• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anybody hazard a guess what variety this might be?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Clearly, both the seed packager and the vendor did not know the variety. If the seed looks like espresso-ground coffee, it is some variety of Nicotiana tabacum. If instead it looks like a coarser percolator-ground coffee, then it may be Nicotiana rustica. But it could be some other, utterly unsmokable species of Nicotiana.

Given their age, likely dubious storage, and their complete lack of provenance, I would only bother with them if you just like a challenge.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Colonial Williamsburg is a tourist trap in Virginia that my mother went to in her later years (1990's). They sell all kinds of stuff via catalog. After my mom died, I continued to get their catalogs, but haven't seen one for several years. I still have an expensive mechanical clock and a set of equally expensive coffee mugs from there (2004). None of these items are actually made in Williamsburg. All are English imports.

Bob is correct. I wouldn't bother trying to grow these unless you are just curious. I would suspect those seeds are just more expensive tourist knick-knacks.

Wes H.