Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Talking Plants: Bugs vs. Jasmonate Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Or Why I'm confused.

This is a painless discussion of plant injury and response.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist this attractive, color-coordinated diagram. Just notice the top edge (with the caterpillar) and know that "JA" stands for jasmonate. A bug bite triggers a cascade of responses.
F1.large.jpg

Complete technical article: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/146/4/1459.full

Here's what I find interesting. While most plants possess genes that enable the plant to fight off infections and injuries, these genes are normally switched off. Their default status is "non-functional." The same thing is true in humans and other animals. When something bad happens, a plant (or your cousin Vinnie) must initiate the process of mounting a response. In addition, the plant (or Vinnie) may want to signal to its (his) neighbors to be on the alert, because something bad is going on. [See those little purple bubbles at the top of the diagram? That's the alert message.]

In plants, the flagman for cranking up the response (say, increasing alkaloid levels, like the level of nicotine) is jasmonate (JA) signaling. It initiates a response by switching on some idle genes. But it also must ultimately switch them back to their "off" position, so the whole affair becomes rather complex--too complex for me to follow. In animals, a group of compounds that are structurally similar to jasmonate, and function in starting and stopping defensive tools, is called prostaglandins (PG). It turns out that anti-inflammatory drugs, like aspirin, directly affect levels of the various PGs.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Studies have demonstrated that healthy people are able to smell certain infections and metabolic abnormalities in other people. Plants apparently do the same thing, through the JA Signaling system, which releases certain volatile chemicals from the leaf surface, and which are "sensed" and responded to by neighboring plants. The response in the injured plant, as well as in the alerted neighbors, includes the production of some chemicals that are unpleasant to insects, or that induce suicide in virus infected leaf.

As it turns out, herbivorous insects try hard not to trigger a big JA response. Small hornworms, for example, avoid eating the vein of a leaf, which will trigger a significant JA response. Full size hornworms throw caution to the wind, and eat all but the thickest veins.

For flying insect herbivores, the smell of the volatile chemicals of the JA response cause them to chose to go elsewhere, regardless of the actual plant defenses. These insects do not respond to, say, nicotine levels, but only to the "smell" of the jasmonate response in the air, when they decide which plant to land on for feeding.

Another impact of the JA cascade is that root elongation is slowed. This means that the roots grow more dense, a change which apparently enables them to devote more energy to alkaloid production, and the synthesis of other compounds that assist in resistance to attack or disease.

When I clip my seedlings, I am triggering the JA response. The JA response fades after a few days to a week. My impression is that the clipped transplants have thicker stalks, denser root systems, and are less likely to be attacked by slugs and bugs. So a final clipping a day or two prior to transplant should allow the seedlings a bit of a head start.

The same applies to denying the seedlings water for several days prior to transplant to the field. Water restriction triggers the JA pathways. Watering them well on the evening prior to transplant will make the process of transplantation easier, without reducing the "drought" effect.

Although I have included the entire, colorful diagram of the JA system, I have a clear understanding of only that caterpillar part at the top.

Much of the research from which these biochemical pathways were deduced was performed on tobacco derived from ARS-GRIN seed.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
That caterpillar at the top of the diagram is one of your hornworms. When it bites a leaf (and also when the tiny hooks on the hornworm's feet scratch the leaf), it sets off an alarm system that not only increases nicotine production in the attacked plant, but also warns its neighbors to do the same thing. Clipping seedling leaves also sets off the same alarm system.

Bob

Brown Thumb

I triple that ditto.
Looks like something my kids draw, Gives me a headache looking at it.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats interesting, dont fulling understand it but every little bit of knowledge helps. So if i clip a few leaves on spindly plants in theory they should develop stronger stalks?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my alarm system has done been alerted,

im spraying tonight for the '' worm''

workhorse_01

My sister & law could always smell sickness in my neice and nephews . They would breathe in her face and she would get them to the Dr. funny thing is she was right most all the time. Hey wasn't there a movie where the trees killed off most of the population with those little purple bubbles and the wind ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So if i clip a few leaves on spindly plants in theory they should develop stronger stalks?
Darren1979,
Once your seedlings are outside, Bugs will do the "clipping" for you. My comments apply to seedlings prior to transplanting. That's when toughening them up will have the most benefit.

??Trees killed off the population??

Bob

workhorse_01

Yes ,I cant remember the name of the movie but people just started walking off of buildings and shooting themselves and it was a defense mechanism from the trees.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Yes ,I cant remember the name of the movie but people just started walking off of buildings and shooting themselves and it was a defense mechanism from the trees.

lol..

they'd be some dead people around here,,,, logging is very popular in north florida,,

i bet thiers some pissed pine trees around me<

Fisherman

Well as of 3-24-13 my lil plants are hollering at the top of their chlorophyll filled leaves! :) Thanks for info on clipping. Next year will invest in cold frame to eliminate all the hauling back and forth trying to harden off plants like im doing this year

Fisherman

I was looking at a youtube video on how to make lactobacillis bacteria culture to spray plants with and found some info on a fungus that invades insects brains and make them climb up high as they can and die.. then they grow out of the insects heads.... The product is very expensive when harvested and sold.
Come to find out there is similar thing in a domestic cat that can get in humans.... WOW

Fisherman

The first week after I set my plants out , they were attacked by 4 kinds of caterpillers and since being chewed on there has only been 2 isolated attacks.............. Could be coincidence but I think is what you are talking about here....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to say. When tobacco plants are munched, they increase the production of alkaloids. As they grow older, they increase the production of alkaloids. Or maybe jasmonates increased the bird predation of the insects. Maybe a little of all three.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.