Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Don't leave a Sucker alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Suckering plants is one of the most important aspects of obtaining greater yield for a tobacco plant. Trying:

1. Completely removing the young sucker, suckers will regrow

2. Breaking the sucker, but leaving the sucker attached, occasionally works to retard the new growth of suckers

Other than spraying for suckers, any method is time-consuming on a large number of plants. Removing suckers seems to just multiply the plants suckering ability. Breaking the sucker and leaving the sucker attached will somewhat prevent additional sucker formation at that juncture. Maybe the plant "thinks" the sucker is still attached. Any observations you might have had ?

BarG

Founding Member
I'll give it a try and let you know. Iv'e mostly just had to remove a few shoots at root base so far.

Great topic though, thanks.

I'd never find a chemical sucker control around my local.

Daniel

Banned
I found breaking the sucker worked better last year. Eventually a new sucker does start but not nearly as soon as if you removed it. It worked on all 4 varieties of tobacco I grew.

leverhead

My Southern Beauty's are suckering allot, about 1/2 pound on 150 plants yesterday. That was the third time through this year. I'm sure there are plenty more to come, I'll give it a try.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im experimenting with a lot of strains, to see which one i like,,,'' i plan on just growing 4 varities next year''

DARK VIRGINIA suckers emminslly, it will not be in next years grow, '' my whole row is nothing but suckers''
ottoman,,suckers as the plant reaches maturity
bursa///same
..tn90.. no suckering
white stock burley//same
.....Y.T.B. a little,,
lizard tail==none
=ergo=none

im on top of all of it,,,, i'll pluck the suckers until the 2'nd priming, as ive picked the leaves half way up the plant, '' if any suckers wanna grow'' i'll let them------after the 2'nd priming,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A good organic sucker remover is plain old salad oil. Buy the cheapest stuff you can find and paint the leaf axil when the sucker is about an inch long. For commercial crops, it's often just dumped down the stalk and allowed to pool in the axil.

Try to keep it off your leaf though...it doesn't taste too good when smoked.

BarG

Founding Member
A good organic sucker remover is plain old salad oil. Buy the cheapest stuff you can find and paint the leaf axil when the sucker is about an inch long. For commercial crops, it's often just dumped down the stalk and allowed to pool in the axil.

Try to keep it off your leaf though...it doesn't taste too good when smoked.
Ha ha, Most burnt oil or grease tastes terrible , unless its bacon. It still never ceases to amaze how you learned all these common sense and not so common sense remedies.

edit; How about a marinate syringe filled with mineral oil . Give it a well aimed squirt.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i enjoy twisting the sucker leaf,,, like wrininging a chickens neck,

so i'll pass on the olive oil,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Ha ha, Most burnt oil or grease tastes terrible , unless its bacon. It still never ceases to amaze how you learned all these common sense and not so common sense remedies.

edit; How about a marinate syringe filled with mineral oil . Give it a well aimed squirt.:cool:

What about an old fashioned pump type oil can? They came in different sizes. The largest I've seen is 2 qt. Mine is one pint. The ones with the vertical spout and thumb pump give nice controlled amounts of oil.

John

BarG

Founding Member
What about an old fashioned pump type oil can? They came in different sizes. The largest I've seen is 2 qt. Mine is one pint. The ones with the vertical spout and thumb pump give nice controlled amounts of oil.

John

Those are hard to come by these days. I have a couple old ones from my grandfather that you pump the bottom of the can. I'm gonna try it with a few drops of mineral oil. Along with pinching off and leaving a bit, that seems to help too. You can also put a few drops of mineral oil on corn silk to discourage worms.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
leave it to johnlee,

to mention a item from the past,,,,,

he must be watching too many episodes of AMERICAN PICKERS<<<<<

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Those are hard to come by these days. I have a couple old ones from my grandfather that you pump the bottom of the can. I'm gonna try it with a few drops of mineral oil. Along with pinching off and leaving a bit, that seems to help too. You can also put a few drops of mineral oil on corn silk to discourage worms.

You're talking about the ones where you flex the bottom a little to get a little oil and "pop" it to get a lot. I was talking about the ones with a trigger to pull. They have a 6 oz. size on
Amazon for $4.52 + shipping As a kid I lived near the NYC railroad and the oilers carried huge ones for wheel bearing boxes.

As an aside. Shouldn't the name of this thread be "Don't Give the Sucker an Even Break"?

John

BarG

Founding Member
You're talking about the ones where you flex the bottom a little to get a little oil and "pop" it to get a lot. I was talking about the ones with a trigger to pull. They have a 6 oz. size on
Amazon for $4.52 + shipping As a kid I lived near the NYC railroad and the oilers carried huge ones for wheel bearing boxes.

As an aside. Shouldn't the name of this thread be "Don't Give the Sucker an Even Break"?

John

Lol, Yea I have the popper cans and almost metioned the sound they make. I like the title too thats funny. I have noticed a difference in the few days since not giving a sucker an even break.;)

indianjoe

Founding Member
New Thread Title: "Don't give the sucker an even break"

John,
I'll let you know when I title another :)

wazzappenning

i dont suppose someone could post a pic of a sucker, so i know what to look for when the time comes? or will i just know that thing doesnt belong there? where do they come from? leaf, stalk. root system?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Once again:

In the photo, the sucker is just to the right of the main stalk. This sucker has a short stalk and a couple of tiny leaves emerging. They tend to emerge from the axil, which is the crotch between the main stalk and a leaf stem. If allowed to grow, they will become an alternate branch of the stalk.
Garden_20110716B_14_Suckering_Sucker_300.jpg

TobaccoSuckers_Billings.jpg

From Billings.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
in MICHIBACCY grow log, he made a video of him plucking a sucker,

Status
Not open for further replies.