Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

last date to transplant seedlings in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

You might try to find someone in your area that sells firewood and offer them the wood if they cut it down and take it away.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
correct storage is a steel vented storage container not close to any buildings, kinda like the fire cabs in the lab.

SmokeStack

correct storage is a steel vented storage container not close to any buildings, kinda like the fire cabs in the lab.

Thanks SmokesAhoy, you pointed me into the right direction. I did some more research and came up with two interesting websites.

The first is from the ATF website:

http://www.atf.gov/explosives/how-to/explosive-storage-requirements.html

The second is a website that sells TYPE 2 indoor explosive storage magazines:

http://www.armagcorp.com/explosives-magazines/type2-indoor

The Armagcorp website did not display any prices for the Type 2-indoor magazine; however, they must be very expensive since a small "day box" goes for over $900. Buy the time you tally up the costs and hassles of using explosives to remove tree stumps, it may not be the most viable option.

I wonder if something like an L-series Kubota (equipped with a loader) would have the power to rip out stumps. If so, I would consider buying a tractor.

jeapadrenaline

Kubota tractors with loaders are very good quality. Not sure how big the l series is, but either way the loader would be handy as tou would most likely need to do some digging around the stump before pulling on it. If i remember right, you said the stumps are 1 foot diameter, if so a front end loader would do a good job. Probably be a good investment. I have pulled stumps up to about 8 inches with my 4x4 truck, bur still need to do some root digging and cut a couple off to be able to gwt the stump out. I leave the stump 3 feet tall for leverage. Its hard on a pickup, but its all i got.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Smoke,
rent you a mini-excavator for a day and give that a go. They surprised me as to how quickly they will get-it-done. The only drawback here was the cost, around 175/day.

SmokeStack

Smoke,
rent you a mini-excavator for a day and give that a go. They surprised me as to how quickly they will get-it-done. The only drawback here was the cost, around 175/day.

Not a bad idea! The cost seems reasonable. But I don't know how to operate one. I will find a local rental business and give them a call - I'm sure that they can provide me with the details.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Many stump remover powders are potassium nitrate. If it doesn't work one way perhaps it'll work the other way.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I wonder if something like an L-series Kubota (equipped with a loader) would have the power to rip out stumps. If so, I would consider buying a tractor.

Rent or hire a stump grinder. I've been in construction where 100's of acres are cleared and I've never seen explosives used. Seems kind of silly to me to even consider it.

Maybe 150 years ago when all you have at your disposal was a team of horses, explosives would be the answer...especially when the timber harvested was virgin.

Today, if you find a tree bigger than 3' in diameter, you'll make enough off the log to hire a grinder and put a chunk of change in your pocket. Second and third growth can easily be dug up with a track hoe.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Around here you can hire a bulldozer or excavator for about $100.00 an hour plus $75.00 one time delivery fee. That's driver and everything. Also I cleared about 5 acres 5 years ago and contacted a pulpwooder. I sold the pines and gave them the hardwood just to cut it and haul it off. Pocketed $2500.00 and then hired a dozer to push up the stumps. Still made money on the deal. I had alot of trees big enough to saw though sounds like yours would be mostly pulpwood but it would still be worth getting it priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.