Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

virginia plant seed buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjames74

My virginia plants are around 4 feet tall and have seed buds on them.
Should i cut the seed bud off and dry in a paper bag or not cut them off yet?
As far as the seed buds , none of them have flowered yet.
What should I do with these virginia perique plants.
Any info would be helpful.:eek:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Have you bagged them? If so just let them mature and dry right on the stalk. If you have not bagged you can do the same thing but the possibility of cross pollination would make the seed unidentifiable and of little use to anyone but you.

The blossom petals will fall off. The seed pods will go from green to brown and if you're not careful they'll split and your seeds will be gone. After the petals have fallen and browning has just started I cut the entire head(s) and cut them up so I have loose pods. I put them in a cigar box in a warm dry place... Occasionally I shake the box. As time goes by the pods will split and you will see a film of seeds on the bottom of the box. Eventually I strain the whole works thru a kitchen strainer and have loose seed with remarkably little chaff. I hope this helps.

John

Rayshields

I topped several of my Virginia Bright Leaf this morning. The seed heads were not flowering yet, but I supposed this seed is pretty plentiful so I didn't plan to save seed. My plants were about 3 feet tall.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I topped several of my Virginia Bright Leaf this morning. The seed heads were not flowering yet, but I supposed this seed is pretty plentiful so I didn't plan to save seed. My plants were about 3 feet tall.

You might want to bag one or two. You never know when you or a friend might need some seed. After all, you got yours somewhere, right?

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It's also good to collect new seed each year so if one lot is np good you have the newer one to fall back on. I can't resist saving seed off the best plant personally :)

Status
Not open for further replies.