Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How I grow Shade Leaf Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco roots usually spread into the available space (until they encounter a neighbor)--perhaps to a diameter of 3 feet (1 meter), and descend to a depth of about 12 inches (~30 cm). If the lateral space is restricted (as in a pot), then the roots go deeper.

Bob

Gavroche

OK thus if I am toffee-nosed in clearing in two irons of spade, that should be good

an iron of spade equals thirty centimeters or 11,811

Smokin Harley

First, A little explanation. I did not intend to grow any shade leaf this year but I had a few plants left over so I decided to throw something together and take some pics along the way.

Materials I use are: 1. Rebar -short for reinforcing bar, found in the concrete section of most big box Home Depot type stores.
2. 10 ft lengths of metal conduit-you need both 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch, these are found in the electrical section of Home Depot type stores
3. Shade cloth
4. Shade Cloth Clips- I get these from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, get the 1/2 inch for 1/2 inch conduit and 3/4 for 3/4 conduit.. you should get some of each.
5. Tobacco Plants
Most rebar comes in 10 ft lengths but Home Depot also sells it in 1, 2 and 4 ft lengths. If you do not have a way to cut a 10 footer then buy the 2 or 4 ft length.

Here are some 3 ft lengths I cut. 2ft will work but tends to make your poles (the conduit) a little wobbly.

View attachment 1064

I then pound them into the ground. I like to put 1 about every 6 to 8 feet. I usually make the width about 6 feet wide. I don't check the diagonals or do any other type of "carpentry work"
Just use a tape measure and pound the rebar in about 1ft minimum (2 ft is better). I leave at least 1ft of rebar sticking out of the ground

View attachment 1065

I then use a conduit bender and put a 90 degree bend at about 8 feet. If you plant to top your plants you can make this a lot shorter, 6ft would be fine in that case. If you do not have a conduit bender you can buy short pieces of already bent "90 degree radius" from the same place you bought your conduit. I take each piece and slip it over the rebar that is sticking out of the ground.

View attachment 1066

Notice the two pieces do not meet in the middle. This is where you take your 3/4 inch piece of conduit and slip over both ends of your 1/2 pieces. I use 5 ft lengths of 3/4 inch because it's easy to cut a 10ft piece in half. This will also give me a 6-8 ft width.

View attachment 1067

Once you have everything connected, slide your shade cloth over and attach with clips. I like 40% shade cloth. I tried 70% once and it made the leaf way too thin and devoid of any oils that would help with elasticity.

View attachment 1068

This is a little experimental for me this year. Usually I use a piece of shade cloth that drapes down both sides because the sun is not always directly overhead. These plants you see under the cloth are Florida Sumatra and Vuelto Abajo. The others are just left over Big Gems.

After you made this the first time (cutting the rebar, bending conduit etc) it should only take you about 20 minutes to put up every spring. You can make this as long and wide as you want .
If I may make one suggestion for others using conduit for the structure. Instead of bending the vertical members at the top . Maintain the full length of conduit (to allow varieties such as Ct Shade and the like since they can and most often do grow to almost 10 ft) and stand these 1/2 inch conduit verticals onto the rebar stakes and instead bend the TOP 3/4 inch conduit members at both ends (should make a reliably identical 8 foot wide roof member with even bends) , creates a watershed transitioning from 3/4 conduit to 1/2 conduit ,and both gravity and the shade cloth keep the top on the vertical members.

Smokin Harley

XandrasFarmlarge1.jpg
I love this picture . Sometimes I just go out to my shade structure ,look at my wrapper leaf varieties and smile.

Smokin Harley

Experienced shade growers - I have a question.
The commercial shade growers' covering is usually depicted as a WHITE cheesecloth looking covering. The covering I have and I have seen others with the same is BLACK. Still the same 40% cloth . The light filtering through WHITE cloth appears much brighter than BLACK cloth. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but do you see where I'm going with this? I'm thinking it may be the allowed spectrum of light even though it is simply sun light coming through perforations rather than through a colored tint of color as if it were plastic film.
Have any of you used both white and black cloth and noticed any difference in results between the two?
I notice the Ct Shade grown under WHITE seem to grow taller like around 8 ft or more. Whereas my plants are under BLACK and only making it to 4-5 ft and starting to bud . Many other variables (location,climate, soil, fertility, DNA) contribute .

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Smokin Harley: It is pretty much like if you have a room paint in a dark color, not much will grow "happy" in that room. But if you paint the same room in a light color both you and the thing you growing will feel better and more happy..

Gavroche

Smokin Harley: It is pretty much like if you have a room paint in a dark color, not much will grow "happy" in that room. But if you paint the same room in a light color both you and the thing you growing will feel better and more happy..

Feng Shui to tobacco ? (lol)

Smokin Harley

This is my question...but I had to buy what was available. and 40% WHITE shade cloth was not available. Just looking for real experience results in use of each /both.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I understand your question Smokin Harley And no, I unfortunately don't have the experience you want;
but I have a pretty good handle on the colors and its different features. This is exactly why so I am convinced that you will not get an accurate answer from someone.
The different colors play a big role in where in the world they grow. Even if they all let through as much light as they give different and cool and the light stays on different ways and some might get the heat to remain in the greater and less extent).

-But I don't really understand why they don't selling white or light blue.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Have grown under white shade [the real stuff] and black shade. I've never noticed a difference. For instance, a couple of years ago I grew some Florida Sumatra under the sun and under black shade. They both grew the same. an interesting problem for sure .

Smokin Harley

Have grown under white shade [the real stuff] and black shade. I've never noticed a difference. For instance, a couple of years ago I grew some Florida Sumatra under the sun and under black shade. They both grew the same. an interesting problem for sure .
Thanks JBD...this is the answer I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.