Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New From Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grundle

Hey y'all I am new around here. I thought I would try my hand at growing tobacco this year, but I am starting a little late. Since I am busy trying to get into medical school I figured I would chalk it up to being a year of experimentation with low expectations. I am a fairly patient fellow so if things don't work out I always have next year.

I am also a big fan of viticulture. I have several vines of Frontenac Gris in their third year this year, so I expect to get some good bunches, which I hope to use for my first batches of home-made wine.

I mostly enjoy pipe and cigar smoking, and I think 3 or 4 plants would last me an entire year. I have enjoyed the grow blogs around here, and I have already learned a ton from reading.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Grundle,
Welcome to the forum. If you click on My Profile (upper right), you can add your location to your profile. This will be helpful to other members in providing a context to your comments or questions.

You may find that 4 plants are not quite enough to allow you the latitude to discover the best approach. But it's a start. What varieties are you planning?

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You are not too late! If you order rooted transplants theree should def be enough time.

Grundle

Bob,

Thank you for the pointers. I made an update to fix that.

I only bought one variety this year. I know I am late, so I really want to germinate and get it into the ground for some practice. I bought a strain called "Small Stalk Black Mammoth". I bought it mainly because it was marked as "cigar/pipe" so I figured that is in my arena. With what I have learned already, I am thinking next year I will try 3 or 4 varieties.

Has anyone tried this cultivar? I haven't seen anyone mention it on this site yet..but I haven't been around long either =D

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pm bigbonner he has a few varieties and ppl seem satisfied.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
his plants he ship's from what ive read, by people who has recieved them was very positive,

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
No, you are not that late starting seeds, but you may find yourself having to water in July/August to keep the plants alive.

I'm in Cass Co, MO - planted my starts the first week of May, and my virginia's are in the 2-3 ft range now. Other strains are a little slower taking off. Am expecting to start priming leaves in early/mid-July, and finish in August.

I started seeds for a 2nd crop this last week, mostly cigar strains. There is still lots of time as our average first frost is mid-October. I did this 2nd crop thingy last year, and the worst problem that I encountered was color-curing the leaf in late-September and October - cool temperatures and lower humidity gave me partially dried-green leaf for my last of the primed leaf.

I'm not a cigar-man, except occasionally. Just doing the cigar varieties so I got something to play with during the long winter months. And if we get hit with extreme drought or early hard-frost, and I lose most of my 2nd crop, it's no big deal! This is just an experiment for me now.

Grundle

@LeftyRighty - Thanks for those tips, you made me feel much more at ease. I think I will follow your approach. It will make a good contrast to see how the later seeds do compared to seedlings. You are pretty close to my neck of the woods. Maybe later in the season we can do a meetup and compare notes :)

Thanks to everyone else for being so open and quick to share knowledge. I have been to a lot of forums where people Lord their knowledge over the newer members, but here it is refreshing to see such a zeal to share a common passion with others. Thanks for making me feel at home right from the start.

Daniel

Banned
Welcome Grundle, I now live in Reno NV but grew up in Northeastern Kansas. Actually I was born in southwest Kansas spent time living in Garden City and Liberal. Eventually My father found work in Salina and then worked for KSU in Manhattan for the remainder of his career. We lived on a 6 acre farm 5 miles south of Manhattan for several years before moving to a 20 acre farm 13 miles west of Manhattan between St. George and Wamego. I moved away and remained in Reno 34 years ago at the ripe old age of 16. I have always missed Western Kansas and the greenery and wildlife. I would miss the lifestyle of Reno. A city that never closes. Growing tobacco would be a heck of a lot easier to do their also.

Grundle

Welcome Grundle, I now live in Reno NV but grew up in Northeastern Kansas. Actually I was born in southwest Kansas spent time living in Garden City and Liberal. Eventually My father found work in Salina and then worked for KSU in Manhattan for the remainder of his career. We lived on a 6 acre farm 5 miles south of Manhattan for several years before moving to a 20 acre farm 13 miles west of Manhattan between St. George and Wamego. I moved away and remained in Reno 34 years ago at the ripe old age of 16. I have always missed Western Kansas and the greenery and wildlife. I would miss the lifestyle of Reno. A city that never closes. Growing tobacco would be a heck of a lot easier to do their also.

You grew up in one of the most beautiful parts of Kansas. Those flint hills towards Manhattan are simply amazing. Watching a fine sunset with the wind blowing through that landscape is unforgettable.

A little further south I have 30 acres of pristine land. In the future I plan to use it for some grape, and if I enjoy this as much as I have my grapes, some tobacco as well.

I spent time in Reno setting up some pharmacies for a company I used to work for. I have to admire your ability to grow anything out there. It takes some real fortitude and determination, but I bet the sense of satisfaction is ten-fold as well. It seems to me that Kansas-men are a bit more stubborn than most, so you are well suited to what you are doing ;)

Rayshields

Welcome Grundle,
I am in North Central Missouri and have about 125 Small Stalk Black Mammoth in the ground and about 100 Black Mammoth. The Virginia Bright Leaf has been outgrowing them and my Burley, but the Black Mammoth is really coming on with very large lower leaves. If I can get this stuff cured correctly, I will have way more than I need.

Grundle

Wow, it looks like the Missouri valley is well represented here. It looks like I am going to have a ton of great experience to lean on.

@Rayshields have you grown the SSBM before, or is this your first run at it? What have you grown in the past? Do you have pics?

Brown Thumb

welcome,
Just remember if you want to work in a hospital a lot of them test you for smoking.
Tom

Grundle

welcome,
Just remember if you want to work in a hospital a lot of them test you for smoking.
Tom

I'm not really an avid smoker. I smoke about 2 - 3 times a year. This leans more to my interest in horticulture, and my father loves cigars so I think I can offload a bunch to him. Having the stuff around may change my habits though ><

Status
Not open for further replies.