Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Silk leaf tops out early

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I had a silk leaf plant put out buds a week ago and topped it off. Should that be a sign to harvest in a few weeks for that particular plant which I see as an anonomaly as the surrounding silkleafs are bigger, broader leaves and no sign of budding yet.
[No clue if I should let continue and do sucker control for extended period. After topping it started producing suckers I noticed this morning.]
Its not a big deal but triggers my curiosity. The plant in question is short with stout stalk and wide spacinng between leaves.100_2067.jpg cousins to the first pic.100_2068.jpg

All of my crop will be in different stages. This is a beautiful short stout plant with very narrow pointed leaves . I am wondering how large this variety gets upon full maturity?

Last edited:

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I say what you have is kinda normal for Silkleaf. I grew it the last 2 years, best height was in the 3-4 ft range at topping out, and it sets buds early. Was always the first in my garden, and not consisent - a few budding, while others, later. I usually waited until almost all had buds showing, a few in full bloom, then topped all at the same time. But there is nothing wrong with topping them as they show.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks LR, Jitterbugdude turned me onto some cured silk leaf and I just had to grow some after that.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The Silk leaf I grew 3 years ago was a very small plant. Rather than topping the plant as soon as the button appears, let it grow and top the plant when the flower head becomes more developed. This will prevent suckers starting while the plant is gaining height. This should also allow the leaves to develop more after topping.

I know I've preached topping in button stage, but I guess I never considered the height of the plant before. Last year, I had 7' 142 in button stage.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You might want to bag that plant. You might be able to selectively breed a plant that matures earlier than most- could be an important trait for someone that lives with summertime temperatures that sometimes exceed hell.

BarG

Founding Member
You might want to bag that plant. You might be able to selectively breed a plant that matures earlier than most- could be an important trait for someone that lives with summertime temperatures that sometimes exceed hell.

It is still in the process of making a new bud. I'll bag it if it makes a good one.

Thanks for the advice FmGrowit, it won't go to waste.

leverhead

I moved to Texas from New Hampshire, I can sweat far more comfortably than I can shiver.

BarG

Founding Member
Ive heard just the opposite many a time , as recently as yesterday. It's not the heat so much that gets to people as the combined heat with humidity. It seems a dry heat is more bearable. As is a dry cold.

BarG

Founding Member
Either one will kill you, I'm skinny enough, I'll take the heat. That and I don't have to shovel the rain.
Beings how i've lived a hundred mile radius 50 yrs+ of where I'm at, I still haven't got used to it, but give it a day and it will change.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats the nice thing about living in a nude county... Hows that for some nightmares. Ha Ha Gotcha, but it's realy only the women that obey the law.

indianjoe

Founding Member
BarG,
my silk leaf usually gets 4-5 feet with average size leaves. It does have a tendency to sucker frequently. I top them when buds first appear and harvest three weeks after. They make for some good smoke and cure darker than a havana.

BarG

Founding Member
BarG,
my silk leaf usually gets 4-5 feet with average size leaves. It does have a tendency to sucker frequently. I top them when buds first appear and harvest three weeks after. They make for some good smoke and cure darker than a havana.
Thanks indianjoe, I'm going to let that first plant bud again and bag for jitterbugdude if he's interested in the seeds, but I'll certainly take your advice on the cousins.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my silkleaf,, is about 4 foot tall, and the leaves are very wide and long,,

a very nicelly filled out plant,

BarG

Founding Member
Most of my other silk leafs are a wider fuller leaf. I'm going to harvest the first one mid july.I have another early bloomer with the wider and bigger leaves I plan on bagging for someone in a climate with a short grow season.[Good idea jitterbugdude], instead of the first one. I'll save and label the seeds for interested members as an early bloomer. My clime this year has not been extreme so far. I'm also going to save from my biggest latest bloomer for this variety and plant a full row or 2 next year. If I'm lucky I'll get a 4' + plant before blooms appear.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you wanna see some seed heads, take a walk thru my patch,,,,

im pulling them off daily, im not ready to bag just yet<

Status
Not open for further replies.