Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Transplants in, Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I got some transplants in the ground a couple days ago. Being the noob that I am, I'm not sure if is should be worried about some of them or not. I'm wondering if I should maybe support them a bit, or maybe trim them a little, or do I just need to learn to have more patience? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

7382944146_47bccc8876_c.jpg

7382951750_0f198b560b_z.jpg

Thanks

Aaron

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have two questions .

How hot is it where you are ?
How much water did you give them ?

They should stand up at the cool night time and lay down in the day unless it is extremely hot and dry . I see the leaf they look like the sun mand temp may be over 90 degrees .

Aaron

Yesterday it was about 85 degrees and partly cloudy, but I think the plants probably got a good 5 hours of full sun. Today it got up to 81 degrees and was mostly cloudy and just got a little rain a few hours before I took the pictures. The day before I set the plants i irrigated a little. The night I set the plants I'd say about the top two to three inches of soil were dry in most spots. I made myself a little redneck watering can (soup can on a stick) for watering when i planted them, which I think was about 2 cups water per plant or a little less.

Grundle

I recently transplanted and experienced something similar, however I have been watering the seedlings in the evening. Generally when I arrive home after work they are wilted and drooping. The no-dig bed I have made was dry as a bone, but after watering it was as Bonner has said -- The plants stand up in the cool of the night.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My impression from the photos is that they are over-watered. Were these your own transplants, or were they purchased?

Bob

Aaron

I purchased them from Bonner, they were in pretty good shape when I got them. A little hunched over but otherwise good shape when i planted them. when I got home yesterday evening they were looking pretty wilted. I would say this morning they were looking a little better, they seemed to have lifted up a bit. They seem to be looking worse tonight than last so i figured it'd be best to ask. I should say that its not all of them either... at least half of them look about the same as they did when i planted them.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Those are probably the burley I sent to Aaron
They were harden plants .
What has me wondering is the leaves on the plants are drying up like heat .

One thing that might make plants do this is watering in the heat of the day .

How deep are the holes throught the black mulch cover ?

Black will make them alot hotter than normal ground would .
Check te soil moisture and make sure they are not too wet . I know some soil will dry quicker than other soil will .

Give them a day or two and see what they look like . I have plants lay down like that for three days in hot weather and then stay up and grow . Mine gets one cup at transplant then wattered by mother nature .

Aaron

Awesome, thanks guys. That's pretty much everything that had me guessing. Bonner. the holes are probably 6 in deep. I've actually been second guessing myself about using that weed barrier too. At the beginning of this week I had gone out to cut out the holes after it had been in the mid 90's all day and the ground under the cloth was very warm. Do you think I should just pull it up to be on the safe side. I'm not sure its even blocking weeds much anyways.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Measure the temp of the soil before getting rid of the black stuff. It keeps weeds and moisture loss down and can be really convenient as long as it's not baking them

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I forgot to say, are the rest doing fine? It's normal to lose some transplants(at least it is for me)

Aaron

Measure the temp of the soil before getting rid of the black stuff. It keeps weeds and moisture loss down and can be really convenient as long as it's not baking them

ok, few questions. what temps are acceptable? what may be too hot? what depth do you think i should measure at?

Aaron

I forgot to say, are the rest doing fine? It's normal to lose some transplants(at least it is for me)
Ya, I think i ended up with about 65 plants all together and I'd say I have about 20 or so that are looking like this, but the pictures i took were some of the worst looking ones.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My impression that they are over-watered was based on the plants lying down, together with soil that appeared waterlogged. I may have been misreading the black barrier.

Knowing that they were hardened transplants eliminates one consideration.

I would just feel the soil about 3 inches down. If it feels damp, then I wouldn't water. I think doing less (and worrying less) is probably better at this point.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If your plants come back to life, dig them up, cut the first two leave off and re-plant them to just below the top of the terminal bud. You have way to much stem for that small of a plant. This can only be caused by insufficient light during initial germination and/or over fertilizing.

Bury the stalk and it will generate new root growth, reduce evaporation through the leaves and create a stronger stalk after it/they become re-established.

Don't add any fertilizer for a couple of weeks.

Water to keep moist, but not wet for the first few days, then allow the soil to dry and toughen-up the plants. After the plants have wilted from lack of water, water them thoroughly and let them dry out again. You should be able to go a week before they need water again.

Plants will wilt during the heat of the day and rise from the dead at night. Your plants should look plump and healthy in the morning and like they're dead at 5:00 in the evening.

Fisherman

If your plants come back to life, dig them up, cut the first two leave off and re-plant them to just below the top of the terminal bud. You have way to much stem for that small of a plant. This can only be caused by insufficient light during initial germination and/or over fertilizing.

Bury the stalk and it will generate new root growth, reduce evaporation through the leaves and create a stronger stalk after it/they become re-established.

Don't add any fertilizer for a couple of weeks.

Water to keep moist, but not wet for the first few days, then allow the soil to dry and toughen-up the plants. After the plants have wilted from lack of water, water them thoroughly and let them dry out again. You should be able to go a week before they need water again.

Plants will wilt during the heat of the day and rise from the dead at night. Your plants should look plump and healthy in the morning and like they're dead at 5:00 in the evening.

Man that would be like going to a family members wake every day! :)
[[[ not meaning anything funny over such a delicate subject tho]]]

ALSO: How did the plants turn out?????

Aaron

I had maybe a dozen or so survivors. I think the guys here covered all the mistakes I had made very well. First mistake was too much water. I had irrigated the plot a couple days before and had too much ground moisture then, when planting I was using a spade to make my holes which packed the sides which basically made a dirt cup that held water instead of draining. Then I also gave twice as much water as I should have when setting them. Second mistake was the black weed barrier. I was doing all this during a solid heat wave and believe I cooked them a bit too. I had two sets of rows and most of my survivors were in the area where I didn't use the weed barrier. Third mistake was not planting them deep enough. I had set the root ball just below the surface. I think they might have fared better if they were deep enough to give the stalk more support and protect the root ball from the high heat at the surface. In all I'd say even with all the mistakes I made it was still great experience and I learned a good bit from it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yeah;

i looked at the thread and noticed it was from last year,,,

but my first thought was '' that plants dead''

Fisherman

Glad you answered! Many thanks.

Im having hell hardening mine off and I dont remember taking this much time with even the yungins! :)

First day in sun about 15 minutes does them in and after a week of more and more they seem to be able to take 6 hours sun but it has been cool sunny days. Still is progress and I am also watering to much. You can see broken leaves mold almost in a day or two in contact with potting mix.

Fisherman

Wonder if one of those hand held temp gizmos that you point at something and it tells temps would be good for that? Or to expensive?
Guess it works like radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.