Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Root maggots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compo

I had 20 Burley plants in the ground for a week. Checked them yesterday and one plant was laying on the ground. There was a lot of small maggot like bugs crawling all over the roots. Looked on the internet and there seems to be either a lot of different "Root Maggots" or the same ones with different names.

Question: Is there anything I can do about these things and are the rest of my plants in danger?

Thanks for any help and info.

BarG

Founding Member
I had 20 Burley plants in the ground for a week. Checked them yesterday and one plant was laying on the ground. There was a lot of small maggot like bugs crawling all over the roots. Looked on the internet and there seems to be either a lot of different "Root Maggots" or the same ones with different names.

Question: Is there anything I can do about these things and are the rest of my plants in danger?

Thanks for any help and info.

Can you post a picture and could they have been in your starting container and hatched out after transplant? I had a problem with tiny fungus knat maggots that eggs hatched after being laid and they make your sprouts wilt over and die. Probably not the same as yours, but they will suck the juice out of fresh roots and tender stalks as in seedlings at ground level. They are very tiny..

Compo

Finally found some good information. The maggots are from a small fly that likes onions, garlic (there was some wild garlic where I planted the tobacco) and leeks.
I read an article that said to mix one ounce of Hydrogen Peroxide with one quart of water and drench the plant. Did that and now it is growing again. It was laying flat on the ground. Sorry about no pictures, think the wife hid the camera from me. I tend to break delicate things a lot!!! Thank for your help< Rick

BigBonner

Founding Member
I don't know if this works for root maggots . I have never seen them before .
I haven't used this for 10 years but ,When farmers here plant tobacco they add Orthene to the transplant water for worms and such .
One other additive goes into the transplant water for cut worms and I would assume it would work for root maggots , that is a little shot of turpentine .
I remember putting about a quarter cup in to the setter barrel . The barrel was like a 55 gallon steel drum .

This does work and is great for fresh plowed sod ground .

Brown Thumb

I see you are in PA Also. Wack it with some Liquid Seven and some Slug Killer.
This years temps. have wreaked Hell on my crop and veg. garden. But this has worked for me for them Critters.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.