Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BTs 2017 Better late Than ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
That's not what the article says. The "3D" fencing refers to a lower outer fence that will require a deer to jump it, but also a taller inner fence that is close enough to the outer fence that a deer does not have room to accelerate to jump the taller one.

Bob
Your talking 2 fences.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Last ones planted.
View attachment 21105View attachment 21106
They remind me of Izmir.
the graden is tight there will be watermelon, cantalope, pumpkin and squash vines growing in the Baccy patch:confused:

I remember your quote on my grow log in February. It went something like "I cleared my head, I'm not growing this year" lol. But it's nice to see you had a change of heart. If you miss a season growing, that's one less season you missed out on that you can never get back, so make the most of it and every year.

Brown Thumb

It's not clear yet, I had to plant these seeds since they were gifted to me and came from Bulgaria or was it Bolivia:confused:
It kinda looks like prelep to me:confused:
image.jpgimage.jpg

Brown Thumb

This ain't Cool:mad:
There early or Im late :confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3

Brown Thumb

I Get a Wacked out plant every year.:confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 2

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah me too, vuelta abajo twice in a row. I wonder if I missed a rock or something or if it's just the "crap phenotype" chance coming up.

Brown Thumb

Tomato and tobacco hornworms are both immature, larval stages of large moths. The damage these worms cause in your garden is the same, but they have different markings. Tomato hornworms have a black horn on their rear with white, V-shaped marks pointing forward along their bright green sides. Tobacco hornworms have a red horn on their posterior and diagonal white stripes along their sides.
I always thought they were the same basterds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The differences are interesting. I've never had tomato hornworms, but I have had tobacco hornworms on my tomatoes. It seems that, so long as there is plenty of tobacco to choose from, the tobacco hornworm moths (Manduca sexta) pretty much avoid the tomatoes. I'm sure that the larval chemical defense is more potent if they feed on tobacco.

Bob

Brown Thumb

The differences are interesting. I've never had tomato hornworms, but I have had tobacco hornworms on my tomatoes. It seems that, so long as there is plenty of tobacco to choose from, the tobacco hornworm moths (Manduca sexta) pretty much avoid the tomatoes. I'm sure that the larval chemical defense is more potent if they feed on tobacco.

Bob
Odd, I have hornworms chowing down my Baccy Patch big time.
I don't want to do it but I'm gonna hit them with some Seven tomorrow.
They haven't touched my tomato plants 15 ft. Away:confused:

BarG

Founding Member
I have noticed that over the past 20 years the hornworms are showing up earlier each year. I used to see them by about July 8th. then July 4th. Last year they showed up on 23 June. This year they showed up on June 16th.
I am hoping they will pass me up next year. I am not on their radar, maybe. LOL

They kow your a sure thing , heh heh

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've never had tomato hornworms, but I have had tobacco hornworms on my tomatoes.

I've had that problem too. What I typically do is pick up the lost hornworms and place them on the appropriate plants.... then kill them.

Spinosad or BT works wonders on hornworms and it doesn't kill beneficial insects like Sevin does.

Gmac

shotgun.jpg
Tomato and tobacco hornworms are both immature, larval stages of large moths. The damage these worms cause in your garden is the same, but they have different markings. Tomato hornworms have a black horn on their rear with white, V-shaped marks pointing forward along their bright green sides. Tobacco hornworms have a red horn on their posterior and diagonal white stripes along their sides.
I always thought they were the same basterds.
I use ferti.lome spinosad for the worms and a 20 inch 20 gauge shotgun for the Moths. (we call them hummingbird moths down here. hunt them at dusk with a good headlight. I hand grabbed two last year. One bit me. I say like the Lone Ranger, "head'm off at the pass!" Gmac

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.