Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preservation of Smokeless Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I haven't seen this on the forum as of yet so please correct me if I am wrong:

What should we as home growers use for preservation of tobacco if anything?

If we are mixing sugar (or sugarless) substances with tobacco, heating up and then storing will this not make mold on the tobacco?

I know Redman, Levi Garrett etc don't usually mold in their pouch, but what makes that so? I do know sugar has some preservative characteristics but believe it's not as preserving as say salt. (I don't want salty chew though...)

Any help and suggestions (Conversation or techy talk) is greatly appreciated!

-michibacy

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Why not just save the tobacco the way we all do? You can let it hang almost forever unless your area is too humid. Then when you want, blend a bag or two and use it.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Oh I plan to, I just didn't know how long a "pouch" of homegrown chew would last without molding. I would hate to make up a new pouch when ever I wanted a new thing of chew. if I could make 2-3 and have them last me no problem I would be all set.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK, I dug a little deeper and the most common preservatives seem to be Sodium Benzoate, Benzoic acid and Ascorbic acid. I have no clue as to concentrations. Calcium Propionate is a regular additive to baked goods and might work for chew. I didn't research availability or suppliers. You might want t try one of the on line vitamin sites. Glycerin seems to be a fairly common moisturizer.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Even if you don't want salty you still add a little to bring out flavor. Even cookies have salt

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm pretty sure baking soda is used in chew and wet snuff. If enough baking soda is used, will raise the ph over 7 which is too high for most mold to grow.

I'm sure there are recipes in the smokeless tobacco forums.

workhorse_01

US Smokless tobacco has the ingredients available for all their products. Copenhagen is fire cured and aged for three years and the preservative is salt.

SmokeStack

To make chewing tobacco, do I need to use (kiln) fermented tobacco? I have some air cured Burley (TN90) and flue cured Virginia (Bright Leaf) that has not yet been fermented.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would say... It depends. If the tobacco has aged for 6 months or more then it is probably OK to use. Take a small handful and make a batch. You might find that it tastes fine, or that you need to let it age another 6 months. I think your Burley will make a better tasting chew. The thicker leaf will absorb more sauce and give a better mouth feel than the thinner Virginia.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I plan on using some of my Green Brior for chew, it seems to have a good thickness and consistency. I want to make some "short cut chew" (like Hawken wintergreen) and will probably use some of the silk leaf for that mixed with the green brior.

Status
Not open for further replies.