Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Talking Plants: Bugs vs. Jasmonate Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

so clipping suckers (injuring the plant) may help ward off insects at the same time? Just a thought.

Matty

Anyone familiar with a show called "the nature of things, with David Suzuki" ? There is an episode called "smarty plants" and it includes all this info, via mini-documetary, about tobacco's response to attack. I would post a link, but I am not able to. Maybe some good soul could post one for me 'cause I'd really like to share it with y'all. There is more to it than what has been mentioned here and the video makes it really easy to understand.

Fisherman

Seanz

Chicken,
That caterpillar at the top of the diagram is one of your hornworms. When it bites a leaf (and also when the tiny hooks on the hornworm's feet scratch the leaf), it sets off an alarm system that not only increases nicotine production in the attacked plant, but also warns its neighbors to do the same thing. Clipping seedling leaves also sets off the same alarm system.

Bob
I understand that now.... I think this is why i study social science lol

Matty

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/s...e-preview-smarty-plants-nature-of-things.html

In the Utah desert, Buffie learned that wild tobacco plants can detect that they are being eaten by a particular type of caterpillar called the hornworm, based on the "smell" of its saliva. The plants then call in the caterpillar's predators by releasing other chemical scents.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/ep...ring-the-secret-world-of-plant-behaviour.html

not sure which episode tho

Thanks for the help, I think you got it, Smarty Plants episode. It talks about the attack response of increasing nicotine production, producing chemical signals to attract predators of the attacking insects and how tobacco can change it's bloom cycle to attract different pollinators. The example they show has the blossoms being pollinated by moths, who in turn lay eggs on the plant, which is fine. When the moth population increases, so do the resulting caterpillars that eat the leaves, so, the plant blooms at a different time of day attracting a completely different pollinator, birds I think it was, and so the caterpillar population drops. Quite fascinating.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks for the help, I think you got it, Smarty Plants episode. It talks about the attack response of increasing nicotine production, producing chemical signals to attract predators of the attacking insects and how tobacco can change it's bloom cycle to attract different pollinators. The example they show has the blossoms being pollinated by moths, who in turn lay eggs on the plant, which is fine. When the moth population increases, so do the resulting caterpillars that eat the leaves, so, the plant blooms at a different time of day attracting a completely different pollinator, birds I think it was, and so the caterpillar population drops. Quite fascinating.

I haven't watched the vid but the moths start laying eggs here way before my baccy blooms. I started laying in a supply of BT a month ago. I'm already having to start the fight on my veggies.

DGBAMA

This year we're up to about 3000 freetail bats so bring it on moths I got something for ya.

If they den/roost/sleep on your property you will have all the high nitrogen fertilizer you need for next year. Three step program to make moths beneficial to tobacco. moth to bat to fertilizer. lol.

workhorse_01

Good read. I just moved the basil next to the peppers. Ineed all the help i can get! When you figure out what plant tobacco likes please post.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats why I was asking, let me search and see beings its less than a week old. I was too hurried to read it one morning.

skychaser

Plants "Listen" to the Good Vibes of Other Plants

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130507-talking-chili-plant-communication-science/

Plants might be able to eavesdrop on their neighbors and use the sounds they "hear" to guide their own growth, according to a new study that suggests plants use acoustic signaling to communicate with one another.

"We have shown that plants can recognize when a good neighbor is growing next to them," said study co-author Monica Gagliano, an evolutionary ecologist at the University of Western Australia.

"We are proposing that this communication may be based upon an acoustic exchange."

The findings, published this week in the journal BMC Ecology, suggest that plants can not only "smell" the chemicals and "see" the reflected light of their neighbors, they may also "listen" to the plants around them. .....continues

Status
Not open for further replies.