Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Etch Virus (TEV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Tobacco plants are being used for detecting ozone in the area they are grown too... This "weather flecking" is wild.... Ozone is more abundant I think in stormy weather and I think that lightning makes it.... WOnder if there is worse leave quality in stormy years as a result?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Fisherman,
If you add a brief intro to the links that you post, it will allow members to have some idea of its content, rather than having to follow the link to find out what it concerns.

This particular link is indeed about tobacco and viruses (the production of Influenza vaccine within tobacco leaf), but it's not about Tobacco Etch Virus, which is the specific subject of this thread.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm not shure if this is TEV and I only have this video from my phone..

[video=vimeo;69205422]https://vimeo.com/69205422[/video]

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It could be TMV, it's hard to tell. TEV will actually appear to be etching itself into the leaves, almost like an acid is very slowly eating away at them.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That does look like Stogies pictures. I think all you can do is pull it and the roots and burn them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Before you pull it up....

I have two plants this season that appear to have TEV. They are located at opposite corners of the property--about 60 yards (~60 meters) apart. I have been observing them. None of their neighbors show any indication of infection. My impression is that TEV is brought to the plant by an insect visit, and that TEV does not seem to spread readily within the tobacco beds.

I may regret my decision to just observe, but I really do want to gain a better understanding of the risk. Last year, I had one plant affected (in an entirely different location). I pulled the plant, and replaced it with a fresh transplant. Though the transplant never showed signs of TEV, it never grew into a useful plant.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
Thanks Bob. I will wait and observe few more days.
I also read on forestryimages:
The virus overwinters in perennial solanaceous weeds and is transmitted to tobacco by migrating aphids.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
My professional friend feels there is a relationship between potatoes and tobacco virus. He won't grow potatoes anywhere on his farm. No one in his co-op will either. I was going to grow some this year in a tire tower and gave up the idea.

Youn

Hello!
A case of supposed Tobacco Etch Virus :

First I noticed one plant with curled leaves :
01_curled_leaves.jpg
Only one of 24 plants had this problem.
A few days later, brown spots colonized the leaves…
VAmalade.jpgfeuille_malade_01.jpgfeuille_malade_02.jpg
… and several other plants were contaminated (non-contiguous).
feuille_malade_03.jpgetch_zoom.jpg

Now, a few weeks later, only 4 plants remain totaly free of disease although most are not as affected as that given above in example (The Vuelta Abajo variety seems to be more affected).

Johnlee1933's assertion make sense in my case because the land used had previously hosted potatoes and there are some nearby.

I noticed that the plants that remained healthy were not injured (no suckers or leaves removed).
The most affected plants are those that had precocious suckers to remove (these were removed with a disinfected tool).

The time has come to top now and I'm affraid to do so… should I avoid any kind of injure with the healthy plants in order to save them from the virus? And if I don't top, would it decrease the quality of the crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.