Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What the hell is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I got this seed from from greed bay as a token of there apprication for buying some seeds.
I do not even remember what ones, all it said was Nicotiana tabacum on the package.
Well that leaves a lot to be , well you know.
They are not even HPIM2092.JPGHPIM2093.JPGHPIM2094.JPGHPIM2095.JPGHPIM2096.JPGHPIM2097.JPG13 inches tall and starting to Bud,
Any Ideas Guys and Gals?
Thanks,
Tom

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom,
There's really no way to say, based on its appearance at this age. Although the leaves are clearly petiolate (a stem extending beyond the leaf lamina), many varieties appear petiolate early on, but then the leaves become sessile as they mature.

Do allow it to blossom, in order to observe the blossom color. The shape of the mature leaf will be somewhat helpful. Although it may be a pure-strain, rare and precious variety, I would consider poorly labeled tobacco seed to be a random hybrid of no particular worth. That doesn't speak well of the vendor.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It appears to be a variety of rustica. It also appears as if the flowers will be yellow (which is another indication od a rustica variety). The leaf looks very similar to a rustica variety I grew from seedman. The rustica I grew had 8-10 leaves and was a very short plant. The leaves turned a very deep dark green with a blueish tint when they matured.

rusticseedbag.jpg

Some of the flowers look pink, but that is actually brown from dead flowers.

Let it mature and if it smells like cat shit...it's a rustica.

Brown Thumb

Yea , Yea, That is it , Rustica tabacum it said on the package. Old age = hard drive failure.
Do they get flowers when they are that small ? Some are less than a foot and are starting to bud.
Thanks, Tom

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i cant smoke anything rustica,,,

very strong,

NRustica

Yeah, some of my rustica are a foot and start flowering and that's it. Others grow to 5' or better. Never had consistency with rustica.

Yea , Yea, That is it , Rustica tabacum it said on the package. Old age = hard drive failure.
Do they get flowers when they are that small ? Some are less than a foot and are starting to bud.
Thanks, Tom

Brown Thumb

Should I top them, Some even have suckers on them. Should I leave the suckers on them since they are so small.
I will bag a few. I have around 50 of these plants.
After some web searching I think they are nicotinia rustica. I lost the baggie.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
After some web searching I think they are nicotinia rustica. I lost the baggie.

My guess is they are n. rustica too

You can top them, but be prepared to deal with Medusa. Rustica doesn't like to be threatened in any way. If you top it, it will send out a bazillion suckers

at a rate you will not be able to keep up with.

Did I mention they get pretty stinky too?

Daniel

Banned
Now there is a customer appreciation gimmick for you. "In appreciation of your patronage we want to give you a gift that causes your garden to smell like a litter box" "Ya'll come back now, we have a special on horse urine next week".

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Now there is a customer appreciation gimmick for you. "In appreciation of your patronage we want to give you a gift that causes your garden to smell like a litter box" "Ya'll come back now, we have a special on horse urine next week".

This may give you a chuckle. I read the above attachment. One line said "The numerous, tiny, scarcely flattened, dark seeds -----" but I read "scarcely flatulent" . OK OK I re read it and got it right but considering the smell I think my error may have psychological . ;)

John

gargynko

Hi there, could you please help me identify my strain? Virginia is everything I know about it. Seller told me it is supposed to be VP-9 strain but not even google can provide me further information.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a beautiful crop. It's a heap of tobacco to plant with an unidentified variety. I checked the GRIN taxon database. Nothing is identified with "vp" except some varieties of corn and peas.

I certainly can't identify it from the excellent photos. Who is the seller? Where did he obtain the seed?

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Gorgeous plants, but like Bob says, it's going to be nearly impossible to identify the variety by the pictures.

The only thing I came up with using a search for Flue Cured and VP was where the VP stood for Very Poor in terms of condition. http://www.ncagr.gov/stats/weather/2011/week27.pdf
I doubt it's related, but who knows?

Unless you can find out for sure what variety it is, I would keep it labeled "unknown flue cure".

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It could be anything. They do resemble my Virginia Brightleaf so maybe the "V" in the VP-9 stands for "Virginia"? If I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, that would be my "final answer".

Brown Thumb

Wow, Nice Grow You got Going. Pics Too.
Crops popping up out of no Where. Cool.
It does look like some sort of Baccy Tho.
Welcome Aboard
BT

Status
Not open for further replies.