Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

An excerpt from VOLATILE CONSTITUENTS OF PERIQUE TOBACCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
An excerpt from VOLATILE CONSTITUENTS OF PERIQUE TOBACCO
written by; Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 4(2), 2005. March - April Issue

IINTRODUCTION:

Perique tobacco is a minor tobacco type produced by subjecting the leaf of a Red Burley (USDA Type 72) to a partial air-curing followed by a high pressure anaerobic fermentation process. Genuine Perique grows successfully only in a small, wedge shaped piece of land west of New Orleans called St. James' Parish. Within St. James' Parish, the best, and only current location the Red Burley for Perique is grown is a relatively tiny place called Grande Point Ridge, near Paulina, LA. on a dark alluvial soil.

Growers have tried sowing the Red Burley seed in places all over the world with similar climate and soil conditions without any significant success other than Kentucky Green River Burley, which can be grown in larger crops, and is processed to make a “faux” (fake) Perique.

In 2002, the world's production of pure Perique -11,460 pounds - was stored in 27 oak whiskey barrels at the last producers farm. It is estimated that an additional amount of about 50,000 pounds of the Acadian Green River “faux” Perique is produced. Although several hundred thousand pounds of “genuine” Perique was produced at one time, it is likely that its production will cease at some point in the near future due to its labor intensity, changing demographics, and economics.

The process used to produce Perique is essentially the same as introduced commercially in the 1820’s by Pierre Chenet who had observed the Chocktaw Indians smoking a tobacco that had been fermented under pressure in tree stumps using a press and a lever. The tobacco is harvested in late June and cured with air-drying, though for a shorter time than standard Burley. After air drying for about three weeks the main veins (or midribs) are removed by hand; the leaves then being tied into 'torquettes' or tight bundles of approximately 1 pound (450 g). These are pressed in large oak whiskey barrels with very heavy pressure, the 'juices' being collected as they seep out of the top of the press. The torquettes are turned and returned to the press (along with the “juices”) a number of times over the better part of a year, fermenting "anaerobically", or without air. The whole process takes about a year at the very minimum and is highly labor intensive in relation to curing other strains of tobacco.

This, in combination with the limited crop supply, makes Perique rare, and very
expensive.

Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Wow, that's a pretty good video...and just put on youtube today. Thanks for posting it.
Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Somewhere I had an article (can't find it anymore) where some reserches analyzed the chemical make up of Perique. They also analyzed a "regular" tobacco strain. If I remember correctly, there were 32 additional chemicals found in Perique. My favorite one was Pine Bark Beetle Mating Hormone!

BigBonner

Founding Member
I would like to know the dark sauce that has been added to the tobacco to make the fermenting action .The leaves when placed into the barrels are wet , wet looks like high case . But I don't think it has enough moisture in the tobacco to come to the top of the barrel and run out . I also noticed that it is actually fermenting with the air bubbles and some foam .It is almost like they added yeast with a sauce to the tobacco to ferment with the tobacco sugars .
Im making a whiskey barrel of hand tied with the stem still in tobacco now . It is a little over 3/4 full . I work on it a hand at a time when I have the time . I have sprayed the hands with extra water to have it in a high case but no way near the case that is in the video .Im putting around 4000 to 5000 pounds pressure on the tobacco with my 4x4 deere with a front end loader . when I get the barrel full I will load the loader bucket with creek rock and add around 2500 pounds more pressure on top of the 4 to 5 thousand pounds .

I need the sauce mixture . Or a sauce mixture and how to make the fermentaion action .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Larry,

There used to be a video on making Perique, but it (like everything I ever posted on howtogrowtobacco) is gone.

The video was of the entire process used by Percy Martin. He would color cure the leaf until the lamina and veins were color cured, then tie the leaf in hands, pack the hands in a barrels and compress for a couple of weeks. Unpack the hands and whip them on the side of a barrel to aerate the leaves.

I remember distinctly the farmhands using a garden hose and sprayer to moisten the hands before they were packed back into the barrels. They sprayed the hands and whipped then again to get the excess water off, then repack the barrels.

The sauce you're looking for is water....I'm sure you already know this, but I'll include...don't use municipal water because it can contain chlorine. I don't know what affect minerals have on fermentation, but rain water might not be a bad idea if you have unusually hard well water.

The new video shows the tobacco being stripped before it's packed. I've also seen other videos where the Perique is already stripped coming out of the barrels, but I believe this is a new method to accommodate the buyers.

As far as the amount of weight...everything I've read has said the equivalent of 7000 lbs is what is used to compress the leaf in standard 58 gal. barrels, so you're right on the money with what you're doing.

Are there any old hogshead rams in your neck of the woods? You might be able to turn one on its side and use it for compressing the barrels.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason, that Percy Martin video has been removed from any websites that had it posted.

I did find the following articles:

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/07/perique_has_made_a_fiery_comeb.html, which includes this photo:
large_tobacco.bmp

http://www.theitalianpipe.com/infowell/articles/perique.htm

volatile constituents: http://www.leffingwell.com/download/Volatile Constituents of Perique Tobacco4.pdf

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here are some interesting presses.

samp03.jpg

If you had two trees close together, one could be used as the fulcrum and the other could have a ratchet strap attached at the base to pull a lever down. The tree in the picture looks like Elm...that stuff doesn't split. I think you'd have to use at least an 8" x 8" hardwood lever, but a 10" x 10" would be better.

tobacco_press.jpg

FC_V3_I07_Feb_2001_06-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.