Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone have a source for Maryland 32 seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Randy,
Is that an MD 32 variety? All that I can find is that MD 32 is a USDA type for Maryland Broadleaf, rather than a specific variety:

"Maryland Broadleaf Type 32. That type of air-cured tobacco also known as Southern Maryland or Maryland Air-cured tobacco produced principally in southern Maryland. Maryland is similar to burley but somewhat milder and lighter in taste. It is low in carbohydrates and nicotine and average in nitrogenous materials and nonvolatile acids."

This would suggest to me that this would include many of the Maryland varieties (excluding the PA Seedleaf and PA Broadleaf varieties, which are USDA Type 41). I suppose that if there are numbered varieties of Maryland at least as high as 609, then a numbered 32 might exist.

Maryland State Report 2007 said:
Maryland Type 32 tobacco has been produced in five Southern Maryland counties, Anne
Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Prince George's and St. Mary's, since the early colonial period.

http://www.msa.md.gov/megafile/msa/...0113/004000/004415/unrestricted/20071253e.pdf
You might take a drive to those southern counties and talk to the farmers.

News story from 2005 said:
A tobacco type that got its start nearly 400 years ago may be coming to an end in the United States.

Growers of Type 32 Southern Maryland tobacco planned to bring their 2005 production to a single warehouse in Hughesville Md., late last month for three days of auctions.

If buyers wouldn’t offer a price that would make the type competitive with burley, it seems quite possible that the type will disappear altogether from the state where it originated in the early 1600s.

http://southeastfarmpress.com/maryland-tobacco-may-be-going-smoke

I don't see this on Skychaser's site or on the Nicotianaproject.net site. I don't see MD 32 in the GRIN database.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have Maryland 609 and it is type 32 .

That's interesting... MD 609, type 32.
I was reading the other day about the original stains started by Rolfe back in Jamestown. The one was known as Orinoko and it was grown in Southern Maryland with Virginia favoring Sweet Scented. Supposedly it was still growing through 1929 when the USDA officially categorized/labelled the various tobacco plants. The USDA gave Orinoco the label of Maryland 32. I know that 300 years is a long time and that the current Maryland 32 probably has no resemblance to the original but I thought if I could get some seed and plant a few.

BigB.. is that Maryland 609 Type 32 the same stuff you grew last year?
Bob, every year my relatives have some kind of reunion in Southern Maryland... maybe I'll go this year and wander the back roads.

I probably misread the terminology. Maryland Broadleaf Type 32 is probably what I'm looking for. That makes it even more interesting since Connecticut Broadleaf was developed from Maryland Broadleaf and Pennsylvanian Broadleaf was developed from Connecticut Broadleaf. Might be interesting to grow all three and compare.
Randy

BigBonner

Founding Member
That's interesting... MD 609, type 32.
I was reading the other day about the original stains started by Rolfe back in Jamestown. The one was known as Orinoko and it was grown in Southern Maryland with Virginia favoring Sweet Scented. Supposedly it was still growing through 1929 when the USDA officially categorized/labelled the various tobacco plants. The USDA gave Orinoco the label of Maryland 32. I know that 300 years is a long time and that the current Maryland 32 probably has no resemblance to the original but I thought if I could get some seed and plant a few.

BigB.. is that Maryland 609 Type 32 the same stuff you grew last year?
Bob, every year my relatives have some kind of reunion in Southern Maryland... maybe I'll go this year and wander the back roads.

I probably misread the terminology. Maryland Broadleaf Type 32 is probably what I'm looking for. That makes it even more interesting since Connecticut Broadleaf was developed from Maryland Broadleaf and Pennsylvanian Broadleaf was developed from Connecticut Broadleaf. Might be interesting to grow all three and compare.
Randy

Randy

Its is the same Maryland I grew last year .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This year, I'm growing a number of seedleaf/broadleaf varieties:
Wisconsin:
  • WI Seedleaf (widest leaf)
  • WI 901
Pennsylvania:
  • Glessnor (darkest leaf)
  • Lancaster Seedleaf (lightest color leaf)
Maryland:
  • Catterton (straighter than Keller. Resembles stand-up burley)
  • Keller

Last year's CT broadleaf was a bit disappointing. It made adequate binder, but was not intact enough to make good wrapper.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.