Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Re: let's see your veggie garden {pics}

You can't fight the deer. they are gonna take what we take from them. As a hunter I owe them plenty. as a farmer I pay them plenty. They keep winning on the food scale, but I keep trying to feed them natural on my land and less in my garden. I did not lose 1 ear of corn to them this year..
    BarG

Everytime I open an area I plant peas for the deer.

my trail cam keeps track. when I see hogs I bring my trap and my sour corn.
    BarG

Quote Originally Posted by BarG View Post
    Everytime I open an area I plant peas for the deer.

my trail cam keeps track. when I see hogs I bring my trap and my sour corn.
    Deer are my favorite veggies.
    Next favorite might be potatoes. Look how awesome they're growing. I've already hilled them. I got no more dirt. Gotta see if I can find some for free.
    IMG_20170615_073222176~2.jpg

And an update on the pumpkin/zucchini cross. Pollination successful. It is indeed neither a pumpkin or a zucchini.
    IMG_20170615_072520049_HDR.jpg
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Are you expecting a fat zucchinoid? Are you growing any other Cucurbita pepo?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Are you expecting a fat zucchinoid? Are you growing any other Cucurbita pepo?

Bob
    Based on the present shape, I think that's what I might get. The fruit that the seeds came from was, naturally, shaped exactly like the zucchini mother, but had mild pumpkin flavored, orange flesh. I suspect it will taste like a mild pumpkin.

I'm growing three of these plants. They look slightly different. #1, the one photographed, has fewer, but larger leaves than the other two. #2 seems to have slightly less round fruit. #3 has smaller flowers.

My neighbor has a few different squashes - I haven't asked what they are - he planted them in a really lousy spot and doesn't stand a chance to get any fruit of substantial size.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

1 members have Nominated this post.

I dug my Czech Broadleaf Garlic today. The leaf stalks of about half of them had spontaneously laid to the ground. Unlike onions, which can usually be pulled from the ground, garlic needs to be dug out, to prevent tearing them apart. Using a hand cultivator, I dig a 5" deep trench alongside a garlic head, then press the flat blade of the cultivator beneath the head. In soft soil, the head can then be lifted out. In hard, dry soil, it's sometimes necessary to dig completely around the head (like a buried statue of a pharaoh), then gently lift it out.

The Slovenian Anka garlic is not quite ready yet.

With this soft-neck variety, I clean away the major hunks of dirt, then tie them by their leaves, in small batches.

Four small heads bolted, and formed a short stem, with tiny garlic buds at the top.

They will hang in the shed, until the leaves have dried to a straw color (a few weeks). Then, before braiding them, I peel away a couple of layers, carrying the remaining dirt away. Washing them tends to increase the likelihood of molding or rotting or bolting. So, dirty they will stay, until I can peel away the dirt.

The square knot can't really be tightened, but if the center of the knot straddles the line, then the knots never come apart.

If you grow your own garlic, always save the largest heads (I save two or three) for planting in the fall. The little ones will give you garlic, but then they will get smaller each year.

Bob

I grew zucchini one year. when they are a foot long pick them, split them in half and fill with cream cheese and throw in the oven.
    BarG

The two photos below are of my pears at about 6 weeks prior to harvest.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Deer are my favorite veggies.
    Next favorite might be potatoes. Look how awesome they're growing. I've already hilled them. I got no more dirt. Gotta see if I can find some for free.
    IMG_20170615_073222176~2.jpg

And an update on the pumpkin/zucchini cross. Pollination successful. It is indeed neither a pumpkin or a zucchini.
    IMG_20170615_072520049_HDR.jpg
    I never knew meat to be considered that ( a veggie ) .An essential food group , yes..
    BarG

Deer kinda counts as a veggie in my house because I put shredded pumpkin in my sausage.
    Update from wife:
    Attach6391_20170625_181931~2.jpg

And here's some canola for your viewing pleasure:
    IMG_20170627_113154579~3.jpg
    Pincher Creek AB

Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast