Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BarG 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I am looking to grow primarily cigarette tobacco this year. I am wanting to plant hardy burly, and Maryland varieties. for central Texas. Seed recomends and suppliers will be greatly appreciated. I want to grow for a 3-4 year supply.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
If you like Burley taste I would recommend BURLEY-JUPITER, it have bad resistance against the most thing but taste much. I have alot of Burley variants because they are often perfect to have in "Snus" tobacco mixes.This year I will grow LOCKWOOD-BURLEY and perhaps BALDIO VERA I Don't know much but there taste but they are for sure interesting..Please let me know if you would like some seed..

BarG

Founding Member
I have burlys aged naturaly and also bursas and ottomans ,silver rivers and ..... this year I want to grow ? havent decided yet but it will be good.

silver river for flavor, burley for strength, maryland for mellow.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That sounds great Silver River are pretty similar to Black Bolivian and it is one of my favorite.. But when it comes to Burley variants it is pretty important to know if it is a variant with much taste or if it is have less taste. If you like the Burley taste Jupiter is a good alternative if not it might be the worst thing you can grow..By the way I think bout Jupiter and Baldio Vera are low Nic Burley variants. Lockwood is little interesting because it was growing first time 1916 (I think) but also growing much later (1960-1980), I found some research from 1980 and think that it was a new version of a old variant, pretty much like the L-C variants you can find. To be honest I use to change my grow list alot of times before I finally start to grow so I know how it is..

OldDinosaurWesH

I like "Golden Burley" from northwoodseeds. GB is a fairly mild Burley that has a nice floral fragrance after kilning.

Wes H.

BarG

Founding Member
I aint even worried about a variety. I did a bunch of plantings for different varietys as a part of ftt's reswarch a few yrs ago. I found them all smokable heh heh after ageing for several years. I still have so much tobacco stored up from a few years of growing it blows me away.

BarG

Founding Member
I put em in boxes and bags and hanging em from every where. my conclusion, is it's all good. I have kilned. totally recommended for quick results, but not necessary for long term. One thing that is a must is to make sure your tobacco is completely dry before storage ,stems espescialy, to keep the dreaded tobacco pest out.

BarG

Founding Member
101_0027.jpgOk here is my start for this year. A couple rows of tobacco and the rest of the area will be vegetables. I had a cover crop of oats and rye all fall and winter so this is my first turning of the soil.

I miss the green but a small price for what it will yield.

BarG

Founding Member
Last fall I added probably 9 yds. of top soil from a pond I am digging since this is my same primary garden from the last 15 years. It is about 20yds x 14 yds for now or about 2500 sq'.

BarG

Founding Member
Yehaw! I just found some burly seeds. Ky 908 and Ky 10. I grew these a few years ago and am just now running out, I have been smokin it, lol. Here is an update on my 2018 garden prep. Jitterbugdude sent me some silver river and Maryland seeds as well as some really good homeade orange dip(yum) heh heh, and an cool pipe tobacco,(Semois) Thanks again my friend.

I am sterilizing my grow trays with chlorox and starting my seeds in mid march. I should be able to transplant in late april after last chance of frost. A few years ago I got snow in early April. It killed and stunted a lot of my corn.
I am using miricle grow and my greenhouse to germinate and allow for transplant. I hope its like riding a horse since I haven't grown tobacco in 4-5 years. 9I still have a huge stash still aging , but I still buy on occasion from Don and BigBonner.

Attachments

• 101_0030.jpg
    101_0030.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php
I see a phone booth beside the field. Dr. Who, maybe?

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
That planting area looks so nice. The dirt is beautiful.

Dan

I have been working that dirt, Thanks. I added 20 yds of top soil this year from a pond dig. This has been my same garden for 15 yrs. An exceptional year since this place is mine now. As of february.

BarG

Founding Member
I have my single 72 cell tray sterilized and filled with miracle grow dirt. My greenhouse is set up and I decided to start all seeds in my tray and cull from there, so as not to waste them. No pics till they are growing heh heh.

Maryland
silver river
prilep
semois
ky908 I will do germinations on all after thought , heh heh.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
cool to see you steady growing. even though you say you got's lot's of stored baccy.

I know I haven't been on in a coons age... BUT MY HOME COMPUTER WENT DOWN.. and I just recently got me a lap top... I don't do website posting from the phone. I like to see a big screen. last years grow for me was terrible... it was real hot in FLA.and 2 hurricanes,,,,

but this year I got 3 trays full of seedlings 336 plants.....and I got a lot of seedlings that I haven't transplanted to the trays yet... [ im thinking I may take some trays to the FLEA-MARKET and see how they sell //????}

im gonna plant them close.. 4 rows wide, then a walkway. not to close. but real close with enough room for the leaves to airirate and move, I got a nice barn I built just for bacca curing. that hasn't been used yet.

I don't know if i'll do a grow thread.? i'll have to have my son show me how to upload pic's on this lap-top.

BUT IM BACK...YOU'LL BE SEEING A LOT MORE OF ME ON HERE

ive been working my veggie garden plot by adding organic materials to it just like your doing,and in my field of work im around all types of soil building material daily... one day it's peanut hulls...then the byproduct from a cotton gin...delivering to a hay field. and leaving with 2 buckets full of cow shit....to silage [ ground up corn plants for cow feed ] and the list goes on.

but it takes a lot of material just to make a small difference,my fall garden is looking good right now.. I got potatoes and collards...that's all for now. but some things in starter trays waiting to go out there,

maybe i'll take some pics of the garden. and have my son show me how to work this thing. and put them in the veggie thread,,

BarG

Founding Member
cool to see you steady growing. even though you say you got's lot's of stored baccy.

I know I haven't been on in a coons age... BUT MY HOME COMPUTER WENT DOWN.. and I just recently got me a lap top... I don't do website posting from the phone. I like to see a big screen. last years grow for me was terrible... it was real hot in FLA.and 2 hurricanes,,,,

but this year I got 3 trays full of seedlings 336 plants.....and I got a lot of seedlings that I haven't transplanted to the trays yet... [ im thinking I may take some trays to the FLEA-MARKET and see how they sell //????}

im gonna plant them close.. 4 rows wide, then a walkway. not to close. but real close with enough room for the leaves to airirate and move, I got a nice barn I built just for bacca curing. that hasn't been used yet.

I don't know if i'll do a grow thread.? i'll have to have my son show me how to upload pic's on this lap-top.

BUT IM BACK...YOU'LL BE SEEING A LOT MORE OF ME ON HERE

ive been working my veggie garden plot by adding organic materials to it just like your doing,and in my field of work im around all types of soil building material daily... one day it's peanut hulls...then the byproduct from a cotton gin...delivering to a hay field. and leaving with 2 buckets full of cow shit....to silage [ ground up corn plants for cow feed ] and the list goes on.

but it takes a lot of material just to make a small difference,my fall garden is looking good right now.. I got potatoes and collards...that's all for now. but some things in starter trays waiting to go out there,

maybe i'll take some pics of the garden. and have my son show me how to work this thing. and put them in the veggie thread,,

It is great to hear from you chicken, those hurricanes are hell on steroids where your at. I am far enough from the coast. I am glad to grow again this year. I have been so busy adding on to my shop and working to pay for it that I am just now starting my seeds, only 40 plants from a few hundred. Gotta start back even easing into it. Plus I got chickens now with lots of chicken manure to add heh heh to my soil. And all the eggs I can eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.