Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thanks to a thread, by deluxestogie,,,, it became obvious most of us have a veggie garden also,,,

so lets see some pic's of your veggie garden,,,

im growing,, cukes, tomatoes,squash,zuchinni,pole beans,jalepeno,bannana,cayenne peppers, and 2 rows of baccy in my veggie patch

garden01005.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-06-01
//
garden01006.jpg

//
garden01007.jpg

//
garden01008.jpg

workhorse_01

I have 42 rows total.. Green beans,tomatoes.jpgmeadow helpin.jpgTank helpin.jpgbaby white limas ,green limas,king of the garden limas,fordhooks, golden bantam corn ,truckers favorite corn,country gentelman corn,stowells evergreen corn,cherokee white eagle corn(grits),mayo colima beans,dixie baby butter peas,10/15 onions,holestien peas, fl.speckled butter beans,clemson spineless okra,old timer peas,jackson wonder beans,speckled butter peas,20'x20' hard red spring wheat, 1/4 acre kamut wheat, momma has the cukes 3 varieties, and we dont grow tomatoes the u-pick field sells them 8 dollars a five gallon bucket. The quart tomatoes just came out the canner

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hey Horse, Please remember me when your white eagle comes in. Like anything else there ain't nothing like fresh ground..

John

workhorse_01

shure will , i'm buying a wondermill jr this year and will be grinding grits, peanut butter, and flour . I'll get your address and send a care package too ya along with some of my world famous peach-hobbler jelly. the hobbler is 120 proof... wink-wink

johnlee1933

Founding Member
shure will , i'm buying a wondermill jr this year and will be grinding grits, peanut butter, and flour . I'll get your address and send a care package too ya along with some of my world famous peach-hobbler jelly. the hobbler is 120 proof... wink-wink

GREAT THANKS Please don't grind mine. I still do it as needed with a mortar and pestle. I'm fussy about the size of the grit. Threw away my last bag of commercial junk. Came out like cream of wheat baby food. Yeech.

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i love my grit's,, but ive never had any home-made, i wouldnt think it would be far off, from store bought is it?

and the hobbler sounds good, you may want to make some for sharing or selling,

im not a big booze drinker, but i have yet to find some fruit mix, hooch i aint liked,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
all the more reason to make plenty,,, some for you, the rest to share,,,

me and a friend 2 days ago was discussing making some watermelon wine,,, it's melon season here, and they are flowing in my area right now, look for them in local super-markets shortlly,

Steve2md

someone has to have a wife who makes killer dill beans....living in the desert here, they are a treat I get about once every ten years, soooo.....I'll be happy to pay hefty sums, (or possibly barter) for a few jars, just sayin

Steve2md

pretty sure they're a yankee thing (think upstate New York) basically same as dill pickles, but saltier, and they use green beans. an awesome tasty treat, but you need a dog to blame the resulting gas on if you eat too many (which is standard)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
pretty sure they're a yankee thing (think upstate New York) basically same as dill pickles, but saltier, and they use green beans. an awesome tasty treat, but you need a dog to blame the resulting gas on if you eat too many (which is standard)

Bein' the token Yankee here abouts I'll check with some friends about your dill bean recipe. I use a lot of dill weed but I'll bet this needs fresh dill. We'll see.

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im intrested in this recipe also, im growing beans,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK I checked around some. There are a lot of dilled bean pickle recipes on the net. They are all pretty much the same except hot peppers and dill. I checked with my sister-in-law and she said she never used dried dill leaves, just fresh but she didn't think it would make much difference. She used the old Fannie Farmer recipe. She chose not to use red pepper at all as my brother didn't like it. She said she tried home made cider vinegar and preferred it. You can adjust the vinegar/water ratio to get the sourness you prefer. I guess, much like tobacco, there a lot of "what you like" going on. She said she had forgotten about them and found a jar in the cellar and still liked them. The only thing I objected to was one recipe called for brown sugar. I don't think I'd like it with green beans.

Sorry I can't be much specific help.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Anybody have a good recipe for Okra? My girlfriend likes summer pickles (salt and vinegar on cucumbers) and she's also having me grow some Okra, thing is, I only know how to fry it haha, haven't seen any other spectacular recipes for it

My grandmother had a recipe for dill beans, made them every year, I'll see if I can snag it from her cook book sometime.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
These are a couple of my pickle recipes. Where they indicate "processing," the closed mason jars are submerged in water within a large pot, so that the water comes to at least 1" above the top of the lids. Bring to a boil, then time it. (No pressure canner here.) Remove from the hot water at the end of the processing time, and allow to cool. (I usually place the hot, processed jars of pickles on a large, flat inverted basket, though a folded towel will work.)

Green Tomato Pickles (also for Celery, Cabbage, Bell Pepper)
• Small green firm tomatoes (or larger sliced)
• (Celery stalks in 2" lengths)
• (Cabbage--red or green--chunks 1/2" x 2" x 1")
• (Bell Peppers quartered or sliced)
• (Brussels Sprouts sliced in half)
• Fresh dill (or a Tbsp of dill seed per quart)
• (optional) hot peppers to season
• Water (distilled: tap water may leave a cloudy solution)
• Distilled white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 2 parts water enough to fill jars)
• Salt (1 cup per quart of vinegar) [approx. 5 tbsp salt per quart of brine]
• GARLIC (1 to 4 cloves per jar)
• (optional) mustard seed (8 to 30 per jar)
• (optional) coriander (4 to 8 per jar)
• (optional) peppercorns (8 to 30 per jar)
• (optional) tarragon (fresh sprig per jar)

1. Wash vegetable and pack into sterilized jars
2. Add garlic (sliced once lengthwise or slightly crushed) and optional hot pepper to each jar
3. Make a brine of water, vinegar, salt, dill and optional spices. Boil for 5 minutes.
4. Pour the hot brine over the vegetable in the jars
5. Seal. Process for 5 minutes.
6. Ready for use in 4 to 6 weeks.
[1 quart vinegar, 2 qt. water, 1 cup salt make about 6 quarts]

Green Bean Pickle
• Green beans
• Salt (3 tbsp per qt of vinegar) [approx. 1-1/2 tbsp salt per quart of brine]
• Water
• Distilled white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 1 part water to fill jars)
• Dill head or 3/4 tsp dill seeds (per jar)
• Mustard Seed (30 per jar)
• Peppercorns (30 per jar) or small dried hot red pepper (1 per jar)

1. Wash beans. Cut in pieces or leave whole
2. Bring vinegar, salt, water to boil
3. Pack beans into hot, sterilized jars; add spices
4. Pour boiling liquid over beans.
5. Seal. Process 20 minutes.
6. Ready in 4 to 6 weeks.
[4 pounds beans; 6 tbsp salt; 3 cups water; 3 c vinegar makes about 6-7 pints]

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
good info. deluxestogie,

i will be using that recipe, sincs all the pickling i do,, is just A DASH OF THIS AND THAT,,, i usually only do peppers,, and okra,,

but this year,am definatlly going to try some beans,

MICHIBACCY i have 3 jars of okra i pickled from last year,,, that i havent tried one yet, ive had some samples tried by others, and they said they were good,

allthough my pepper's supply is running low, about the time i run out, i;ll be re-canning this years crop,

i like to let my okra '' sit'' and soften up real good, and let the spices get into the okra real good,, i shake the jar about twice a month,,

Status
Not open for further replies.