some that was 4'' tall this weekend,

and im not alone. i was at a major farm today and noticed they have thier field corn started but it wasnt even 1'' tall.

allthough my climate is a lot different than yours, i feel safe with what i did,, but you may still have some cold days still to go,??
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Peas require 2 to 4 weeks to germinate (slower in colder soil), which will mean the ones I just planted will come up in early April. They are also somewhat frost tolerant. If they all die, then I'll just replant them.

The peas I planted last year were all mowed down regularly by rabbits. I didn't get a single pea. I have encircled most of the pea bed this year with box fence, and I'll add an 18" high strip of bird netting to the bottom of the fence, to keep out the low life. The box fence will also keep deer away from the peas, since the bed is too small for a deer to "jump" into.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Peas require 2 to 4 weeks to germinate (slower in colder soil), which will mean the ones I just planted will come up in early April. They are also somewhat frost tolerant. If they all die, then I'll just replant them.

The peas I planted last year were all mowed down regularly by rabbits. I didn't get a single pea. I have encircled most of the pea bed this year with box fence, and I'll add an 18" high strip of bird netting to the bottom of the fence, to keep out the low life. The box fence will also keep deer away from the peas, since the bed is too small for a deer to "jump" into.

Bob
    I didn't know that they took so long to germinate. No wonder I've had hit and miss crops. I'll try starting them in the 1020 trays with domes outside so they don't dry out this year.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    I didn't know that they took so long to germinate. No wonder I've had hit and miss crops. I'll try starting them in the 1020 trays with domes outside so they don't dry out this year.
    thats the reason i start my whole garden in seed trays..

i mean how many people start thier corn in a seed tray???

and ive got a lot of it dropped in at least 6 trays i got in my greenhouse,,,,,,but as stated. i had this one variety i got from a dried cob last year..

i planted a whole tray of it, and only got 4 to come up./////////// what if id wasted a whole row to '' hoping '' that seed come up.

im experimenting with corn just as i am with my bright leaf tobaccoo ....'' trying to find the perfect strains '' that do what im looking for,

but this year i will incorporate a drip==line and a liquid fertilizer holding barrell to the system....[ 35 gallon barrell ]

it's like adding more powder to your musket,,,,,,,,,,,, with all that i should have amassive crop with everything im throwing out there.. i got some tomatoes thats suppose to reach 1 == 2 ..... lbs. so lwts see what they will do. among everything else.

remember i work for a major fertilizer plant,,,,,I GOT ALL THE BASES COVERED,,,,
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

What's wrong with this picture?

Notice that there are no bees out. It's too cold and windy. Here's my temp forecast for the next few days:

All the blossoms and swollen buds will freeze solid. The branches may split.

So, no apricots for me this year.

Bob

Yeah I know what you mean. This crazy on and off winter weather has everything all outta wack. We've already had magnolias blooming down here and I've even had annual flowers out by the mail box blooming. I thought they were dead but they've proved me wrong. We are expecting some snow in the next few days here in AL. I can only hope it does not snow much. Folks down here have little experience driving in snow/ice conditions and there are usually a ton of accidents. A great time to just stay off the roads around here.

Page 63 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast