Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best time to prime for wrapper leaf varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
When is the best time to prime sun grown wrapper-binder varietys, and which leaf levels make the best wrapper and binders?

Tim

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
When is the best time to prime sun grown wrapper-binder varietys, and which leaf levels make the best wrapper and binders?

Tim

Good question. I'm going to guess the answer will be about 10 pages long. I'll start gathering information and will get back to you.

Points to review will be...

Small veins (undeveloped veins)

How many fermentation's the leaf will go through

What are the varieties in question

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Harvesting in Cuba

personaje1-1024x768.jpg
Shade grown. Pretty big mid-rib for a wrapper.

campo6-1024x768.jpg
Notice there is no yellowing or alligator skin on the leaf being harvested.

BarG

Founding Member
Varietys will be:

Havana 41
Havana 425
Florida Sumatra
Conn. Broadleaf

My BIGGEST questions are;

1-should you prime when leaf has best overall texture for a cured wrapper or binder...
[possibly before ripe]... but reachs a mature size?...In relation to plant budding out would that be too soon?

2-Is certain leaf positions more desirable-Or is it mainly a personal preference according to size,texture.

3-Best way to store the best leaves after air curing, [Flatten and tie into hands?]

Kilning won't come into play till I build one.:rolleyes:

I'll take a guess here and say the lugs aren't the best suited, but any presentable leaves above that could be used for wrappers or binders for my varietys.

You guys certainly could write a book on it but that won't be necessary. Thanks FmGrowit

I might not know how to act If I get the materials and time to build a quality kiln, I'm rather fond of the unkilned wrappers I've been using.:cool:

My homegrown will be a different story though being sun grown..

That second picture you can see the support string where its tied on the stalk.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
a kiln dont take long to build,,,,

just redneck, it and used recycled lumber, you may have lying around, or tin,, tin would work good, because it builds up heat by itself, when in the sunlight,

just think of my kiln while your building it,

i used road signs,,, scrap wood, and bought some caulkin,,,, and hinges, for the door.:cool:

BarG

Founding Member
I'm waiting on 1 main ingrediant that I want for mine, 1 1/2" x 2'x 4' sheets of plain old styrofoam insulation.
I don't want to use the stuff for wall sheathing from home depot. That stuff has more chemicals you can shake a stick at. If I'm not mistaken the celotex used to have a form of cyanide in it released when burned.
I want something I can keep in a big walk in closet.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wrapper and binder are usually primed at the barely mature stage (the leaf color changes from dark green to a slightly yellower green), rather than waiting for "ripe." In between the two stages, the very tip of the leaf may yellow. If it becomes too rugose (puckered or bumpy), then it will fail to lay flat.

The lowest leaves typically are physically damaged (holes, tears, etc.--I call them mud lugs). Just above those, up to the half-way point on the stalk (I call them lugs) the leaf tends to be the largest, lightest and thinest, and makes wonderful light wrappers. From the half-way point, up another 1/3 of the stalk, the leaves are smaller, darker and heavier (I call it "leaf"), and make darker wrapper. The upper portion of these can be kilned to a dark maduro. The top 1/6 of the stalk offers very intense leaves that are too small for wrappers or binders.

So, the bottom half, minus the trashy leaf at the very bottom, may be your best wrappers in sun-grown tobacco. I string them back to back in pairs on wire and just hang them. They won't acquire a "cigar wrapper" taste and aroma until they are kilned or "fermented."

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Thank you Bob, That will help alot. It sounds pretty straight forward. I'll keep a close eye on the 7-8 plants getting closet to what you describe. A kiln is on my to do list but it is on hold for a time yet.

Tim

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well when you do build it,,, it must be documented,

we wanna see how them texans create things,

aint everything bigger in texas,???

BarG

Founding Member
Only our egos and a few unmentionables.:D Ive got a decent plan for the enclosure and when I find a source for my insulation I'll be ready to pick some brains for the thermostat hook up. I bought one already but not sure if its the right kind.
Its a lower thermostat for a water heater. I,m not positive if I can hook it up to a crock pot or not. You'll be able to set this one any where you want it, indoors or out in a covered area. Before I build I'll check with all you experts for my diminsions to be sure they'll work.

Speaking of Texas Chickan, did you see that 300 lb, 8' 2" gar caught bow fishing down in Corpus Christy. I seen one bigger than that 45 years ago out of the trinity river. They had to lower the tailgate on a full size pickup for it to fit.

leverhead

well when you do build it,,, it must be documented,

we wanna see how them texans create things,

aint everything bigger in texas,???

Brute force and ignorance of limitations will get anything done. Once you've lived here for a few years, I think it's something in the water, the Levis 501 Texas cut are the only way to go! The fly is bigger.

BarG

Founding Member
I had to switch to Rustler due to outrageous price for button down 501's. They are still the best Iv'e ever worn as far as durability. They both fit my personality.:cool:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I want something I can keep in a big walk in closet.

If you want to hide the kiln in the open, I was planning on building a fake outhouse around mine with barn wood. Crescent moon in the door and everything. I'll probably use an upright freezer for the kiln. I just thought it would be pretty cool in a corner of the shop.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
If you want to hide the kiln in the open, I was planning on building a fake outhouse around mine with barn wood. Crescent moon in the door and everything. I'll probably use an upright freezer for the kiln. I just thought it would be pretty cool in a corner of the shop.
Yeah, till the firat time someone uses it. LOL -- John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

That does sound pretty cool. Be sure to post some pics when you get it finished.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yeah, till the firat time someone uses it. LOL -- John

My shop before I moved here had a back door that led outside. I put a WOMEN'S restroom sign on the door and really got a hoot out of the expressions on the girls faces when they opened the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.